Ball Joint Warning!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball Joint Warning!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #46
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
mine was so bad there was need for technical measurement. i mean it was like 3/16 of an inch. made popping sound that was distinctive. i would bet they would have been out of spec at 15k. BUT the jeep see's a a lot of trail time, long distance trails and local DD.

once the lowers were removed they rattled like skeleton in a trash can. they were toast and it is product of more back space 3.75 wide tires and a lot of rocks. I did not go to the dealer and plead my case for a warranty fix. I replaced them. Bought the right tool that cost more than the synergy joints.
I kept an eye on mine, measuring them every couple of oil changes. Watched them approach the wear limit, and finally had to change them at 76,000 miles. Installed Synergy...love 'em!!

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 12:35 AM   #47
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Anyone had success bringing the mentioned good ball joints like Dynatrac or Synergy to the dealer and have them installed under warranty for the bad OEM ones?
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #48
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco
Anyone had success bringing the mentioned good ball joints like Dynatrac or Synergy to the dealer and have them installed under warranty for the bad OEM ones?
Check with your dealer . I know mine will not install a part that wasn't bought through them.
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #49
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

That's easy, have the dealer parts guy call 4x4 supply and order it? I mean, the dealer puts on Terraflex lift and suspension components, why not something that will help safety and longevity as in they will never have to see you again.

I would be worried that if you are replacing ball joints every 6000 miles you are also wearing out the holes the BJ's press into.
Unread 07-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #50
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

The JK isn't the only Chrysler product with defective ball joints. I own a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quadcab; at 60,000 miles the right and left tie rods were worn out. Since it was no longer under Chrysler warranty I paid to have new Moog ball joints and link installed. This week I received a notice from Dodge my truck was being recalled to replace the ball joints and link. This is an expanded recall from earlier this year. Like many new vehicles these TREs did not have grease zerks. The new ones do.
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #51
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

So they key here is: Wait for a recall.
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #52
Harriedtwo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Back in January I received notice of a recall. I took the truck so they could inspect it; they took one minute and decided it was not the one being recalled. Then last week I received an updated recall which includes my truck. I tried to get it taken care of in January but the dealership said only certain models had the defective part. Oh well, at least now I have Moog which should last as long as I do or the truck, whichever goes first.
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #53
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks like I should start shopping for aftermarket ball joints, any of the big names better than the others?

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #54
Rmiller31

Synergy here too. No probs so far.
Rmiller31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.