Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends - gone at 25K?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends - gone at 25K??

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 09-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Jeep2323

Ball Joints and Tie Rod Ends - gone at 25K??

Hi Friends - Anyone want to venture a guess how ball joints and tie rod ends got loose on my '08 Wrangler (no accidents and barely driven - only 23K). I'm told they are loose and repair recommended immediately to avoid rollover risk. They say no repair is possible - must be full replacement - almost $2,000!! Seems odd. No symptoms... I went in for an oil change. thanks, guys.

Jeep2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Best as I can tell, your quote should be around this:
Ball joints, Mopar (crappy): $200 for set
Stock Tie-rod ends, Mopar (crappy): $150
Labor: 6 hours??? $480?
Total: $830??? + Tax???

My solution:
Ball joints, aftermarket, heavy duty Synergy/Polyperformance: $250 for a full set of uppers/lowers.
Tie-rod, complete, Synergy Suspension aftermarket: $350
Ball-joint press, high quality: $200 (if you don't already have one!)
Do-it yourself total, with heavy-duty parts: $900 + no future worries!!!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, get the hell away from that shop and get a second opinion.

Not saying that they're not bad, if you beat them, they can fail in 100 miles.
I know the streets where I live will beat a suspension to a pulp if you let it so it's possible.

Like the above post....can't see it running over 1k even with high quality parts. If you're going to stay with that shop, I would ask for a full breakdown of all parts and labor. My guess is that they'll start in with the "well, we're not sure what else we're going to find" blah, blah.... That's when you run.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Only 23k !!! Take the Jeep to another shop for a second opinion. And don't tell them it's been checked by the first shop. See if they come up with the same list. I can't see that much wear in so few miles.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
SoK66
1976 CJ5 

Not unusual for stock JK ball joints to fail at low mileage, they are crap. I'm not buying the tie rod ends, however, even Rock Krawler recommends them over aftermarket. Get another shop to take a look at your rig. Sounds like the one you're dealing with like to make a lot of money.

BTW, don't use stock ball joints as replacements. Get the Poly Performance units, much better and about the same price you were quoted.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

get another shop to look at it. Back in Feb, took my 87 Toy xtra-cab to a 4wheelparts shop in town (national chain) for u-joints, told me I need ball joints, tie rods, rear springs, and something else. Only think wrong was the left axle nut has loosen up and need to be tighten. Saved myself $2500.00 for the repair work they want done. If you don't really know the shop, get someone else to look at it.
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #7
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

This sounds like an excellent opportunity to get to know your rig a bit better. It may seem a bit intimidating changing out your ball joints, but it's actually a fairly simple process:
1. Loosen axle nut and Remove front wheels
2. Remove brake calipers (2 bolts)
3. Remove wheel speed sensor (1 bolt)
4. Remove axle nut
5. Remove unit bearing (3 bolts)
6. Slide axle shaft out of axle
7. Use ball joint press to remove and reinstall ball joints.
8. Reassemble in reverse order.

Only a couple "specialty" tools required that you wouldn't have in your standard ratchet set...a 35 mm socket for the axle nut, and a 1 1/8" socket for the lower ball joint retaining nut. Also, Advanced Auto or Auto Zone have a tool loaner program. I used them to get a ball joint press, they charge you for the cost of the tool (it was about $175 when I did it) and give it to you for 30 days. When you return it they refund all of your money.

Use google and YouTube, do a bit of reading and watch a few videos on ball joint removal, how to use the tool, ect...it really is a pretty easy job.

As the others have said, the Synergy ball joints are nice. $250 for an entire set is also nice. Cheaper than the Mopar ones and much better too. Good luck!

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis View Post

My solution:
Ball joints, aftermarket, heavy duty Synergy/Polyperformance: $250 for a full set of uppers/lowers.
And to make it less painless you may be able to "borrow" a ball joint press from Advanced Auto. They charge you for the tool and then refund your money when you return it.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ True! Each to their own, I'd personally rather own one. But rentals actually make more sense in some cases. Drop the price of the job down to $700 for an aftermarket job in this case! lol
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
BCHemTJJK
1999 TJ Wrangler 

at 23k, it is not covered by warranty?
BCHemTJJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

08 is out of warranty unless you're the original owner anyways.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis

My solution:
Hey. I googles tht poly performance joint and on there website it says $250. And quantity 1. Is that a full set or just one u joint? It didn't specify on website
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
merlin4979
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
Hey. I googles tht poly performance joint and on there website it says $250. And quantity 1. Is that a full set or just one u joint? It didn't specify on website
That is 1 full set of 4 ball joints. 2 uppers and 2 lowers.

(I know because I JUST installed a set last weekend. Much improved ride!)
merlin4979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
sherman07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Advanced auto and o'reilly's auto carry Moog ball joints about $140 per side with lifetime warranty. You will never have to buy ball joints again just replace them when needed for free!
sherman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Double Dog
Back from da stinkin' box

2007 JK Wrangler 

Don't feel bad. My 2007 has 70K miles of nothing but regular driving and the ball joints and drag link have slack in them. The cheap factory parts are very disappointing. At interstate speeds it gets the "Oh Crap" shimmy. I'm doing it myself with good aftermarket parts. May as well do the brakes while I'm in there.
Double Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joints , replacement

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.