been gone for 10 days (jk mods) - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > been gone for 10 days (jk mods)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #241
Nuts
2009 JK Wrangler 

My tires are about due for a rotation as well, and I was planning on doing the five tire rotation this weekend. My question is after you rotated the tires did you do the alignment yourself or did you take it somewhere to get it done.

If you did it yourself how easy is it to do because I have never done this before considering I am new to the Jeep World.

Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #242
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
My tires are about due for a rotation as well, and I was planning on doing the five tire rotation this weekend. My question is after you rotated the tires did you do the alignment yourself or did you take it somewhere to get it done.

If you did it yourself how easy is it to do because I have never done this before considering I am new to the Jeep World.

hey nuts...welcome to the jeep world and my build journal (i was a newcomer only but 7-months ago)...

...as far as i know, an alignment isn't needed when rotating your tires. you'd only need an alignment if you notice some really odd wearing and/or if you've modified your suspension/steering and/or you've hit something really hard (like a rock or a large pot hole). ...you'd notice a "pull" to one side or another.

a balance would be nice, and will happen when the tires age to 15K miles.

just make sure to check your torque on the lug nuts and air pressure in the tires, and drive on...

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13

Last edited by b_c; 05-20-2009 at 01:57 PM..
b_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #243
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

son of a b.....

^^^i missed that "warning" in the lift disclaimer. dangit! now i need some new wheels before the install.

(yeah, i know about the spacers, but that's not the way i want to roll).

i talked w/ a buddy and he said that the lift is still doable if i leave the rear sway bar disconnected, but i drive 50+ miles/day in the black jeep and i don't like the feeling i get in my stomach thinking about that.

anyone have any suggestions? i like the cragar steelies ~69.99/ea...

...advantages/disadvantages of steelies vs. alloys (besides weight).

b_c

greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends -john 15:13
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #244
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go alloys. Personally I think they look better, weather better, and hold up better. Plus, everyone and their mothers mall crawler has steelies
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #245
robertgmullen
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_c View Post

^^^i missed that "warning" in the lift disclaimer. dangit! now i need some new wheels before the install.

(yeah, i know about the spacers, but that's not the way i want to roll).

i talked w/ a buddy and he said that the lift is still doable if i leave the rear sway bar disconnected, but i drive 50+ miles/day in the black jeep and i don't like the feeling i get in my stomach thinking about that.

anyone have any suggestions? i like the cragar steelies ~69.99/ea...

...advantages/disadvantages of steelies vs. alloys (besides weight).

b_c
Alloy wheels dampen vibration better and give a little smoother highway ride. If you have a ton of sidewall this probably won't even be noticeable. Steel is tough as nails, cheap, and looks good if you want a more old school approach. I went with steel.
robertgmullen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #246
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think if you put the rear links on the inside you can get away without new wheels or spacers. Spacers are the cheaper route. I picked up some Rough Country ones for $120 new off their website. I plan to sell them when I have cash for new wheels.

Colorado Jeep Club member #2007

My JK Build Thread
rballman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #247
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceface View Post
Go alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgmullen
I went with steel.

ummm...okay.

for the sake of money and looking at having to complete my purchase of the rear bumper ($500 remaining balance), and looking ahead to a possible re-gear, here's what i had discount tire work up for me:

5 - unique 297's (17x8 w/ 4.5" backspacing ... think "cragar soft 8's")
5 - bfg km2's (285/70r17)

Total with tax, tpms switch, yadda yadda ===> ~$1775

i think i can turn around and get $400-$600 for my current wheels/tires...so i would be looking at a total spend of $1175~$1375.

ouch, the wifey is not gonna like that...

b_c

Unread 05-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #248
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ummm...okay.

for the sake of money
Quote:
here's what i had discount tire work up for me:

5 - unique 297's (17x8 w/ 4.5" backspacing ... think "cragar soft 8's")
5 - bfg km2's (285/70r17)

Total with tax, tpms switch, yadda yadda ===> ~$1775

No....wait...Hell No!!! Discount will rape you without even offering Lava soap!

See what Gabe down a 4wp's off South 610 and Fannin can get for you. Also, check craigslist. There are always dummies buying wrong sized tires.

Also, are you set at staying at a 17" wheel? 15" are a whole lot cheaper, so are the tires.

Finally. CMX can do your gears also. Run you around 1k last time I checked...Do both the bedliner and the gears at the same time and I'll bet Chad gives ya a break on the price too.
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #249
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, are you set at staying at a 17" wheel? 15" are a whole lot cheaper, so are the tires.

15's aren't doable on the jk's (caliper issues)...

...i was looking at the 16's, but i have plan for bigger tires in the future (37's), and if i can take the wheel-hit once, the 17's are the way i'll probably go.

...don't worry, though...lol...i plan to do my intensely in-depth finding of the best cost. craigslist is boo-boo, right now, and ebay has a few lookers, but nothing that i want.

4whlparts is my next call.

