BAS/ESP light came on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > BAS/ESP light came on

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
cpd806

BAS/ESP light came on

I don't know if it was a coinidence or not but the day I changed my rear diif oil to synthetic gear oil, later that day the BAS/ESP light came on when I was pulling my boat home from the lake. Later that evening when I drove her the light was not on. I did add 3.4 oz of friction modifier due to the LSD. Any thoughts?

cpd806 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #2
EagerJeeper

Mine has been coming on the last few days and I haven't done any mods. Go figure.
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
MichaelW

If it's just the light coming on, I wouldn't be too concerned. I would probably schedule an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out. If the skidding car light comes on not a biggie, if the skidding car, ESP/BAS light comes on and stays on and nothing else happens, that means the system is in fault.

Now if the ESP and skidding car comes on and you can actually feel the Jeep braking then the ESP system is engaged and if this it under "normal" driving then you have a problem and you should take it to the dealer.

If the ESP and skidding car comes on and the engine is sputtering or completely shutting off under normal driving conditions then you really should get it to the dealer.

This is assuming you have had an alignment done (even if you have not had a lift) or adjusted your toe yourself and checked the tightness of the linkages and your steering wheel is straight while driving straight.

Some things that could place the ESP/BAS system in fault are:
Broken/faulty clock spring on the steering wheel.
Broken/faulty wheel speed sensors.
Broken/faulty vehicle speed sensor on transmission.
Broken/faulty G-force indicator in center console.
Loose steering components.
Loose control arms.
Bad shocks.
Improper/mismatched air pressure in tires.
Heavily overloaded with weight shift.
Driving with a strong crosswind forcing you to turn the wheel constantly to keep going straight.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
mtnmedic

mine has been doing this as well....there is a TSB dated 5/18/07 regarding this. It is possible that the clock spring is bad, but more than likely the computer need to be flashed with the updated TSB. Look up the TSB (i dont want to link it here) go to your dealer and tell them you want this done. If they say no...go up the chain.
Unread 04-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yup, I know the thread is old but I felt this info should be captured. I just had this light come on after driving for 7 hours in a cross wind. That was the last reason MichaelW listed. So, if this happens to you it very well could be the cause. According to weather.com the wind was a 30MPH sustianed.

EDIT: I have started my car twice for trips around town and the lights have gone out.

Last edited by Charles; 04-24-2010 at 04:30 PM..
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
ecjonesorg
2009 JK Wrangler 

There is a new sensor called the "Dynamic Sensor" mounted under the center console of the newer Jeeps starting around 2007. This sensor is essentially a pendulum that tells the ESP (Elsctronic Stability Program) the tilt and G-forces the Jeep is experiencing at any instant. It is designed to detect pending roll overs and applies individual brakes in order to prevent imminent rollovers. Although the goal of these sensors is to protect the drivers and property, there is a high failure rate of these sensors and Atlanta, GA part distribution center has a 3 week backorder on these parts. If your ESP/BAS indicator is lit and you have this dynamic sensor, take your Jeep to the dealer immediately! When mine failed in May 2010, I was forced off the interstate when my right front brake locked automatically while the tracking light was flashing. The interstate was dry and straight. I did manage to stop before crashing into a fence. The ESP/BAS then lit and according to the manual the system was supposed to be disabled until the dealer performed repairs. Unfortunately, the ESP cleared out the error code a short time later when I happed to have my camera in the passenger seat. The following mpg videos tell the story about the ESP Dynamic Sensor failure when I was travelling 25mph down a straight, dry road. I do want to emphasize that this is no longer a Jeep issue because there is reportedly a law to require ALL vehicles have these sensors by 2012!

Front Passenger Brake being automatically applied (5MB):
http://www.ecjones.org/mov53105.mpg

ESP system recognizes the sensor failure disabling the ssystem (3MB)
http://www.ecjones.org/mov53107.mpg

Dr Ed
ecjonesorg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think the dealers did something to my Jeep. I returned a 2010 a few days after I bought it, and took my 2007 back. In the meantime, they had done who knows what to prepare a used car on their lot. I know they changed the oil and lubed up some steering stoppers under the vehicle. I now am suspicious that they updated the ECU or something.. 2007 Jeep bone stock, both engine and suspension. My traction light thing has been coming on way more than it used to on turns. Even slow speed turns. Steering wheel is perfectly centered. I might have to go to the dealer.. It never did this once ever, before i first traded it in to the dealership.
Unread 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

It's got to be a sensor somewhere. Does it do it more when you turn one way than the other?
Unread 06-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
plac
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
It's got to be a sensor somewhere. Does it do it more when you turn one way than the other?
only had it happen 2 times so far. but only had the jeep 1.5 days.

first one on a big long right turning freeway ramp. it activated and almost brought me to a stop.

second one, slower left ramp, shorter, had it a bit less but def shook the jeep.

never get a "ESP" light as far as i know. Only that skid icon thingy.

