Beating a Dead Horse (Water Issue) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Beating a Dead Horse (Water Issue)

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
DTarlo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Beating a Dead Horse (Water Issue)

Ok for all you who feel this is beating a dead horse; I used the search tool because I too thought i saw something about it to no avail.

Alright, '07 JK Sahara 4 Door, Freedom top. Had a slight leak on the right rear seat carped and a BIG leak on the front passenger side. I read the service bulletin, and every other water leak thread, reinstalled the freedom top CAREFULLY and the little leak in the back went completly away. The front leak stayed and isn't getting any better. I put napkins all up and down the a pillar at the door seam and down low on top of the passenger kick panel shoved in cracks and nooks and crannies (looks like i stuffed snotrags all over the place) to try to see if water was coming down or in anywhere there.

Had a big rainstorm last night ALL of the napkins are dry but the floor is soaked.

I have a appointment with the dealer tommorow BUT I like to be prepared and would like any advice or anyone with a similar problem.

Again I DON'T think it's the freedom top as i have never even noticed water on the dash or down the A pillar. But who knows.

Thankx

DTarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
DTarlo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

no takers?
Unread 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just a couple of ideas:

1. See if the dealer can add more of the semi-soft, black, rubber tape to tape the edges of the two small panels. If you look at some of the hardtops on dealership floors you will see a few inches (2-4 inches) of this material on some of the panels. This should be cheap and an inexpensive option the service department should consider trying for you.

If you think of the 'edges' of the Freedom Top panels, they are hard material (albeit lightweight) that fit to other hard surfaces. On many convertibles, there is a SOFT rubber groove at the top of windshields that seals with a HARD surface to create a seal. Think of ANY waterproof container like a Pelican case. The open area creates a seal with meeting a hard material to a soft material. Waterproof camera cases have a rubber gasket 'O' ring and usually require a coating of silicone to create a waterproof seal under water where water pressure adds more pressure. (Hard surface on case; soft surface rubber 0-ring; liquid waterproof gel). [Water pressure at 33 feet is equivilant to one level of barometric/atmospheric pressure; 66 feet is 2 bars; and so on.]

The silicone is probably not needed but the thin, 1 inch wide, black rubbery tape on the panels will probably improve the seal and solve the problem. Just don't go scuba diving with it! If you do, silicone won't help you. Just kidding but hopefully this makes sense.

If you've ever done any simple plumbing and used teflon tape to water seal threaded pipes. Obviously teflon tape would not work as it would strip with removal of the panels but could be used elsewhere on the Jeep.

The rubber tape would probably need to be replaced every couple of years at very low cost.

2. Ask if the dealer can get you other panels for you hardtop. However I think that 1 above is the real fix. The new panel option may work if there is physical damage to the panels, enough to let water in. Path of least resistance rule of water does not require much damage to leak in.

Good luck! If the tape works, let us know and let's find out if we can buy a roll to keep in our Jeep repair kits.
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
DTarlo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

but I am nearly %100 positive it is NOT the freedom top, any one out there hear of of have any leaking OTHER than the freedom top?
Unread 04-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you have the Dual Top (most people don't), then put the soft top on and see if you're have the leak.

It is either the Freedom Top or the frame, windshield, roll/sound bar and other points of contact that are not creating a good seal.

Why are you so convinced it's not the Freedom Top?
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
DTarlo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

took it to the dealer today and they said they found something so we'll see tommorow. If you read the original post it explains why (not bieng rude) I don't think it is the freedom top. Good Idea with the top exchange, i just am too lazy to clean my garage yet to put the hardtop in and whip out the soft.
Unread 04-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
DTarlo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

dealer kept it for 2 days and determined it was a bad passenger door seal, replaced it so we'll see what happens

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.