Beach driving/airing down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Beach driving/airing down

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Beach driving/airing down

I'm going on the beach this weekend. I have (285/70/17) 33" tires and their nitto trail grapplers. For my daily driving I set them at 34 psi(I have no trouble). Now when I air down for the sand, what would be a proper psi for these tires since their so thick? I was thinking 18psi?

Thanks in advance, my bad about the newb question but rather be safe than sorry.

Wrangler44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

18 psi will be hardly noticeable, you can go down to 10 and have a definite increase in performance and traction.
What width wheels do you have? With narrow wheels, stock or less than 9" I hear of people going to 5 psi with no or few problems. I don't know if I would go that low though people do say it works just fine.

Have fun

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK
18 psi will be hardly noticeable, you can go down to 10 and have a definite increase in performance and traction.
What width wheels do you have? With narrow wheels, stock or less than 9" I hear of people going to 5 psi with no or few problems. I don't know if I would go that low though people do say it works just fine.

Have fun
The width is 11.81
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

What beach are you headed to? I live in NYC now and would be interested in running my JK on the beach!
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep
What beach are you headed to? I live in NYC now and would be interested in running my JK on the beach!
I just bought a permit in Long Island for $65! The beaches that they listed are Robert Moses, gilgo, hither hills, napeague, captree, wildwood, jones beach, sunken meadow, and Montauk point state parks. It is also a fishing permit. I think it ends may 17!!

Ill probably be going to Robert Moses, sunken meadow, Montauk, gilgo. If I get a chance wouldn't mind trying some other beaches I haven't been to yet.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler44 View Post
The width is 11.81
That is the tire width, what I am talking about is the wheel/rim width.
The narrow wheels have a better hold on the bead of the tires and allow for lower pressures.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK

That is the tire width, what I am talking about is the wheel/rim width.
The narrow wheels have a better hold on the bead of the tires and allow for lower pressures.
Okay sorry. The wheels are mb72s and they are 8.5" width.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
Jhkinin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Our Jeeps have been to the dunes many times; we run 10psi up front and 8psi on the rears. Never had any problems; just don't go too fast while cornering.
Jhkinin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

At Silver lake State park in MI they won't let you out on dunes unless you go down to 15# or lower. I run at about 12#

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I just bought a permit in Long Island for $65! The beaches that they listed are Robert Moses, gilgo, hither hills, napeague, captree, wildwood, jones beach, sunken meadow, and Montauk point state parks. It is also a fishing permit. I think it ends may 17!!

Ill probably be going to Robert Moses, sunken meadow, Montauk, gilgo. If I get a chance wouldn't mind trying some other beaches I haven't been to yet.
Thanks, I will have to check it out!
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #11
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

8 works nicely in the sand and I have run as low as 4 with no problems as long as you aren't stupid with it. No sharp turns at speed and no donuts.
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
nexus702
2010 JK Wrangler 

We go to sore thumb fishing all the time. Its the only one open since sandy and a lot of the beach is missing. If its low tide you font need to air down just drive at a slow pace and dont hit the brakes. If youre out there when high tide comes in go down to 5psi since you have to take thetrail through the soft dunes and will dig in if you dont air down.
nexus702 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #13
tankinyj
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Thats the NY State Park Pass that you got. Caution there is a 33" tire size limit on NY State beaches. But you can also drive onto Sore Thumb and Democrats Point (not opened yet). The date to get the pass has already passed, April 25th. They are kind of strict with equipment, minimum of one fishing pole per person in the vehicle

Theres also a Suffolk County pass that is for separate beaches such as Montauk, Orient, Smiths Point, and a couple others. You dont need to be a Suffolk County resident, they have passes for out of county people, I think its just a couple dollars more. You also have to get a Green Key which costs about $10 and is valid for 3 years. This pass you are able to acquire year round, and is usually valid up until the next year summer when the beaches get busy and they start checking. No tire size limit on these beaches, but there are mandatory equipment that they require. I have never been checked by an authority, however I have been questioned (I just nodded my head and listed the required equipment and they had no problem with me). You can also camp overnight on these beaches assuming that you have your fishing poles out and in the water

Smiths Point is my usual getaway, however after Hurricane Sandy I am not sure how much of it is left

And yes, you should always air down. Anyone who gets stuck that hasnt aired down usually gets ignored for their ignorant choice. I just count to 100 on each tire as I am airing down
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankinyj

Thats the NY State Park Pass that you got. Caution there is a 33" tire size limit on NY State beaches. But you can also drive onto Sore Thumb and Democrats Point (not opened yet). The date to get the pass has already passed, April 25th. They are kind of strict with equipment, minimum of one fishing pole per person in the vehicle

Theres also a Suffolk County pass that is for separate beaches such as Montauk, Orient, Smiths Point, and a couple others. You dont need to be a Suffolk County resident, they have passes for out of county people, I think its just a couple dollars more. You also have to get a Green Key which costs about $10 and is valid for 3 years. This pass you are able to acquire year round, and is usually valid up until the next year summer when the beaches get busy and they start checking. No tire size limit on these beaches, but there are mandatory equipment that they require. I have never been checked by an authority, however I have been questioned (I just nodded my head and listed the required equipment and they had no problem with me). You can also camp overnight on these beaches assuming that you have your fishing poles out and in the water

Smiths Point is my usual getaway, however after Hurricane Sandy I am not sure how much of it is left

And yes, you should always air down. Anyone who gets stuck that hasnt aired down usually gets ignored for their ignorant choice. I just count to 100 on each tire as I am airing down
Yea what's reasoning behind the 33" tire limit? I was wondering his to acquire the pass for smiths point but I heard they weren't doing it this year due to the aftermath of "sandy".

Thank you for the heads up. I do plan on doing a lot of fishing. I have an awesome tackle box!! :-)
Now what's the green key for? I'm actually in the middle of figuring out an air compressor to buy. My truck is leased so I can't mount one in the engine :-(. I need to find a good portable one were I'm not sitting their for 40mins airing down and filling up! Do you have a pass for yourself?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.