...if anything, i'll buy the wheels first to get the necessary backspacing needed, then upgrade the tires in about a month (hopefully before katemcy).

b_c

Unread 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #250
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

hold the line...

...just got of the phone w/ joe thompson @ teraflex and he said that he believes that if i DO NOT upgrade tire size that i WILL NOT have to worry about back spacing to begin with. he said he saw a guy running the same setup that i have on a '09 rubicon w/ the stock wheels/tires w/o having to add spacers.

what do y'all think?

here's what i don't want to do....

...i don't want to get all the way through installing this lift, then go to put on the wheels/tires and realize at the last moment that black jeep will have to sit on blocks for the amount of time it takes me to get some wheels and have my old tires mounted.

b_c

Unread 05-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #251
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well my friend.....if your going to order wheels/tires and a new Channel purse anyway, might as well do it now. lol

Or tiffany's earrings....

....ohh I hear Sak's is having a huge memorial day sale on womens shoes....might wanna take note. lol
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #252
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
....might wanna take note. lol

noted.

...i think you are onto something, though; a preemptive strike may be in order

f-it...

...i'm gonna go ahead w/ the lift install on saturday.

i need a contingency, though just in case it doesn't work out. discount's unique wheels are 5-7 business days away. i need to call 4whlprts and see if they've got the cragars or spacers on the floor.

b_c

Unread 05-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #253
JeepAubjh
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
noted.

...i think you are onto something, though; a preemptive strike may be in order

f-it...

...i'm gonna go ahead w/ the lift install on saturday.

i need a contingency, though just in case it doesn't work out. discount's unique wheels are 5-7 business days away. i need to call 4whlprts and see if they've got the cragars or spacers on the floor.

b_c
If your not changing tires right away there should be no problem with your current tires and the lift. But when you get new tires the width is going to be your issue. I would go with new wheels if it was me. Althought there is nothing wrong with spacers

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]2006 Jeep Wrangler X

4” lift, 35X12.50R-15 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2, 15x8 Ultra Baja Champ BLK MA LP, Fabtech Steering Skid, Skid Row Radiator Skid, RE Extended Brake Lines, RE Steering Stabilizer, JKS Discos, JKS ADJ Control Arms, JKS ADJ Trackbars, AtoZ Fabrication Rocker Guards. Trail-Gear Rear Tire Carrier, Superwinch LP8500, D44, Currie HD Tie Rod System, AA SYE and CV Driveshaft. ARB Snorkel. Riddler D44 diff Cover, Solid D30 Diff Cover, Novak TC Shifter.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepAubjh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #254
b_c
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepAubjh View Post
If your not changing tires right away there should be no problem with your current tires and the lift. But when you get new tires the width is going to be your issue. I would go with new wheels if it was me. Althought there is nothing wrong with spacers

new wheels are on the menu...just looking for the right recipe/price.

...i went outside to the office parking lot and laid down under the jeep for a while (woulda looked hell-a-funny if anyone woulda drove up or walked out). anyway...i think i'm fairly comfortable with the fact that i WILL NOT need new wheels as long as i keep the same width tires. there's two points that i need to keep my eye on though. one being the upper rear control arm and the other being the rear sway bar links. i think both should be alright from what i've seen and have read in the last few hours. only time will tell, though.

jeepaubjh, what are you doing saturday morning? cedrick is supposed to come over to help...you're more than welcome to swing by if you want. you remember where i live?

niceface, are you busy saturday morning...i've got an extra laser pointer sitting around.

b_c

Unread 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #255
JeepAubjh
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
new wheels are on the menu...just looking for the right recipe/price.

...i went outside to the office parking lot and laid down under the jeep for a while (woulda looked hell-a-funny if anyone woulda drove up or walked out). anyway...i think i'm fairly comfortable with the fact that i WILL NOT need new wheels as long as i keep the same width tires. there's two points that i need to keep my eye on though. one being the upper rear control arm and the other being the rear sway bar links. i think both should be alright from what i've seen and have read in the last few hours. only time will tell, though.

jeepaubjh, what are you doing saturday morning? cedrick is supposed to come over to help...you're more than welcome to swing by if you want. you remember where i live?

niceface, are you busy saturday morning...i've got an extra laser pointer sitting around.

b_c
what time? dont know if i will be able to stay all day or not. and PM me your address again i sort of remember but could posibly get lost

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]2006 Jeep Wrangler X

4” lift, 35X12.50R-15 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2, 15x8 Ultra Baja Champ BLK MA LP, Fabtech Steering Skid, Skid Row Radiator Skid, RE Extended Brake Lines, RE Steering Stabilizer, JKS Discos, JKS ADJ Control Arms, JKS ADJ Trackbars, AtoZ Fabrication Rocker Guards. Trail-Gear Rear Tire Carrier, Superwinch LP8500, D44, Currie HD Tie Rod System, AA SYE and CV Driveshaft. ARB Snorkel. Riddler D44 diff Cover, Solid D30 Diff Cover, Novak TC Shifter.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
JeepAubjh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , lift , lift kit , poison spider customs , rancho , teraflex , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.