Backseat Grab Handles for easy entry for kids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Backseat Grab Handles for easy entry for kids

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 11-22-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Backseat Grab Handles for easy entry for kids

Over time I think my sons (8 and 5) will find it easier to climb into the back of our new 4 door Wrangler but these fix the problem now and I get "cool dad" points from my boys.

I started with 15' of 3/8" black rope picked up from Lowe's and mocked out the knots to get a rough idea on the length needed for each piece.

After measuring I decided 65" would be just right.

Here's the first knot (just folded rope in half)
This hangs on the outer peg of front seat headrest.

Next I tied a double fisherman's knot to create the handle

I tied the second exactly the same and pulled the heck out of both to tighten up the knots

I removed the drivers side head rest and hung the first handle on the out side peg

Followed up by the passengers side

Last thing to do was kid test which resulted in high fives and of course dad's jeep is cooler than mom's.

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it only cost about $7.00 for the rope or $3.50 each

Unread 11-23-2011, 04:24 AM   #3
fmdualexhaust
2012 JK Wrangler 

Got a feeling that if you don't make a set of these for Mom's Jeep, you will be cooking your own supper.
Nice idea on the handles.
fmdualexhaust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
dglass221
2012 JK Wrangler 

Awesome idea! Let the kids pick their own rope color and they will mod for life!
dglass221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglass221 View Post
Awesome idea! Let the kids pick their own rope color and they will mod for life!
Yeah, my oldest son asked me, so dad what are we gonna do next to the jeep?

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
ljvsnyder

I like the results you got from this. My 5 and 8 year old have the same issues getting in and always reach up to the back of the seat. I have a lot of nylon webbing lying around from my rock climbing days. Your description gives me something to work with. I wish Jeep would put some bolts about halfway up the B pillar to attach a handle to. How did yours hold up over time?
ljvsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Very nice; I love to see user fabbed mods.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljvsnyder View Post
I like the results you got from this. My 5 and 8 year old have the same issues getting in and always reach up to the back of the seat. I have a lot of nylon webbing lying around from my rock climbing days. Your description gives me something to work with. I wish Jeep would put some bolts about halfway up the B pillar to attach a handle to. How did yours hold up over time?
They have held up great and they get a lot of use (at least used once a day). The only 'pain' was getting the kids to not play with them or pull on them while we're riding. Constant tugging on them is a pain in the back and flipping it around the headrest doesn't feel good on the ole noggin lol

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Very nice; I love to see user fabbed mods.
Thanks!!! DIY mods are great and for me, anything that incorporates the family or makes it easier for the family to go jeeping is even better.

Unread 09-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Gane35
2010 JK Wrangler 

I love it. My little cousins will love it. I wonder how much weight you can put in that though?
Gane35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gane35 View Post
I love it. My little cousins will love it. I wonder how much weight you can put in that though?
I can't really say how much weight but I've had adults riding in the back and they used them to get in. Also, it's hanging from the headrest post which is fully inserted so all of the weight is distributed to the back of the front seats.
I'm a big guy and I've probably pushed back in my seat way more than anyone would ever pull on the handles while getting in. Like I said before, I do have a 'no hold' policy for these while riding. That's what the handles mounted above the doors are for.

Unread 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
ljvsnyder

Well I made my own rear seat grab handle using some nylon webbing and some grommets, work well, now just need to get my side steps on.
ljvsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I would want to bring the two sides of the loop together (long sleeve or whipping) down far enough to make it into a little D-handle to eliminate any chance of choking/strangulation.

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #14
TMJeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This will be a great idea for when I get mine.
31" BFG A/T
Cibies headlamps, plus 30 bulbs
other than that pretty much stock for now
TMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I would want to bring the two sides of the loop together (long sleeve or whipping) down far enough to make it into a little D-handle to eliminate any chance of choking/strangulation.
I guess your kids are better behaved than mine. In the case of my kids I would have been tempted to inform them this was a new restraint system and encouraged them to place their heads into it...

Just kidding but then again...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.