Ball Joints! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joints!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Hereís another one.

So are you saying that yours wasnít as stiff as Jims (JLC08JK) and/or the stiffness subsided way sooner than his?

All kidding aside were your new ball joints more like a factory fresh feel than what Jim is going through?
It's been a while since I drove a 2008 new. But, they feel safe & stout without grabbing or causing any steering problems. They feel great. Install, grease & enjoy.

Unread 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #47
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, hope to have them installed in a few.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #48
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I took all the right steps for the install, grease no hammers and press in straight. I don't understand the tightness either and today on the freeway they are still a bit sketchy
I only need them to last until I get the D44 ready. At that point maybe I'll pull them and send back for refund.
I'm thinking that Dynatrac's will be going in the D44!

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #49
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Those USA Alloys are pretty new to the market I believe; wonder if others are having the same issues as you are experiencing? Also maybe give them a call and see what they have to say about them being so tight.

Letís get together again and wheel for a day or two, that should loosen them up way faster than city driving I would think.
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #50
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had heard the ball joints come with more play from the factory than any other vehicle. I'm sitting at 80k on my '07 and didn't notice they were getting loose until my new wheels were installed (I'm assuming due to the less backspacing).
WhiteRavenRR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #51
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRavenRR
I had heard the ball joints come with more play from the factory than any other vehicle. I'm sitting at 80k on my '07 and didn't notice they were getting loose until my new wheels were installed (I'm assuming due to the less backspacing).
That would do it. I swapped m synergy ball joints in around 7k miles and felt an immediate improvement. Much more stable and solid, less tire kick when hitting potholes or bumps or whatever. Once you start replacing parts like that though, you're likely to feel slop in other places. When I installed the synergy tie rod and track bar with brace it just got even better. The last thing I have to finish up the front (aside from axle shafts) is the synergy high steer drag link to replace the AEV/stock piece.

Basically I felt they were worth the cost on a brand new jeep, so you would REALLY benefit with 80k on stock ball joints.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #52
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Another Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I took all the right steps for the install, grease no hammers and press in straight. I don't understand the tightness either and today on the freeway they are still a bit sketchy
I only need them to last until I get the D44 ready. At that point maybe I'll pull them and send back for refund.
I'm thinking that Dynatrac's will be going in the D44!
Further inspection has uncovered a bad tie-rod end. I think that the tight ball-joints finished off the tie-rod end and the symptoms overlapped.
I changed the tie-rod to a first generation Rock Krawler with one ton ends that I had in the garage. It feels much better even without a stabilizer installed
I'll drive it a little more tomorrow just to make sure it's all good before installing my new Fox stabilizer.
I'm very glad that I have this problem worked out before heading to KOH next week.
John, give me a call if you're available next friday the 8th and maybe we could meet up at the races!

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 02-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #53
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Glad to hear you fixed the problem. That had to be very frustrating to say the least.

Lourdes works that day but she’s going to try and trade that day with someone else. I’ll call in a day or two.
Unread 02-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #54
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Glad to hear you fixed the problem. That had to be very frustrating to say the least.

I don’t know if the Fox SS you have is the same as the ones shipped with the AEV kits but if so it’s a good possibility your Jeep could have a slight pull to the side if so. A lot of people have had that happen including myself. I removed mine and replaced the OEM shock.

Lourdes works that day but she’s going to try and trade that day with someone else. I’ll call in a day or two.
I think the SS that you had was the Bilstein. The Fox that I have is not gas charged so there is no pressure pushing it out. I think it will work well, well I hope it will!
I look forward to hearing from you

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 02-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #55
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I think the SS that you had was the Bilstein...
Yup you are correct my bad, I will strike that from my previous post. I can’t remember **** anymore.
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #56
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I tried it on the freeway and still no good!
Poly Performance ball joints ordered and hopefully here on Tuesday for an install before going out to King of the Hammers on Thursday night. I also ordered a Poly Performance drag-link to complete the steering overhaul
The Alloy USA joints will be going back for a refund. I hope that anyone else that uses these joints has better luck than I have.

Visit the EnviroBeat
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #57
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thatís too bad they didnít work out for you and that you now have to do the same job over again. Have you contacted USA Alloy yet and if so what did they have to say?
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #58
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You probably don't remember, but I've had my SYNERGY Ball joints for almost two years now and I have greased them twice, along with my LCAs--PERFECT-

On-road/off-road/towing/in 4hi/4lo and turning--no slop-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:50 PM   #59
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I just encountered the dreaded DW a couple of weeks ago. So, I've been following this thread and have watched Planman's YouTube video about Death Wobble.

Already ordered new Poly Performance Ball Joints before I've gotten around to doing a surgical analysis of the front end suspension. I figured the ball joints are probably already shot by now, after 41K miles and 37's.

Supposed to arrive tomorrow, but as fate would have it, I have am out of town for the week.

So, keep this good thread going! I'm learning a lot! Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #60
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think that John (1222) is installing his tomorrow and I hope to get mine in tomorrow night so hopefully we'll both have good things to report in the next few days!

Visit the EnviroBeat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.