Balljoints for a dana 30 and rack for over the spare - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By reichard117
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-13-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
Balljoints for a dana 30 and rack for over the spare

Well I need some help, I'm usually pretty good at the search function thing and making my own informed decisions but I'm stumped on these, my jeep (13 jku with 4:88s and elockers front and rear with 35's for the time being) is in need or about to need ball joints.. I've looked at all the reviews and every time I think I've narrowed it down to alloys or Teraflex or synergy I find some guy that says he bought brand x and they failed in the first month! Well I've had this rig since it was new and the the lift and tires I installed 2 weeks after I bought it and I wheel the jeep and I drive it daily, it's been to Florida from Illinois several times and is about to be my wife 100% daily driver as soon as I get rid of her blasted Honda! The jeep has 33k on the clock and the ball joints aren't terrible yet but you can tell they are worn so should I just replace them with oem's and call it good or what brands do you recommend??? Also has anyone had any luck putting a rack over the spare tire while running a ACE rear bumper with tire carrier?? I've notice several units that look to be universal and just bolt to the tailgate which the ace tire swing also bolts to but looks like it could work.. If anyone has done this please let me know or share a pic. Thanks in advance for the help!


2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 PM
reichard117
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Western
Posts: 856
I'm in the same boat with ball joints. 34k miles and has been DD, wheeler, and vacation vehicle for all 34k. People say how junky the little ball joints are in the 30 and 44 but I feel the factory has lasted me quite well. I also spend a lot of time on very rough back roads at a decent speed. I feel like I will use factory if I build a J8 44 housings.
buns79 likes this.

'14 JK - Current
'00 TJ - Sold
'00 XJ - Sold
Follow me on Instagram - @thereich
reichard117 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
Right after I wrote this I went to the mail box and got the new quadratec summer catalog and on the second page they had a new set of skyjacker balljoints for almost $700 I think it was! Supposedly they make the upper ball joint weight searing which cuts down on wear and tear and make them all last longer! Have you any idea how many sets of oem ball joints I can buy for that kind of money! Lol

2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 AM
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 5,935
oem you never lube. the other if not wont last. i have synergy in ours. stock were totally shot at 20k, from new. could have been replaced at 15k. the jeep sees a ton of trails, its all its for a club jeep. stock has a plastic cup liner. the other that you grease would be metal in side. think when i did mine they were 200$ you need the right tool and not a cheap one. to press those out and back in. the tool would be about the same if not more $. if anyone has issues it is generally they beat them in or forgot to grease them. they do not come pre greased at least the Synergy ones. about 35k on it now. trails get harder but its trailerd as well. so most the miles are all off road. been rather happy with Synergy parts over all. from the drag flip to the tie rods braces. i do like the way all the tres are the same part a 1 ton left tread on all 4 ends.. so 1 tie rod end you have a extra for all.. nice easy. not that i have broke one but you never know. i know other that have.

the harder the use the faster wear parts like this are. add to that unit bearings... before i spend 700 on Bjs< will go d60 .

http://www.parker4wheelers.net
www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com
222Doc is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 07:06 AM
duneslider
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverton
Posts: 1,864
I haven't found any reviews saying the new teraflex ball joints went bad. Teraflex had a different ball joint out for a while that wasn't the same as the current offering. Their new adjustable ball joint looks really good, has a lifetime warranty too I believe.

07 JKU Wrangler
10 XK Commander Limited
duneslider is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
oem you never lube. the other if not wont last. i have synergy in ours. stock were totally shot at 20k, from new. could have been replaced at 15k. the jeep sees a ton of trails, its all its for a club jeep. stock has a plastic cup liner. the other that you grease would be metal in side. think when i did mine they were 200$ you need the right tool and not a cheap one. to press those out and back in. the tool would be about the same if not more $. if anyone has issues it is generally they beat them in or forgot to grease them. they do not come pre greased at least the Synergy ones. about 35k on it now. trails get harder but its trailerd as well. so most the miles are all off road. been rather happy with Synergy parts over all. from the drag flip to the tie rods braces. i do like the way all the tres are the same part a 1 ton left tread on all 4 ends.. so 1 tie rod end you have a extra for all.. nice easy. not that i have broke one but you never know. i know other that have. the harder the use the faster wear parts like this are. add to that unit bearings... before i spend 700 on Bjs< will go d60 .
We installed a set of the alloys on my buddy's TJ (press out pressed in no hammers were used lol) and we greased them after install even though the lower joints are a pain to grease due to the axle shaft being so close to the zert and one of his uppers failed or wore out with in 3 months and alloy did cover it but we still had to do the work of coarse! But it could have been just a bad one! And I'm with you, there is no way I'm paying that much for ball joints!

2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider
I haven't found any reviews saying the new teraflex ball joints went bad. Teraflex had a different ball joint out for a while that wasn't the same as the current offering. Their new adjustable ball joint looks really good, has a lifetime warranty too I believe.
I'll check them out, I saw them down in jeepbeach but wasn't sure about the adjustable aspect of them..

2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 10:05 AM
propped1
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union
Posts: 1,165
Garage
Holy paragraph separation, Batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buns79 View Post
Well I need some help, I'm usually pretty good at the search function thing and making my own informed decisions but I'm stumped on these, my jeep (13 jku with 4:88s and elockers front and rear with 35's for the time being) is in need or about to need ball joints..

I've looked at all the reviews and every time I think I've narrowed it down to alloys or Teraflex or synergy I find some guy that says he bought brand x and they failed in the first month!

