Ball Joints! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joints!

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #91
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Dude, I feel your pain. In addition to all of that, it isn't good for the ticker to get that wound up. I thought you'd hit the ball joints out of the park; but, it is not so.

So, back to the Synergy ball joints?

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #92
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wow, I'm gonna be eatin' pancakes for a month.....

The only comment that I can make (that isn't cussing) is that now you know where NOT to buy your next Jeep....

and.........try to keep yourself calmer, dealing with ***holes is not good for the ticker.....

BTW Buddy, I really enjoyed our conversation on the phone....call anytime!!!
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #93
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

WoW. My blood pressure would have shot up so high I would of just exploded right there in front of #1.Good luck with the ball joint fix.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:56 AM   #94
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Another update!

After being told one more time that my ball joints are fine plus me giving it a half *** try to get the one I saw move before which I couldnít, I was stumped once again.

I took it to Adams Drive Shaft the other day and talked to James (the owner and friend) and he told me it was my tires. He explained why he thought that and was going to put on a set of tires he keeps handy just for this kind of situation; to prove that it is indeed the tires. Unfortunately those spare tires were not around to try.

I just happened to still have the new stock tires and wheels from my Jeep so I swapped them out this evening. Did it at night so I wouldnít be embarrassed with those now tiny tires on my lifted Jeep. Damm if he (James) wasnít right. Iíll be thanking him tomorrow for his help. Out of five (5) shops, one of them a Jeep dealer and no one could tell me what was wrong except James.

The downside to all of this is that now I have to spend a crap load of money on 5 new tires. Oh well at least I learned something in the process.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #95
donny90yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

That sucks, but at least you figured it out. Good time to bump up to 37's!
donny90yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #96
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
After being told one more time that my ball joints are fine plus me giving it a half *** try to get the one I saw move before which I couldn’t, I was stumped once again.

I took it to Adams Drive Shaft the other day and talked to James (the owner and friend) and he told me it was my tires. He explained why he thought that and was going to put on a set of tires he keeps handy just for this kind of situation; to prove that it is indeed the tires. Unfortunately those spare tires were not around to try.

I just happened to still have the new stock tires and wheels from my Jeep so I swapped them out this evening. Did it at night so I wouldn’t be embarrassed with those now tiny tires on my lifted Jeep. Damm if he (James) wasn’t right. I’ll be thanking him tomorrow for his help. Out of five (5) shops, one of them a Jeep dealer and no one could tell me what was wrong except James.

The downside to all of this is that now I have to spend a crap load of money on 5 new tires. Oh well at least I learned something in the process.
Hoping its not too long of an explanation for you, but what was up with the tires you were running. Common issue?
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #97
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
After being told one more time that my ball joints are fine plus me giving it a half *** try to get the one I saw move before which I couldnít, I was stumped once again.

I just happened to still have the new stock tires and wheels from my Jeep so I swapped them out this evening. Did it at night so I wouldnít be embarrassed with those now tiny tires on my lifted Jeep. Damm if he (James) wasnít right. Iíll be thanking him tomorrow for his help. Out of five (5) shops, one of them a Jeep dealer and no one could tell me what was wrong except James.

We do tend to chase the problems we create by chain reaction errors - whatever that means.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #98
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Went to Discount Tire where I had purchased my tires and gave a short version of my problem and asked what if anything they can do about it. Well they gave BFG a call and after a few minutes on the phone they (BFG) agreed to a 75% discount on a set of tires.

I took the offer with a smile because the alternative was to buy a complete set at full retail. Next up was to see who had the tires because this particular store was out of them. Every store in Vegas was out too and so was their warehouse. A call to BFGoodrich got the same results, nothing.

He finally found a set in Oregon (I live in Nevada) and they were shipping out today and should be here by Thursday or Friday.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #99
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Went to Discount Tire where I had purchased my tires and gave a short version of my problem and asked what if anything they can do about it. Well they gave BFG a call and after a few minutes on the phone they (BFG) agreed to a 75% discount on a set of tires.

I took the offer with a smile because the alternative was to buy a complete set at full retail. Next up was to see who had the tires because this particular store was out of them. Every store in Vegas was out too and so was their warehouse. A call to BFGoodrich got the same results, nothing.

He finally found a set in Oregon (I live in Nevada) and they were shipping out today and should be here by Thursday or Friday.
Wow, just caught up on this thread. Last time i read it you had the dealer giving the ball joints. What PITA, my blood preasure went up just reading it.

I hate to even think about dealing with dealers. I have leaking washer bottle right now. I checked it out and can fix the motor seal my self. odd setup they used on the 12's the way that just pops in there. easy to fix but prone to fail as well.

Yea tires at least I know the MTR/Ks go out of stock every year and it can be long wait. As Goodyear only has one production run a year and thats it. I know so wheelers here that have a second set, ready. I can not spend that kind of money on 4 spares ready to go. to just sit.

Glade you found the issue.
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:37 AM   #100
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny90yj View Post
That sucks, but at least you figured it out. Good time to bump up to 37's!
No 37ís for me, at least not with this Jeep. I donít want to spend all that money to do it right. 35ís are working just fine for me and is a hell of a lot easier on my Jeep to boot.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #101
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Wow, just caught up on this thread. Last time i read it you had the dealer giving the ball joints. What PITA, my blood preasure went up just reading it.

I hate to even think about dealing with dealers. I have leaking washer bottle right now. I checked it out and can fix the motor seal my self. odd setup they used on the 12's the way that just pops in there. easy to fix but prone to fail as well.

Yea tires at least I know the MTR/Ks go out of stock every year and it can be long wait. As Goodyear only has one production run a year and thats it. I know so wheelers here that have a second set, ready. I can not spend that kind of money on 4 spares ready to go. to just sit.

Glade you found the issue.
Yup, I have lost all respect for the service departments concerning anything Jeep. I donít blame you for fixing what you can on your Jeep; they (service departments) are so unfair when it comes to warrantying our Jeeps. There are exceptions though as John (DBA2GO) has a great relationship with a dealer near him and they treat him right plus his Jeep is lifted. Thatís what I thought I was getting also from the dealer by me but it turns out not so.

Tires:
Well that must have been the reason why when I went to buy tires for my Jeep (2012) after the lift, the MTR/K were on a national back order. My second choice at that time was the KM2ís which I had used on my í08 so thatís how I ended up with them (KM2ís) again. I really like the KM2ís and am going to stay with them, for a while anyways.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:12 AM   #102
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah service departments are ****. I took our TJ to get a 30k mile service. Figured until that point I had done it all myself so it was probably time have at least one dealer service. They went ape **** and gave me a crazy quote because it had this and that wrong with it. On top of the $550 plus service. One of the main items was rotors. I know rotors go bad but it didn't feel like ours were bad and I am big on getting second opinions anyway so I took the TJ to Sears (I had a really good relationship with the mechanics at our local store). I told him if the rotors need to be replace to just go ahead and do it because I knew they were cheaper and I didn't feel like messing with it. He called me back and said the dealer was smoking crack and that my rotors would need to be turned at worse, but I definitely did not need new ones. He also asked me why nothing was lubed on the TJ. The dealer didn't take the time during a full service to lube necessary joints. Overall it was the first and last "service" I ever let Jeep do to my vehicle. I have unfortunately had to take my JK for warranty stuff, sometimes getting good results, other times it just makes me want to shoot people.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #103
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah this **** is just crazy with dealerships. Iím thinking if people (myself included) were to complain to the GM of those dealerships on how we are being treated and are now having second thoughts of ever buying from them again, that we might not be seeing so many of these ďhorrorĒ stories regarding warranty work; just a thought.
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #104
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

We didn't buy the TJ from them we got is used elsewhere, but I did make it a point to bring my JKUR that I got from another Jeep dealer (2hrs away) by to show them that if they weren't such ******bags they might have been able to get my business. I am sure they could have cared less but it made me feel better lol
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #105
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok I know this is getting old but itís still not right. I got the new tires on and it definitely made things better but I can tell it just isnít totally right.

Got a friend to help me by turning the wheels back and forth while I checked out all the TREs and found that the drag link ends are bad on each side. Everything else seems to be ok.

Even though I have to buy a new one Iím glad at the same time because I found the problem (I hope) finally. Obviously not one of those 5 places that checked out my front end did it right, what a farce. I learned the hard way that if possible then do a thorough check yourself, oh well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.