JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   BDS 3" lift not giving a true 3"? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bds-3-lift-not-giving-true-3-a-1536994/)

FCAV 06-15-2013 08:06 PM

BDS 3" lift not giving a true 3"?

I'm looking at getting myself into a BDS 3" lift at the recommendation of a local shop. Doing some digging and asking around, it seems like a handful of people have had problems with the lift only giving them 1.5"/2" out of the box.

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this with BDS?

I was also suggested Synergy by the same shop but information doesn't seem as readily available on them. Anyone have any words they'd care to share on that brand as well?

Remmy18 06-16-2013 06:56 AM

If it was me, I'd go Synergy all day and not think twice about it even if its significantly more expensive. They make great products, have a great reputation and make a ton of high quality add on parts (track bar which I currently run, ball joints etc). Good luck!

tyvanwie 06-16-2013 07:50 AM

It seems odd that they would only be getting 1.5" of lift. What's the reasoning behind it? Are their jeeps really heavy? FWIW I have the 2" BDS coils on my TJ and I got 2" front and 2.5" rear. But my jeep is very light.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

FCAV 06-16-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyvanwie (Post 15567429)
It seems odd that they would only be getting 1.5" of lift. What's the reasoning behind it? Are their jeeps really heavy? FWIW I have the 2" BDS coils on my TJ and I got 2" front and 2.5" rear. But my jeep is very light.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

Thanks for the response. Not sure on the reasoning, but they all made mention of being sent replacement springs (the great thing about BDS is their warranty). I believe they have aftermarket bumpers which can factor in, but that is a drastic difference.

Alaska-HWY JK 06-16-2013 11:27 AM

As already suggested Synergy. They make Jeep parts. BDS makes Bro truck parts. I have their tierod and draglink on my JK as well as weld on 3" trackbar bracket and upper TB brace, all quality parts. I'm thinking of switching to their coil springs also.

insaneinline 06-16-2013 12:26 PM

It's funny if your in the yj forum bds is the lift everyone says is the best now that I have jk there one of the worst from what I read . I know totally different suspension setups but you would think that if you can do leaf springs right why can't they do coil springs right just doesn't make sense

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Ironhead 06-16-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insaneinline (Post 15568283)
It's funny if your in the yj forum bds is the lift everyone says is the best now that I have jk there one of the worst from what I read . I know totally different suspension setups but you would think that if you can do leaf springs right why can't they do coil springs right just doesn't make sense

and the springs work very well on the TJ's.

i've never heard a bad thing about them and love mine

FCAV 06-16-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remmy18 (Post 15567295)
If it was me, I'd go Synergy all day and not think twice about it even if its significantly more expensive. They make great products, have a great reputation and make a ton of high quality add on parts (track bar which I currently run, ball joints etc). Good luck!

Any idea on how Synergy compares with a Teraflex?

Marinerider 06-16-2013 02:36 PM

FWIW, I put the 3 in BDS suspension lift on my TJ and got three inches out of both the front and rear.

insaneinline 06-16-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhead

and the springs work very well on the TJ's.

i've never heard a bad thing about them and love mine

I thought they were a good company to , the dealer I go to only uses bds lifts and that's what I was planning on because of the warranty issue if they don't install it

JTPhoto 06-16-2013 06:58 PM

It seems there are certain lift kit companies that specialize in a certain vehicle. BDS is very highly regarded in the pickup world however, not so much in the Jeep JK world where TeraFlex, synergy, AEV, and a few others specialize.
Any kit that offers a drop pitman for a Jk is suspect of not being the right kit for a JK as they are unaware of the issues a drop pitman causes. There a certain parts a JK requires for a proper trouble free lift that only these companies that specialize in Jeep generally include.
There lots of good kits out there but not a lot of them specialize in Jeep.

Tanimal 06-16-2013 08:04 PM

My buddy picked up a 3 inch lift for his JKU and he only netted 2-2.5 inches. I always read spotty things about BDS and wasn't very satisfied with his overall experienced and what he actually gained with his "3 inch lift". I am more than happy with my Rock Krawler lift and wouldn't go to any other brand, they're top notch in my book.

Remmy18 06-17-2013 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCAV

Any idea on how Synergy compares with a Teraflex?

Teraflex is a great company as well. Many people run their products on here. I run their 1.5" leveling kit and am very happy with the setup. If I was in the market for a kit, I'd look at Synergy, Teraflex, Currie and Rock Krawler. Just my $.02.

GauchoMark 06-17-2013 08:00 AM

lift height is pretty variable from jeep to jeep based on the stock springs it had, the factory options (2dr/4dr, hardtop, etc), and whatever accessories were on it.

For example, I called teraflex about their coil leveling kit and by the end of the convo, they were telling me I would only get about 1/2" of lift in the rear because their published number is based on a stock 2 dr Sport vs. my 4dr rubicon with armor. Apparently they are very light spring rate coils.

It is more important to get your spring rate correct for your load than to worry about trying to exactly hit a height. You can always use trim spacers to adjust it a little once you get the coils in.

The time now is 10:30 PM.