Well I've had this rig since it was new and the the lift and tires I installed 2 weeks after I bought it and I wheel the jeep and I drive it daily, it's been to Florida from Illinois several times and is about to be my wife 100% daily driver as soon as I get rid of her blasted Honda!

The jeep has 33k on the clock and the ball joints aren't terrible yet but you can tell they are worn so should I just replace them with oem's and call it good or what brands do you recommend???

Also has anyone had any luck putting a rack over the spare tire while running a ACE rear bumper with tire carrier?? I've notice several units that look to be universal and just bolt to the tailgate which the ace tire swing also bolts to but looks like it could work.. If anyone has done this please let me know or share a pic. Thanks in advance for the help!
Fixed it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
I haven't found any reviews saying the new teraflex ball joints went bad. Teraflex had a different ball joint out for a while that wasn't the same as the current offering. Their new adjustable ball joint looks really good, has a lifetime warranty too I believe.
The originals had a tall housing that if you upgraded the front shaft U joints, they would rub and were really hard to access the zerk. I dont know if they changed or not.

You want grease-able, not sealed like factory. They have been using these same sytle ball joints in solid axle vehicles from Jeep for 20+ years. They have sucked for 20+ years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by buns79 View Post
We installed a set of the alloys on my buddy's TJ (press out pressed in no hammers were used lol) and we greased them after install even though the lower joints are a pain to grease due to the axle shaft being so close to the zerk
Evidence - fixed the spelling... dont know what a zert is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buns79 View Post
and one of his uppers failed or wore out with in 3 months and alloy did cover it but we still had to do the work of coarse! But it could have been just a bad one! And I'm with you, there is no way I'm paying that much for ball joints!
I have the Synergies as well. Grease-able, easy access to zerks, and for what you get, worth the money. If they fail you are getting new ones where the Dynatracs for example are rebuildable... but I can get 3 sets of synergies before paying for the Dynas and the rebuild kit....

Dont do stock. Ball joints are a pain in the *** to change. Change them once not repeatedly.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1
Holy paragraph separation, Batman! Fixed it... The originals had a tall housing that if you upgraded the front shaft U joints, they would rub and were really hard to access the zerk. I dont know if they changed or not. You want grease-able, not sealed like factory. They have been using these same sytle ball joints in solid axle vehicles from Jeep for 20+ years. They have sucked for 20+ years. Evidence - fixed the spelling... dont know what a zert is. I have the Synergies as well. Grease-able, easy access to zerks, and for what you get, worth the money. If they fail you are getting new ones where the Dynatracs for example are rebuildable... but I can get 3 sets of synergies before paying for the Dynas and the rebuild kit.... Dont do stock. Ball joints are a pain in the *** to change. Change them once not repeatedly.
You sir have far more time than I have to care about and fix grammar on a forum. Im pretty sure everyone who read it knew what I meant and zert would be my phone changing the work zerk around or changing it to the word zero like it did several times.

2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
From what I've been told the synergies and alloys are the same unit just different name... And what's so hard about changing a ball joint? I've managed to get 33-34k out of the stock units and I wheel the jeep and drive it on a daily basis I was just hoping for some feed back from some people that have had all the different brands so I can make my decision based on that!

2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 01:29 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 11,200
On the TJ/XJ/YJ/ZJ the balljoints are metal internally, JK got crap plastic innards. Stock spicer for the ZJ lasted almost 80k according to my book, and thats not being kind to them.

20-30k is crap.

1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 33's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ 5.9 - Junked
1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
buns79
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chatham IL
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
On the TJ/XJ/YJ/ZJ the balljoints are metal internally, JK got crap plastic innards. Stock spicer for the ZJ lasted almost 80k according to my book, and thats not being kind to them. 20-30k is crap.
Ya know what you are right because I put 70 and 80k on both of my TJ's and I wheeled them also and never replaced the ball joints that I can remember, but I also only ran 33's on them too but still they did last longer!

2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 01:46 PM
propped1
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union
Posts: 1,165
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buns79 View Post
From what I've been told the synergies and alloys are the same unit just different name... And what's so hard about changing a ball joint? I've managed to get 33-34k out of the stock units and I wheel the jeep and drive it on a daily basis I was just hoping for some feed back from some people that have had all the different brands so I can make my decision based on that!
What youve been told means you should do more research. Alloy is an Omix-ada company. Synergy is not. Alloy did get accused of copying... That doesnt mean they are the same.

Have you tried changing a ball joint on a 90's to present Chrysler vehicle with a solid front axle? Throughout my life, my family has had 6 different grand cherokees, a cherokee, a dodge durango, and now my JK. Chrysler used the same balls for all of their applications... they are all a pain in the ***. Since the knuckle on the 16 JK is the same as the knuckle on the 07, the balls are likely still the same crappy ones they have been using for years.

Go ahead and get dirty though... builds character. I just wouldnt replace the crap with crap. That's my opinion for my Jeep, though. Hasnt steered me wrong. See what I did there? Puns. That is what you were asking for. Feedback. Since you seem to know... why ask?

I've had the Synergies for 4 years. Moderate to heavy wheeling. Heavy tires and wheel. No issues at all. That all you need?

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 06-14-2016, 01:57 PM
propped1
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union
Posts: 1,165
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buns79 View Post
You sir have far more time than I have to care about and fix grammar on a forum. Im pretty sure everyone who read it knew what I meant and zert would be my phone changing the work zerk around or changing it to the word zero like it did several times.
I changed no grammar... only put spaces between your cluster of 20 ideas so I could read it and respond. Spelling the one word I guess. Zert isnt a word so it wouldnt auto correct. The t key is half way across the keyboard from the k. I thought about that too...

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome