Bad Luck or are JK Windshields Prone to Cracking? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Luck or are JK Windshields Prone to Cracking?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #16
Unlimited2010

Picked up my 2010 from the dealer 12/27/09 as caught a rock on the windshield with 24 miles!!!!!!! some a$$hole had to get in front of me on the highway.......

glad if you have comprehensive coverage glass has no deductible (least in MA).

been fine since and i have almost 3600K.

-R

Unlimited2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #17
Nicho
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow- you all are fortunate.

I replace my Jeep windshields at least every two years and I don't tailgate or speed. I fix all the cracks and spiders myself with a little kit from the auto parts store but eventually I miss one and the temps out here range sometimes 30˚ in a day and-crack it goes.
Nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #18
Spike7111
2007 JK Wrangler 

About to replace mine for the third time in two years. Never lucky enough for repair always end up with long cracks. It is either learn to live with it or sell the Jeep and I haven't sold it yet!
Spike7111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #19
Rubydak
2008 JK Wrangler 

Picked up my 2008, got on the expressway, 10 sec later. . . Wack! . . . Crack! Friggin trucker driving on the shoulder kicking up rocks.
Rubydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
LBarcher

I've caught many a stone.
The front bumper may be part of the issue as stones get slung out of the tire and bounce off the top of the bumper.
I've watched stones fly past the hood and windshield on gravel roads with no traffic in front of me.
LBarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #21
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

I must be holding the record here for longest time without getting my windshield owned. I bought mine in July of 08 and got my first chip the beginning of this month, 25500 miles after I bought it. A random rock came up from nowhere on the highway. Now I don't wheel all the time but I have been on some very dusty trails with other Jeeps and nothing happened.

BTW in FL all windshield repair/replacement is free as long as you have comp.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
Mountain_Goat
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have had mine about 6 months. Caught a rock right in the bottom center. Cracked up about 6 inches then off to the right almost to the pillar. Funny I watched that "Dangerous Drives" TV show where a bunch of guys from AEV did Moab in the winter. One of the jeeps had an identical windshield crack.

There used to be a clear tape like stuff that 3M or someone made to go around the edges of your windshield. 99% of the time a crack will only start if you get hit on the very edge of the window. You have to get hit pretty hard anywhere else to cause a full crack.

Maybe I'll ask the windshield repair/replacement companies to see if someone still makes that tape.
Mountain_Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #23
nate320
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have 4 rock chips in my windshield that form a diamond about 5 inches from eachother... The worst part is State Farm isn't like most insurers, so they won't fix them without paying the deductable.

Mods: None yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
nate320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Seanie
2007 JK Wrangler 

I took a rock to the passenger windshield after all the ice/snow melted here and it put a 2 foot long crack along the bottom. Had to replace it through safelite, 230 bucks.
Unread 04-23-2010, 12:39 AM   #25
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Damn I must have a super shield LOL I've been all over Canada so far and lots of impacts but no chips or scratches so far . I have Arc splatter on my windsheild and wish I could get damage to get freash glass LOL Pipelining is not the best for your windshield LOL
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't know who thinks this is a JK problem. ALLLLL Jeep Wranglers have this problem. This is absolutely nothing new at all.

Look at your average car with their "sleek" sloped windshield and then look at our brick wall of a windshield(even moreso on older Jeeps).

Nothing new....just something you live with owning a Wrangler.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #27
trentonsahara
2008 JK Wrangler 

get myself a new windshield this month - a rock hit the top edge and chipped the edge, then it turned into a crack and within days it ran across the whole windshield. $203 installed (no insurance coverage on it)
Unread 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #28
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just got my third chip today....no cracks yet, but two of the three are right in my sight line. I may replace it this summer.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 11:31 AM   #29
justjeepinorfw

The TJs and JKs are better than the YJs because the windshield is angled more and curved more than the flat YJ windshield. About every 6months I'd get a new crack in my YJ windshield (I bet my insurance company hated me)!

My insurance (State Farm) always covered it after I paid the deductible (although I would always call one of those windshield replacement companies that say they pay your deductible). I never payed a penny!

Last edited by justjeepinorfw; 04-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: added new paragraph
justjeepinorfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #30
jspeer1130
2007 JK Wrangler 

Test drove my 07 JK on 4/10 and noticed it had a nice big rock ding in it...dealer had it replaced at their cost the following week after I bought it...here's hoping I don't have any problems with it for awhile
jspeer1130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.