been gone for 10 days (jk mods) - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > been gone for 10 days (jk mods)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #511
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Are you changing ratio's?
Is your ring and or pinion damaged?
You may want to use the gears that are already worn-in rather than install new one's at this time.
New gears need to wear in slowly and a trip to Moab with heavy wheeling will cause them to heat up and possibly fail.
The install will be a lot easier as well because the pinion will not need to be removed. You should only need to set the back-lash.
Good luck
these 4.88's are only 2-3 months old ( ...ring got chunked on a couple of teeth, i'm guessing from the spider gear tooth slinging loose or vice versa. there were big chunky bits of metal all over the bottom of the diff.

moab is up in the air, right now. i've got the parts on the way, but now i've spent all my loot i had put aside for moab on fixing the jeep (which isn't all the way fixed yet), and i haven't even started the $1000+ moab trip yet. argh. i would've been able to deal w/ a broken jeep after moab...lol.

...so i'm giving serious thought to it b/c moab will be there when i'm ready, i'm sure. i don't want to rush it or put myself in a financially sensitive situation; it's gotta be right on all fronts.

stay tuned for more info on the locker. ...i'm definitely excited about that!

b_c

joe

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #512
Corvetteboy
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
lol...yeah, i try to wash the jeep once a week or so. helps with gas mileage and preservation.

b_c
Explain how it helps with gas mileage??I will start doing this if that's the case!!!!

2008 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon-4" skyjacker on 35's,lod front & rear,warn powerplant,front & rear cameras,amp research powersteps,navi with mygig,dual battery mount,cobra 75 cb.

2008 jeep wrangler unlimited-6.5"LA BDS,2" body,40" mudd grapplers,smittybilt front & rear,xrc8 winch,front & rear cameras,5:13s,bushwacker flat fenders,line-x'd grille/front bumper/shocks/d rings/fenders,,iggy leather seat covers,dual steering stabilizers,dana 44 front and rear,adj.track bar,dual battery mount,cobra 75 cb,tom woods driveshafts,teraflex big brake kit.
Corvetteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #513
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
oh yeah, the craigslist mod....

mod 51 - highlift 48" jack - i had this sitting in my jeep for a few months, now it's sitting in my garage. i've got to figure out how to mount it without spending $70 on the mounts.

(craigslist...$50)

t-minus 3weeks for moab pt 2...

b_c

Didn't realize you live in Denver man, I've been lurking.

Wondering if when I make it out there for my NPS job at Curecanti if you would wanna take a weekend and show me some trails (if you know any yet), or meet up in moab?

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #514
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvetteboy View Post
Explain how it helps with gas mileage??I will start doing this if that's the case!!!!
Supposedly reduces drag and weight. I wash mine every week just to make it look great.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #515
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvetteboy View Post
Basic physics...coefficient of friction. Air over smooth surfaces travels more efficiently. Not that you get 5 miles more but it helps. Plus rust prevention for sure.

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
Unread 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #516
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Didn't realize you live in Denver man, I've been lurking.

Wondering if when I make it out there for my NPS job at Curecanti if you would wanna take a weekend and show me some trails (if you know any yet), or meet up in moab?

yeah, we (wife, son, me) got here in oct 2009...been wheeling hard ever since!

check out the link in my sig for the jeep club i run in colorado...Colorado JeepPeople. we have runs almost weekly now that the weather is getting nice so just let us know when you're gonna be out, and i'm sure we'll find something to do

oh, check this out...

...finally got the rock lights all mounted and wired. pretty good light coverage! can't wait to go on a night run!

b_c

Unread 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #517
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

lock'er up

mod 53/54 - aussie locker & yukon 4.88 replacement gears for the d30 - well, if you've been keeping up w/ my build, then you'd know that i have had a run on the bank, i guess you could say. i'm hoping these latest mods fix the front-end for a while, i'm tired of dropping money into a d30

i'm excited to see how much the locker helps up front. i know it's not a "true" locker, but it's something more than nothing. combine that the new shafts and with the gearset i got a couple of months back and black jeep should have the meanest d30 west of the mississippi...i think she'll be better capable on these colorado trails come summertime.

