Bedlining on a Budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bedlining on a Budget

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bedlining on a Budget

I got tired of constantly worrying if it was going to rain while I had the top down, doors off, just the safari top on, or any combination of those three so I decided to take my carpet out and bedline the tub.

I was aware of all the bedlining kits available for this project but I wasn't sure if I was going to have the patience to use one considering the heat we've been having so I decided to use the Rustoleum brand spray on truck bed coating. This is the same stuff that I used to do my door hinges and not only has it held up great, but its also really great if you need to do any touchups.

Anyway I completed the entire project between Monday and Friday last week spending about 2 1/2 hours every evening that week after work.

Some pics:

I discovered a couple pounds of sand under the carpet after it was removed so for the first time I had the pleasure of cleaning the interior with a garden hose:

The same night I removed the carpet I also took out the back seat. The following night I completed the passenger's section:

The next night I did half the back behind the passenger seat; then on Thursday the other side:

Friday night I finished up with the driver's side and put everything back together:

And here is how it looks finished:

Unread 07-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do the tailgate! Do the tailgate!

It looks sweet!
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks great. I was planning on pulling all the roll bar padding off and doing those when I do my tub. I was also thinking of taping off along the rails where the hardtop hardware goes and and doing the top part. I've got a ton off scratches along that section.

Why do you have a c-clamp on your door frame?
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Do the tailgate! Do the tailgate!
Funny you mention; after I was finished I immediately thought 'man, the tailgate just looks out of place now'; which doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the carpet was black as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Looks great. I was planning on pulling all the roll bar padding off and doing those when I do my tub. I was also thinking of taping off along the rails where the hardtop hardware goes and and doing the top part. I've got a ton off scratches along that section.

Why do you have a c-clamp on your door frame?
The roll bar isn't a bad idea; I only went up to where the padding comes down on the roll bar. I do plan on doing the top part of the tub too; I have a crapload of scratches there as well.

The c-clamps on the rear door surrounds are to keep the door surrounds flush against the tub rail. Without them the safari top pull them up about 1/2" while driving. Just a little pet peve of mine lol.
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Was it hard to get the front seats out, what tools did you have to use? Im doing this tommorow. How much was the spray? How many cans did you use?
Rescue13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue13 View Post
Was it hard to get the front seats out, what tools did you have to use? Im doing this tommorow. How much was the spray? How many cans did you use?
Wasn't too bad to remove all the seats; 4 bolts per front seat (plus a torx head for the seatbelts), 7 total for back seats. Breaker bar was a necessity followed by a normal ratchet.

The rattle cans were about $9 a piece from Autozone (cheaper @ WalMart) and I used about 6 cans. If you have any other Q's lemme know and I'd be happy to give you any advice I might have. Good luck, it's totally worth it!
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Farmdiesel
2007 JK Wrangler 

How many cans did you go through for the job? one coat or two? I really want to do this on my 2dr for the same reason, I like the idea of spraying vs the kits. Looks great man!
Farmdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmdiesel View Post
How many cans did you go through for the job? one coat or two? I really want to do this on my 2dr for the same reason, I like the idea of spraying vs the kits. Looks great man!
Rustoleum recommends two coats, but I'm anal and did three.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Wasn't too bad to remove all the seats; 4 bolts per front seat (plus a torx head for the seatbelts), 7 total for back seats. Breaker bar was a necessity followed by a normal ratchet.

The rattle cans were about $9 a piece from Autozone (cheaper @ WalMart) and I used about 6 cans. If you have any other Q's lemme know and I'd be happy to give you any advice I might have. Good luck, it's totally worth it!
Thanks alot. I love the interior colors too. Looks sharp.

Whats a breaker bar? And did you have to use and sort of Wd-40 to make the bolts come off better? I have an 07 so it might be harder. (I didnt notice what year you have)
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue13 View Post
Thanks alot. I love the interior colors too. Looks sharp.

Whats a breaker bar? And did you have to use and sort of Wd-40 to make the bolts come off better? I have an 07 so it might be harder. (I didnt notice what year you have)
NP a breaker bar is basically just a long ratchet wrench that gives you a lot of leverage to "break" really tightened hardware loose. I didn't need any WD 40 or liquid wrench; the breaker bar was enough. You may want a 3-4" extension though; it came in handy.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

you can also use a pipe around your socket wrench for a Ghetto breaker bar.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
you can also use a pipe around your socket wrench for a Ghetto breaker bar.
Odds of me using that is quite large haha. Im too cheap to buy anything like that.
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good, I used the same stuff on mine.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Very professional looking job ....... Well done dude . How long did you let it sit between coats ? Again awesome job .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
stanware
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks good, I'm thinking of doing my jeep like this too.

Last edited by stanware; 07-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: edited out question.. was already answered, didn't read carefully enough
stanware is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bedliner , Bedliner install , diy , JK Wrangler , suggestions , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.