been gone for 10 days (jk mods) - Page 34 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > been gone for 10 days (jk mods)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #496
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post
it's either that or spend about 400 on a set of new chromoly shafts for the rear.

let's hope he'll hook me up.

b_c
Go chromoly if money permits man. That d44 with alloy shafts will have the strength of a stock d60 in your JK. Those axles are made stronger than the normal TJ d44 axles.

Then upgrade to 36's or 37's!!!

Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #497
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

i got the shaft...

i got the shaft, i got shafted, etc, etc...

...does this count as an upgrade? i'm gonna list it, anyway, even though they're replacement oems. after all, they're new to me. hmmmm...that has me thinking, i probably need to list the new rear end, too. soooooooo...

mod 48 - new jk d44 rear-end and new oem rear shafts - how could i pass this up?? ...i had 27,650 miles on the jeep; the new rear and shafts have 50 miles!

new rear & shafts (rear was included in gear job (so free!?!); shafts cost me $100 extra)

old shafts

new shaft going in

i think i see why it was leaking

craigslist mod is still in the back of the jeep

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM   #498
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

ruh roh...

front passenger...stealership says they probably won't warranty. everyone check your u-joints. a couple of buddies i have in houston have had theirs replaced. i felt something wrong for the last couple of months in the front. ...i'm "hoping" that this was the cause. ...wish i would've made the stealership check 'em sooner.

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
Unread 02-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #499
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:21 AM   #500
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

too expensive, j

...looking at the US ALLOYS 4340's for $550ish. i'm still working on the stealership. got a call today saying they weren't going to warranty, i'm calling their bluff and going in w/ my warranty manual tomorrow, which states that it WILL be covered. we'll see.

Unread 02-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #501
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

After spending about 1.5 hours last night, and about 45 minutes today...I made it through this front-to-back. Great thread! Love seeing the progress. I have decided that you have provided me the motivation to go ahead and start my own build thread...now let's hope that my wife will also be transferred to Denver

Good stuff, man subscribed
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #502
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
...I made it through this front-to-back. Great thread!

...lol. i'm thinking i should leave some pylons along the way so no one gets lost

thanks for the read...i go back to the beginning from time to time to look at what i've done and what we've been through. i love my black jeep. ...she's still at the dealership. the service guy called and said he's still working with chrysler to see if they will warranty. he said he even had to take pics and send off to field engineer...wtf?

...anyway, i should know something by tuesday. either way, i got good news from work that i'll be getting a bonus. not a rcv-type bonus, j, but a bonus none-the-less. so even if they do warranty, i may upgrade to the 4340's anyway. tensile for 1045 is somewhere between 55-75ksi, 4340 is somewhere between 150-200ksi, so it just makes sense.

man...i still owe you all the "craigslist" mod from way back when. it's now outta my jk and in my garage. i've gotta figure out a mount for it in the back of the jk. any guesses on what it is? (i took a pic, lemme see if i can find it)

b_c

Unread 04-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #503
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

$700 down...

...but well spent.

mod 49/50 - alloy usa front d30 axle kit & alloy usa d30/44 grande axle seals -
after over a month of not driving my black jeep, i was having serious withdraws. family first though. finally mid-march after 2 years of not getting one, my company pulled through and sent me a bonus of almost 18% of my yearly salary. needless to say some new clothes for the wife and son were one the list as well as mod 49/50. i've got them on after a good wrench session, and all seems well. i do have a slight "rub" sound/feel on the passenger side that i want to sort out. i think it's the brake shield, but lo and behold i lost my lug key. new one's on the way. so i'll have an update here soon.

(southwestjeepsupercenter.com...$635.90; free shipping)

b_c

Unread 04-03-2011, 03:50 AM   #504
AlanZ
2007 JK Wrangler 

What's the craigslist mod!? Ahhh!

Great thread! Keep up the good work!
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #505
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanZ View Post
What's the craigslist mod!? Ahhh!

oh yeah, the craigslist mod....

mod 51 - highlift 48" jack - i had this sitting in my jeep for a few months, now it's sitting in my garage. i've got to figure out how to mount it without spending $70 on the mounts.

(craigslist...$50)

t-minus 3weeks for moab pt 2...

b_c

Unread 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #506
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

the bearings on the jeep go round and round...

...or at least they're supposed to.

seems as if i may have played whack-a-bearing when i broke the ears and clunked down the trail for 10miles

(the bearings in the jk are sealed in the hub, btw...unlike my '86 bronco)

mod 52 - replacement oem wheel hubs/bearings (front) - so i called the local dealership...$183/ea for the hub! wtf?!? i called my dad and told him to get some for me w/ his discount. found out that they are supposed to list at $149. so these f-wads over here were trying to make almost another $40 off me. dad ended up being able to get them for ~$103/ea. dang...nice to have "connections". they're on their way from TX, so it'll be a couple of days. i'm really hoping this solves my issues...moab is only 12 days away.

Unread 04-14-2011, 08:34 AM   #507
JackAce
2009 JK Wrangler 

this thread is great. i cant wait to see what your trip to moab winds up forcing you to upgrade lol
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #508
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAce View Post
this thread is great. i cant wait to see what your trip to moab winds up forcing you to upgrade lol
dude...oh, man...don't say it like that. the well has run dry...lol. choose good lines and all will be well is the experience we had last time. i'm hoping for the same.

b_c

Unread 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #509
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

why why why why????

...well, it isn't/wasn't the hubs. check this ***** out:

i hadn't removed the diff cover because when i originally took out the drain plug and fluid back when i did the shafts, i didn't see any shavings and the fluid was clear. well, this weekend i had some buddies over and we were wrenching on our jeeps...one of my buddies suggested we check the spiders, and lo and behold, this toothless bastard showed his face. seems like this is the cause of the problems i'm experiencing.

1 week to moab! i'm skitzing out....

i have a new ring/pinion set and a aussie locker on the way...should be here by wednesday. i'll do a write-up when they get here.

b_c

Unread 04-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #510
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Are you changing ratio's?
Is your ring and or pinion damaged?
You may want to use the gears that are already worn-in rather than install new one's at this time.
New gears need to wear in slowly and a trip to Moab with heavy wheeling will cause them to heat up and possibly fail.
The install will be a lot easier as well because the pinion will not need to be removed. You should only need to set the back-lash.
Good luck

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift , lift kit , poison spider customs , rancho , teraflex , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.