BDS vs AEV - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > BDS vs AEV

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 12-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
Mud_driven

BDS vs AEV

I'm looking into these two companies as for a lift kit. What are some of the pros and cons? I really like the life time warranty of the BDS (you brake it they fix it!) What I'm looking for is some awesome flexing ability from the lift I'll being doing small trails with a bit of muddin' between. Any suggestion would be great!
Thanks,
Adam

Both 4.5" lift btw

Unread 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

mthomp83 turned me onto the AEV, here is a link he sent me. This thread does a good job of listing some substantial benefits of the new AEV lift

Pay special attention to post #10 from AEV Dave

Front Control Arm Bracket - American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have 3" BDS lift sitting and waiting for tires till it gets put on, I did a lot of research and knowing what I know now.. I would have made my own lift kit.

I have the full packaged BDS lift, no bs warranty which is nice, but i bought JKS parts where the BDS lift fell short like; front adj track bar, front lower adj control arms, and probably sway bar discos because the ones it came with....yeah not so much...

the springs, bump stop exts, brackets and shocks look fine...wont know till i get them on obviously. and it WILL retain the factory rake which I like right now...
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
RogerG
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumOre View Post
I have 3" BDS lift sitting and waiting for tires till it gets put on, I did a lot of research and knowing what I know now.. I would have made my own lift kit.

I have the full packaged BDS lift, no bs warranty which is nice, but i bought JKS parts where the BDS lift fell short like; front adj track bar, front lower adj control arms, and probably sway bar discos because the ones it came with....yeah not so much...

the springs, bump stop exts, brackets and shocks look fine...wont know till i get them on obviously. and it WILL retain the factory rake which I like right now...
Why didnt you like the disco? Just curious coz i have the same disconnect.

06 Jeep Rubicon w/5.5" Teraflex long arm + 1" body lift rolling on 35-12.5-17 BFG KM2 on 7031 ProComp Alloys
RogerG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

I have had 2 or 3 bds kits and loved them all a few friends work for them all great guys and know their stuff great products I liked the disconnects easier then the jks from time to time. BDS is just an all around great product
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

the discons i have don't look like they'll cut the mustard, i look at JKS or other manufacturers products and their appear much beefier... if you have them installed would you be so kind as to take a pic? i mean if they work.. then awesome.
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm running the AEV 3.5" Premium and really like it.

The biggest pro for me was during my research phase, running into all of the positive threads started by owners.

The next biggest pro was how AEV explains the different components of the lift on their website. They go into all of the geometry-correcting pieces, and why they chose to do that. They explained the progressive springs, and how their Bilstein shocks are tuned for them. I knew nothing about lifts at the time, and that information was really helpful. Other lifts may do the same things, but I couldn't easily find the info on their websites, so it didn't leave me with the perception that they put as much thought into the on-street handling portion.

I also like how the owner will pop into the company forums and explain things with some detail, like in post #10 of the link that molshove posted.

The installation instructions were great. They were clear to read, and there were a lot of "whys" and "be sure that..." given for many of the steps. The lift arrived packaged well. Instead of getting one huge bag of nuts and bolts (like I did with the lift I was running before), they were divided up into separate bags that clearly indicated which part of the install they were meant for.

In the end, their on-street performance lived up to my expectations, and that was my biggest worry. With the 2.5" lift that I was running before this, I had to take corners slower than stock, and even then, some felt squirrely. With the AEV lift, I can corner faster than stock. This amazes me, as my JK is about 5 inches taller than stock now.

And I've had no issues with it off-road. I'm still new to wheeling, but I've done some blacks and a few reds at Rausch, and stuff like Daniel at Uwharrie, and it's performed great.

The con for me was the sticker price. I initially would have expected it to come with adjustable arms/trackbars/etc instead of relocation brackets. But in regards how the geometry was corrected, I don't know if they could have done that w/o the brackets. And the brackets are beefy as hell, so I'm not worried about busting one of them easily.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
Kennedy
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumOre View Post
the discons i have don't look like they'll cut the mustard, i look at JKS or other manufacturers products and their appear much beefier... if you have them installed would you be so kind as to take a pic? i mean if they work.. then awesome.
I had them on my wrangler I don't have that truck anymore, ill look and see if I have some pics of them I mean I drove to north carolina for jeep jamboree and wheeled it pretty hard not one issue from them. I mean how big do you really need them? They are there to keep the front end together for the highway not, and the point is to disconnect them for off roading I can't see you articulating them anymore then they need to be on the street.....
Unread 12-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #9
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Might look into the Rock Krawlers 3 link setup (their Factor Plus & Triple Threat models) if you want REALLY good flex. I think they are the only ones offering a bolt on 3 link setup for the front at the moment. I believe they have a lifetime warranty as well, but with solid control arms and sick joints, I dont see how one can break them. One of the problems with the stock design is the control arms will bind up and limit flex, they came up with a 3 link design for this very reason. Might youtube them and check them out, really can flex the hell out of the jeep with this lift.

I wish I would of waited a few years to lift my jeep, just so I could of done everything right the first time....
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
mikeinminn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'll post this link again because of how helpful it is in explaining what AEV does. American Expedition Vehicles - 12 Things to Know about 'Lifted' Suspension Engineering FYI:Their rear trackbar bracket lifts the axle mounting point 6" for a 3.5" lift which brings the roll center much closer to the vehicle's center of gravity. It will lean less, roll steer less, and with the rest of the lift handle bumps better.
mikeinminn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.