Funny thing is, I bought a 2 year warranty on this Jeep 1.5 days ago. Which lowered my monthly payment $4 a month. So I'm pretty set, especially since the Jeep is currently 100% stock.
Unread 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
miramontes

I just installed a Rancho 4" lift on my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X. I had left the stearing slightly off. Thinking I would have the mechanic correct it when I get the alignment. The ESP BAS light came on during my test drive. I corrected the stearing wheel and all is good. Thanks for the help.
miramontes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
ecjonesorg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I recently learned that both Honda and Harley-Davidson motorcycles are also fitted with Bank Angle Sensors (BAS) designed to cut off the fuel pump if the bike is laid over. This is a safety feature to help prevent a fire. Unfortunately, these sensors have a high failure rate and several recalls have been issued in the past. Some of the recalls are centered on the damping fluid reacting with the casing and leaking out. When this happens, the sensor is no longer damped causing the motor to stall during turns, especially left turns.

Some examples of websites discussing these problems can be found below:

Bank angle sensor - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Is there a way to bypass the bank angle sensor? : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net
Disabling the Bank Angle Sensor : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums

In Jeep, Dodge, and Subaru vehicles, the Banking Angle Sensor is also called the Dynamic Sensor and it is located near the center of the vehicle usually between the front seats below the center console. I suspect these Dynamic sensors are failing for the same reason the motorcycle bank angle sensors are failing-leaking damping fluid. Unfortunately, I do not know how to bypass these sensors in vehicles. Under the right conditions, a BAS failure could easily result in a fatal accident.

Ed
Unread 06-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not being rude...but this really isn't news. Everycar with a traction control system has a sensor that determines what direction you are going and what direction the steering wheel is pointed.
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
ecjonesorg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hello Jeep lovers,

I just received this recall notice today for my 2008 Jeep that was totalled when a lady struck me from behind at 60 mph while I was stopped in backup traffic. Without my heavy Jeep frame I would have been seriously injured. The Jeep frame was damaged so I replaced it with the 2009 4 door softtop model for which I developed the ESP problems.

http://www.ecjones.org/Jeep_2008_Mod...0_6Jul2010.pdf

Notice how the recall sneaks the ESP disabling feature into a transmission temperature overheat recall, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before all Jeep models will have ESP disable overrides.

Dr Ed
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjonesorg View Post
Notice how the recall sneaks the ESP disabling feature into a transmission temperature overheat recall, I suspect it will only be a matter of time before all Jeep models will have ESP disable overrides.
Having the J30 recall flash done or not having it done doesn't effect the ability to disable ESP.

The ability was already there, no sneaking required. The notice included the instruction as an addendum supplemental to the manual.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
ecjonesorg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Disabling ESP Impossible in 2009 Wrangler

The J30 recall information on disabling the ESP DOES NOT work on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler. I just confirmed this again 5 minutes ago. The ESP OFF button is intended to disable the wheel speed sensors ONLY in the event one is driving in snow and expects a high chance of a skid. The ESP OFF button does not disable the dynamic sensor portion of the Electronic Stability System intended to detect a rollover and a failure of this dynamic sensor nearly killed me back in May 2010. The ESP OFF only partially disables the system.

If you did receive a J30 module reprogram recall you can totally bypass the ESP by following the steps shown in the recall (link below). My J30 recall was sent to me by Chrysler because they were unaware that my 2008 Jeep Wrangler was totalled by someone who hit me from behind at 60 mph! Unfortunately, the recall does not allow me to disable this in my newer 2009 Jeep.

I want to add that Toyota, Subaru, and Corvette models have recent recalls in regards to serious ESP problems.

Dr Ed

http://www.ecjones.org/Jeep_2008_Mod...0_6Jul2010.pdf

P.S. The rear end collision to my 2008 Jeep was observed by a policeman who put this into the accident report.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.