Ball Joints! - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joints!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #106
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Ok I know this is getting old but itís still not right. I got the new tires on and it definitely made things better but I can tell it just isnít totally right.

Got a friend to help me by turning the wheels back and forth while I checked out all the TREs and found that the drag link ends are bad on each side. Everything else seems to be ok.

Even though I have to buy a new one Iím glad at the same time because I found the problem (I hope) finally. Obviously not one of those 5 places that checked out my front end did it right, what a farce. I learned the hard way that if possible then do a thorough check yourself, oh well.
That's a drag that your drag link is bad (ha ha).

FYI: My stock drag link lasted 30K miles & the flipped drag link lasted over 50K miles.

I hope you have it nailed down finally.

Unread 05-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #107
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Drag joke funny stuff, glad you didn’t take it a step further.

I have the flipped one that was added at around 300 miles of the Jeep being new; part of the AEV kit. I have just over 19k on the Jeep now but all this wobble stuff started a few thousand ago to where it was noticeable.

Yup I sure hope this fixes it and all is well again. Weird thing about all of this is that I had the exact same lift, tires and wheels on my ’08 that had no issues at all with the suspension/frontend (not including steering knock) up to 50k until it went to Jeep heaven.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #108
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

the aev is just a stock jeep part from a right hand drive. just another AEV part that gets replaced with a better part. Good thing I like the springs. Our Jeep is going throuh a slight rebuild of the AEV wont be alot left of that in the end or moded.

Mine is getting replaced next month drag link. as is the tie rod bar(bent to he!!) and trackion bar. to fit a sector/tackbar brace kit. more $$$ but getting ready for our long trip to and back from the DusyErshim in Aug. Going with Synergy.

You wheeling it harder than the last Jeep? I have about 19k on our 12 now. It see;s alot of trail time. Just want heaver parts, hate to have a break sown in the middle of no where. just keep a few extra tie rod ends for incase.
Unread 05-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #109
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
the aev is just a stock jeep part from a right hand drive. just another AEV part that gets replaced with a better part. Good thing I like the springs. Our Jeep is going throuh a slight rebuild of the AEV wont be alot left of that in the end or moded.

Mine is getting replaced next month drag link. as is the tie rod bar(bent to he!!) and trackion bar. to fit a sector/tackbar brace kit. more $$$ but getting ready for our long trip to and back from the DusyErshim in Aug. Going with Synergy.

You wheeling it harder than the last Jeep? I have about 19k on our 12 now. It see;s alot of trail time. Just want heaver parts, hate to have a break sown in the middle of no where. just keep a few extra tie rod ends for incase.
Yes the AEV springs and shocks are great but I've also overhauled my 2012 front end. Sleeved, trussed, gusseted, synergy ball joints, track bar, track bar/sector shaft brace, tie rod, flipped drag link, bolt kit etc. Also welded the AEV bracketry to the front axle. I still feel the rear end wallow around with their flimsy rear track but but I don't believe the synergy track bar will clear the exhaust with the AEV rear track bar bracket. Will have to cross that bridge later.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #110
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Another vote for the Synergy drag link
Very well made with replaceable ends and easily adjustable.
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #111
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok Iím going to embarrass myself once again because Iím not sure if I can replace the drag link with a synergy or whatever because I have a tapered sleeve (part of AEV kit) where it will fit into.

Also as far as wheeling harder than my previous Jeep goes, nowhere near as hard. That will change soon but not until I do a few more improvements like shocks and maybe hydraulic/gas charged bump stops.

222Doc, I never needed a sector/tack bar brace kit before but just may consider it this time around. I know Iíve read in the past where others have added one but never paid much attention to what they had to say. Why do you feel that you need one if you donít mind me asking?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #112
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Ok I’m going to embarrass myself once again because I’m not sure if I can replace the drag link with a synergy or whatever because I have a tapered sleeve (part of AEV kit) where it will fit into.

Also as far as wheeling harder than my previous Jeep goes, nowhere near as hard. That will change soon but not until I do a few more improvements like shocks and maybe hydraulic/gas charged bump stops.

222Doc, I never needed a sector/tack bar brace kit before but just may consider it this time around. I know I’ve read in the past where others have added one but never paid much attention to what they had to say. Why do you feel that you need one if you don’t mind me asking?
No problems with the AEV kit and synergy drag link. The tapered sleeve you installed in the knuckle just mimics the factory hole in the knuckle, it's just upside down now. If you're still not convinced, I just installed my synergy drag link into the AEV tapered sleeve for the 3.5" lift. Fits just like it should.

I added the track bar brace because my frame side mount was already ovaled out at 7k miles. Even retorquing every 500 miles didn't prevent that. The sector shaft brace was cheap insurance (another $100) since I've read about a few guys snapping their sector shaft off. The extra bearing at the bottom of the shaft should support the better.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #113
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Ok I’m going to embarrass myself once again because I’m not sure if I can replace the drag link with a synergy or whatever because I have a tapered sleeve (part of AEV kit) where it will fit into.