(northridge4x4.com...gears and the locker + 2-day air...$464.95)

...gears and locker should go in tomorrow. still up in the air about moab. money is the main thing b/c i'm sure i could break these gears in before monday.

b_c

Unread 04-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #518
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

soooo...good news and bad news. good news is the new gears and locker are in. bad news is that when we were going to put the shafts back in, we noticed that the upper/lower ball joints are blown on the passenger side and the lower is going out on the drivers side.

:thumb down: :thumb down:

i know i can't cuss on this bbs, but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

so another $239.00 goes into this d30 for a 4-set of synergy systems. i'll never by a "new" jeep again. i'll buy used, save the thousands and drop it back into the parts...this is ridiculous jeep/chrysler! make stuff that lasts or at least that we can service ourselves w/o having to buy new stuff to replace the poorly engineered stuff you've given us!

stay tuned...

b_c

Unread 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #519
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c
soooo...good news and bad news. good news is the new gears and locker are in. bad news is that when we were going to put the shafts back in, we noticed that the upper/lower ball joints are blown on the passenger side and the lower is going out on the drivers side.

:thumb down: :thumb down:

i know i can't cuss on this bbs, but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

so another $239.00 goes into this d30 for a 4-set of synergy systems. i'll never by a "new" jeep again. i'll buy used, save the thousands and drop it back into the parts...this is ridiculous jeep/chrysler! make stuff that lasts or at least that we can service ourselves w/o having to buy new stuff to replace the poorly engineered stuff you've given us!

stay tuned...

b_c
How many miles are on your rig now?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #520
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
How many miles are on your rig now?
just shy of 28k...

b_c

Unread 04-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #521
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
just shy of 28k...

b_c
and already ball joint failure??? wow...We have all read plenty on early failure, 35-45K, but less than 30?

Sorry 'bout your luck man What route are you going, poly performance or, gulp, Dynatrac?

Edit: I see above
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #522
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
and already ball joint failure??? wow...We have all read plenty on early failure, 35-45K, but less than 30?
yeah, i've wheeled black jeep pretty hard. plus i've got those heavy @$$ steel rims on there w/ 33's. i'd check yours occasionally if i were you. simple to check just lift up front axle a bit. put a 2x4 under the tire and push down up on the piece of wood...your wheel shouldn't wobble. if it wobbles, you either have ball-joint or wheel bearing problems.

Unread 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #523
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

stay outta my stash! ;)

i don't know if i should be saying this publicly or not, but i rarely lock my jeep. i don't keep anything of value in the jeep other than some prescription glasses and my tools, so if someone needs that stuff that bad, have at it...i'd rather replace a $100 tool set than a $600-700 slashed soft top.

mod 55 - tuffy security products conceal carry underseat security drawer - there are instances though that i will carry around my gps and some other more important items; no gun yet, but that's soon, i think. ...so when i saw this item on craigslist for $60 i had to snag it. it's practically brand new, no scratches and the guy i bought it off of said he only had his jeep for 3 months before his wife made him sell the jeep b/c she couldn't drive a standard

anyway, his loss is my gain. saved approx. $50 between regular price and what shipping would've been.

(craigslist...$60)

...my wife says when she's depressed shopping usually helps. i tell you what, i rather be in moab, right now

b_c

Unread 04-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #524
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice catch on the tuffy box man. FYI a full size 1911 or compact XD fit in it great. Alway handy when wheeling or daily driving.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #525
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
Nice catch on the tuffy box man. FYI a full size 1911 or compact XD fit in it great. Alway handy when wheeling or daily driving.
i like the xd...i'm definitely going .40cal or above when i do decide to purchase a handgun...i need a bear deterrent whenever we go camping.

(btw, i've never owned a handgun before...so this is a big thing for me, if i decide to do it...never really liked them nor saw the need for one. i've got a beretta 12-gauge and german shorthaired pointer, and i know how to use both for fun and/or protection. it's just now, we're camping, and it's a little hard to reel around a shotgun in a tent, if need be)

b_c

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift , lift kit , poison spider customs , rancho , teraflex , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.