Bad Luck or are JK Windshields Prone to Cracking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Luck or are JK Windshields Prone to Cracking?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
RedArrow10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Bad Luck or are JK Windshields Prone to Cracking?

My latest of 5 Jeeps that I've owned is a 2009 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited. I've owned one YJ Laredo, two TJ's, and a Cherokee. I've never had a problem with the windshields cracking from stones until I got my JK. I'm getting ready to replace my fourth windshield in less than 8 months! All of them due to stones hitting the windshield because it's obvious where the impact was and crack started. Is this just my bad luck or a design flaw in the JK? Has anyone else experienced this? This is getting expensive to pay $100 deductable every time. Thanks.

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Hornsby
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got a rock crack the first week I had had it. Luckily it hasn't spread and I haven't gotten any more in the 6 months after.
Hornsby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

I haven't gotten a crack in mine yet, but every time I drive it sounds like it. I guess the pressure difference causes the windshield to contract and expand and it makes a sound like a crack should have appeared across the glass.

I've only been hit by stones a couple times, and nothing here, but I've heard the windshields are easily cracked. I've made it a point not to drive behind dump trucks or get too close on certain pavement types.
rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

With the JK, they curved the windshield to try and help with aerodynamics as well as rock chips. I've had several rocks hit my windshield at highway speeds and I haven't had any chips or cracks. You should try one of those guys on the corner of a gas station that fill in the chips. It may be cheaper and prevent the chip from turning into a crack.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
jeb3
2007 JK Wrangler 

No chips or cracks on mine yet, just alot of bugs.
jeb3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Got a big peck in mine a few weeks ago on the freeway. It will crack across if I don't get it filled soon...
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Got mine repaired by safelite today... And I can't find an auto insurance company in Alabama that waives the glass deductible. It's always whatever your comp is...
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
jd_goldcombat
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2001 TJ and a 2010 JK Unlimited. Not sure if it's just bad luck...but these appear to be FOD (foreign object damage) MAGNETS! Probably because they are slightly less aerodynamic than full sheets of plywood. TJ: Rock strike on the windshield in the first two weeks of ownership. One week later the the strike spider-webbed the whole windshield.
JK: Rock strike on the windshield in the first week of ownership. Learned lesson from TJ. Had safelite repair the chip within two hours. Seven weeks later. rock strike on the driver's side windshield pillar. Result: pencil-eraser sized chip in the paint right down th the bare metal.
All three rock strikes occured on I-5. Two in Seattle, one in Tacoma. I should sue WA-DOT. I think it's because they won't enforce seasonal use of studded tires and the roads get chewed to pieces.
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Look at the angle of the JK windshield! It's gonna take hits that glance off most others, but, small "bullseyes" are often fixed by most every insurance co at NO charge NOR deductible w/ filler and pressure and it works., but, once the crack starts runnin' it's just a matter of time....
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
997s4ken

I got one on the lower passenger side. It spread out faster than peanut butter on a sandwich.
997s4ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Double Dog
Back from da stinkin' box

2007 JK Wrangler 

Two windshields so far. One rock and one piece of debris from a truck.
Double Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #12
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

i have two wicked dings on my windshield frame and one nick on the windshield itself.

the ones on the frame..holy cow.. I'm so glad they hit the frame! massive one took a chunk of paint the size of 3/4 a dime, and the other is under the windshield and looks like someone punched it with a big center punch.
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
bubba2u
2009 JK Wrangler 

had to replace mine too
bubba2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
xracer
2008 JK Wrangler 

My first one cracked for no apparent reason, no stone chips or anything that I could find. I had a local windshield shop replace it and the new one had a whistle from 35mph up to about 55mph so they put in a new one for me and the new one cracked when I let the wiper blade slap down on the windshield after washing it. Again the glass shop installed another one and I got another whistler, they took this one back out and installed a different type of seal that flush trim going around the perimeter that seemed to eliminate the whistle. All of this occurred in a matter of about a month and was very frustrating, thankfully the glass shop was very accommodating and was very expeditious in repairing each time.
xracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
mandalayjim
2008 JK Wrangler 

Like most of you guys, I also have had a windshied replaced. Mine was caused by a stone that hit at the lower edge of the glass and spread in a long line. The glass guy told me it is because there isn't any metal trim around the glass and the slightest ding on the edge of the windshield will usually result in the long line crack. Lucky for me, here in AZ, regardless of your glass deductible the replacement doesn't cost any $$ if the damage happens within the state. State law.
mandalayjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.