Ball Joints! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joints!

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #31
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
I had the Synergy ball joints installed 20K+ miles ago & they are great. But, I got 80K+ miles out of my original ones. How many miles do you have on you 2012?
My í08 had roughly 50k before it died and the stock ball joints never gave me a problem. Now I have this 2012 with the same exact set-up and they (ball joints) took a dump while my Jeep still has its baby teeth.

I donít know the exact miles when they went bad but I now have 16k and Iím guessing that they started to show signs at least a couple of thousand before that.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #32
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
On the other hand it would be nice if the products sold by Alloy USA were if fact made in the U.S.A.
I bought a floor jack by American Forge thinking because it was expensive, had great reviews, and the corporate HQ was in NY, that it would be made in America. But when I opened the box, right there on the label, "Made in China". Ugg. Having said that, it's still a real quality piece that far exceeds any other jack I've ever had. Still, I wanted my money to stay in the US.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #33
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't know

I guess I would like to think that the ball-joints were made in Taiwan just so we know where they come from since the joints themselves were not marked. On the other hand it would be nice if the products sold by Alloy USA were if fact made in the U.S.A.

I just finished installing them along with a few other things. They are tight as hell! I sure hope this is normal and they will break in a little as right now they stay pointed in whatever direction you point them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donny90yj View Post
Mine were the same, I torqued them to specs and almost crashed about a quarter mile down the road. After re-greasing them and about 400 miles they were good.
Quote:
Thank's, that's good to hear.
The first few blocks were quite the white knuckle ride with every bump in the road pointing me in another direction
I can tell it will gradually subside, it will be fun in the mean time keeping it straight in the L.A. traffic.

10 day update!
I have just about 400 miles on the Alloy USA ball-joints and they are much better than they were when first installed. I've stayed off the freeway because it gets down right scary though it feels like I may give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes. I know that my steering stabilizer has little to no resistance and replacing it may help as well. With the ball-joints being tight I tend to over correct and on the freeway this gets the Jeep into a pretty good swaying motion that could easily get out of hand.

I really wonder how it would be if a shop installs these joints. They couldn't possibly hand someone the keys if there Jeep handled as mine did for the past week and a half
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #34
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have yet to install mine (Synergy) but I sure hope they aren’t as tight as yours seem to be. I wonder if it’s typical for the Alloys to be stiff like yours when compared to the Synergy’s?

Anyone else install the USA Alloys or Synergy’s on their Jeep and care to chime in regarding stiffness?
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #35
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
... care to chime in regarding stiffness?
I can't believe you said that.

My Synergy ball joints were tighter than my old worn ones; but, I have a heavy duty Synergy tie rod. I bent my OEM tie rod about 70K miles ago. I just had to have the toe set after the ball joints were installed. Not flighty at all and not too tight. Drives great now. I have 20K+ miles on Synergy ball joints.
Unread 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #36
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.bonefishfab.com/

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #37
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

My synergy ball joints felt great right away. Tighter yes, but nowhere near what's being described about the alloy USA ball joints. They never felt unsafe at all.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #38
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

I too am concerned about the instability of driving after installing the ball joints. Whats the deal?
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM   #39
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just get the synergy ball joints from poly performance. Can't go wrong with them!
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #40
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

just curious, did you grease the ball joints prior to install and driving? regrease after a little break in time? kind of scary to hear they are THAT tight.
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #41
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
I can't believe you said that.

My Synergy ball joints were tighter than my old worn ones; but, I have a heavy duty Synergy tie rod. I bent my OEM tie rod about 70K miles ago. I just had to have the toe set after the ball joints were installed. Not flighty at all and not too tight. Drives great now. I have 20K+ miles on Synergy ball joints.
Hereís another one.

So are you saying that yours wasnít as stiff as Jims (JLC08JK) and/or the stiffness subsided way sooner than his?

All kidding aside were your new ball joints more like a factory fresh feel than what Jim is going through?
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #42
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrailratedJ View Post
Very interesting and thanks for the link.

Iím far from an expert on suspensions but have never even heard of such a product until now. It gets me to wondering just how reliable those really are. Iím leaning on the side of not so great. All the different manufacturers that I have seen have never chosen to go in that direction.
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #43
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
My synergy ball joints felt great right away. Tighter yes, but nowhere near what's being described about the alloy USA ball joints. They never felt unsafe at all.
Thatís good news; Iíll be installing mine in the next few days.
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:46 PM   #44
Alaska-HWY JK

Dynatrac in mine $$$. No issues though and I don't expect any.
Alaska-HWY JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #45
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Those do seem to be the cream of the crop and would love to have them but need my money for other mods at the moment. Iím sure Iíll be just as happy though with the Synergyís waiting to be installed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.