222Doc, I never needed a sector/tack bar brace kit before but just may consider it this time around. I know I’ve read in the past where others have added one but never paid much attention to what they had to say. Why do you feel that you need one if you don’t mind me asking?
Like brian said with the Synegy you would have to drill or ream it, same was for the AEV(chysler) part.

I been wheeling in the 3+/4 range now for sometime. AZ scale ends at 5 few jeeps that see the pavment ever touch those trails as well, its buggy land. I wont wheel those trails. 5's hear guaranties major body damage and part breakage.
I see the strain it puts on that drag link to the pit arm that is being held by the sector shaft. makes sence to support at the bolt end. Pluss heading out to the Dusy trail in Cali then Fordyice I would hate to break a sector shaft 70 miles from a part store. steerig box is like 800$. I have heard that its a none servicible part. wear it replace thing like most of the jeep.

for the 200$ seems like cheep insurance? But I have been know to waste money, i bought aev to start

here is a pic of a Cali trail they call a BLACK or hardest. if it was in AZ it would be a 3/3.5tops. Friend of ours following us in. from a week ago.
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #114
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

Sorry for bringing this old thread back up, but has anyone installed Alloy USA ball joints with better results than those in the first few pages of this thread?

If not, where would you guys consider the cheapest place to buy Synergy's / which of their dealers have a JF discount? I replaced mine last summer with some cheap Crown ones and they're already toast so I'd like to get something nicer and more durable this time around. My original plan was to not hold onto my D30 this long but I dropped too much money into it this winter to all of a sudden ditch it for a D44.

Opinions and reviews are appreciated!

Thanks guys
Unread 05-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #115
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker995 View Post
Sorry for bringing this old thread back up, but has anyone installed Alloy USA ball joints with better results than those in the first few pages of this thread?

If not, where would you guys consider the cheapest place to buy Synergy's / which of their dealers have a JF discount? I replaced mine last summer with some cheap Crown ones and they're already toast so I'd like to get something nicer and more durable this time around. My original plan was to not hold onto my D30 this long but I dropped too much money into it this winter to all of a sudden ditch it for a D44.

Opinions and reviews are appreciated!

Thanks guys
i order from Synergy direct. shipping is free and no waiting for parts i get them in a few days. DO Not forget to grease them once installed then about every 3k. since my last post on this i have replaced all steering parts now with Synergy, sector brace, track brace, drag, track, tied rod. ball joints. the jeep has never felt so tight at the wheel. even new. the tie rod sheds off rocks and has not bent.

I have noticed teraflex has a new set of ball joints out too. any feed back on them?

the track bar brace with sector bearing support is very solid well made.

Unread 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #116
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc
i order from Synergy direct. shipping is free and no waiting for parts i get them in a few days. DO Not forget to grease them once installed then about every 3k. since my last post on this i have replaced all steering parts now with Synergy, sector brace, track brace, drag, track, tied rod. ball joints. the jeep has never felt so tight at the wheel. even new. the tie rod sheds off rocks and has not bent. I have noticed teraflex has a new set of ball joints out too. any feed back on them? the track bar brace with sector bearing support is very solid well made.

Hmm I wonder if the lack of grease caused the Crowns to fail prematurely... I only greased them every 15,000-20,000 miles. Either way I'm going for quality this time (without going to prosteers.) I'll check out synergy's website since I'll be gusseting my c's at the same time and like their gussets.

Does anyone else have ball joint feedback or reviews?
Unread 05-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #117
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker995
Hmm I wonder if the lack of grease caused the Crowns to fail prematurely... I only greased them every 15,000-20,000 miles. Either way I'm going for quality this time (without going to prosteers.) I'll check out synergy's website since I'll be gusseting my c's at the same time and like their gussets. Does anyone else have ball joint feedback or reviews?
The synergy's come recommended by anyone that has installed them on just about any forum search.
I just got mine in about a week ago and was planning to do the install myself, after reading the write ups, I'm thinking the same thing. Why not add sleeves and gussets while you're in there? This will be the biggest DIY I've done on my JK. Luckily, my OEM's aren't totally shot yet, so I have some time to get all the parts in and plan it out.
Unread 05-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #118
mtnbiker995
Livin the dream

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow
The synergy's come recommended by anyone that has installed them on just about any forum search. I just got mine in about a week ago and was planning to do the install myself, after reading the write ups, I'm thinking the same thing. Why not add sleeves and gussets while you're in there? This will be the biggest DIY I've done on my JK. Luckily, my OEM's aren't totally shot yet, so I have some time to get all the parts in and plan it out.
Gussets, yes. Sleeves I'm just not a huge fan of them.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.