Bedlining the JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bedlining the JK

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bedlining the JK

I want to do some sort of bedlining in my jeep, but have a few questions:

Besides the seats, what else should I remove first?
What is the best liner to put in?
Anything else I should bedline while im at it?
Any tips on how to do it properly?
Where there any issues you ran into?
Is it worth it?

Rescue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue13 View Post
Besides the seats, what else should I remove first?
Ummm.... The carpet would be a good start

In all seriousness... its a pretty simple task...

Remove carpet/ seats/ cargo thingy that covers jack/ any cargo in the cargo area/ remove doors and top just to make your job easier.... sand (not through the paint) every thing that will be getting painted/ tape everything off and then get to rolling on the good stuff.... your floor will be hotter/ and you will have more road noise but its not bad and it makes it much easier for cleaning out your rig after a trail ride... I would not do it for looks or just to say that you did it though... It definitely is not an appearance motivated job. Not that it looks bad, but unless your doing it to be able to actually use your drain plugs and spray out the inside then its just not worth the hassle. I cant speak for it yet but when I get around to bed lining my rig Im going to use the Monstaliner kit... It comes with enough stuff to do 2 Jeeps or one Jeep and a truck or whatever... Plenty of stuff, and it seems to be great material to work with. Oh... And your probably going to need air tools to get those seats out... They are in there tight as hell! As far as anything else to bed line... Thats up to you... I plan on bedlining my rocker panels before too long and I already did my grill and fender wells...
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

I don't understand why people do this. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I just don't get it. My carpet is out, I have rubber floor mats in, and I can hose out my Jeep just as easily as if it were bedlined. When I sell it, I can put the totally new carpet and floor mats back in, and it'll look absolutely like new.

Can you hose out the painted bed of a pickup? Yep. The only reason to bedline it is to prevent scratches in the paint from hauling stuff, right?
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
Ummm.... The carpet would be a good start

In all seriousness... its a pretty simple task...

Remove carpet/ seats/ cargo thingy that covers jack/ any cargo in the cargo area/ remove doors and top just to make your job easier.... sand (not through the paint) every thing that will be getting painted/ tape everything off and then get to rolling on the good stuff.... your floor will be hotter/ and you will have more road noise but its not bad and it makes it much easier for cleaning out your rig after a trail ride... I would not do it for looks or just to say that you did it though... It definitely is not an appearance motivated job. Not that it looks bad, but unless your doing it to be able to actually use your drain plugs and spray out the inside then its just not worth the hassle.
Not sure if i have 50 posts yet

Haha yes the carpet aswell i ment.

This is what i did last trail ride and their still is too much mud/dirt inside still, and it was a pain to clean out. So yes I could care less about the looks. My jeep is rescue green by the way.

Edit: I dont own any air tools. Is it that hard?
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinner View Post
I don't understand why people do this. I don't think it's a bad idea, but I just don't get it. My carpet is out, I have rubber floor mats in, and I can hose out my Jeep just as easily as if it were bedlined. When I sell it, I can put the totally new carpet and floor mats back in, and it'll look absolutely like new.

Can you hose out the painted bed of a pickup? Yep. The only reason to bedline it is to prevent scratches in the paint from hauling stuff, right?
You obviously havent seen the pic of my Jeep with a load of wood in it

Right now I have the same set up as you... I took out the carpet to prevent ruining it and to get ready to bedline and I really dont see a point in bedlining it until i get it all scratched up and so far there are very few scratches in it other then from putting the rear seat back in.... But yeah, i think it is just extra protection and it adds a bit of sound deadening to the floor after taking the carpet out.
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure if i have 50 posts yet

Haha yes the carpet aswell i ment.

This is what i did last trail ride and their still is too much mud/dirt inside still, and it was a pain to clean out. So yes I could care less about the looks. My jeep is rescue green by the way.

Edit: I dont own any air tools. Is it that hard?
Yeah... Its that hard... Im a pretty big guy (6'1" and 205) and I could not get these rear bolts to budge... its mainly due to the akward position you have to be in to get to them... It took me and my other buddy (prior heavy lifter, so also pretty big guy) just to get the front bolt free, then we got to the back bolts and both just kinda scratched our heads.
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah... Its that hard... Im a pretty big guy (6'1" and 205) and I could not get these rear bolts to budge... its mainly due to the akward position you have to be in to get to them... It took me and my other buddy (prior heavy lifter, so also pretty big guy) just to get the front bolt free, then we got to the back bolts and both just kinda scratched our heads.
Thats an issue. Im 5'7 and 140 haha.

Do you feel it is nessicary to take out the seats? My spelling is so bad.
What grit sand paper did you use?
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats an issue. Im 5'7 and 140 haha.

Do you feel it is nessicary to take out the seats? My spelling is so bad.
What grit sand paper did you use?
For my fender wells? I dont really remember... All you really need is those red scuff pads though... Your not wanting to sand it, you just want to scuff it up good so the liner will stick... If you order the monstaliner kit it comes with everything you need from prepping to applying. I would go with them.

And you would have to have some patients to keep from taking out the seats... You would have to be able to paint around them and I dont think thats possible... You will probably also end up with some spatter on the seats unless you covor them... Just take it to the dealer and maybe they will just crack the hold they nuts have and then you can tighten them back down with a wrench and that will allow you to be able to loosen them when you want.
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
For my fender wells? I dont really remember... All you really need is those red scuff pads though... Your not wanting to sand it, you just want to scuff it up good so the liner will stick... If you order the monstaliner kit it comes with everything you need from prepping to applying. I would go with them.

And you would have to have some patients to keep from taking out the seats... You would have to be able to paint around them and I dont think thats possible... You will probably also end up with some spatter on the seats unless you covor them... Just take it to the dealer and maybe they will just crack the hold they nuts have and then you can tighten them back down with a wrench and that will allow you to be able to loosen them when you want.
Going to the dealer is a very good idea. The one closest to me in not even a minute away. Do you think after all of this, i should have the dealer tighten the seats as were before? Is it a safety issue thing to have them that tight?
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Going to the dealer is a very good idea. The one closest to me in not even a minute away. Do you think after all of this, i should have the dealer tighten the seats as were before? Is it a safety issue thing to have them that tight?
It couldnt hurt to take it back and have them tighten it back down... If it is a safety issure then they may not loosen them for you.
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

There is a decent thread somewhere about U POL Raptor bedliner. It looks fairly easy and you can rent the air tools at many places.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
There is a decent thread somewhere about U POL Raptor bedliner. It looks fairly easy and you can rent the air tools at many places.
Or just use monstaliner and roll it on... much less overspray and much easier... Also threads on this
Unread 06-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #13
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Good idea to take it to the dealer or any shop and have the bust the nuts (haha) loose on the seats. I don't think it is something you'd have to get retightened with an air wrench though. It is probably just because they are put in with an air wrench at the factory. I've taken the seats out of a lot of the vehicles I've own and none have ever been that tight. Put a little blue locktite on the bolts and tighten them normally.

I'm planning on going with the Monstaliner kit as well. I'll wait until Fall for a nice weekend with a high of 75 or 80 degrees.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
CarolinaPoetic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i did it on my own took a good breaker bar on the front seats though, i herculined it when i pulled the carpet there was spots not painted so the bedliner will help stop rust from starting in there and i can still put my carpet in and cover it all up
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
wdryan85
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looking to liner mine sometime soon. Seems like the carpet will come out pretty easily. I'll have to look into the different products posted. Was there any issues with keeping the heat in during the winter? Thx
wdryan85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.