B&M Transmission Cooler Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > B&M Transmission Cooler Help!

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

B&M Transmission Cooler Help!

Hey guys, I got the aux cooler and Im not exactly sure which lines tag into eachother. On the side of the radiator there is a white and black line. Any help from someone whos does this would be alot of help. Its pushing low 90s today so Id like to get started on this as soon as I can.

Thanks

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

A couple pictures of what Im talking about

Unread 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
greenrover
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have one installed.
The upper line (white) should be the "return" line from the factory cooler that you want to splice into (double check me, it will also be the upper line into the transmission), there will be a small rubber section where you can do this.
After you cut this line, the radiator side of the splice should go to the IN side of the B&M and the transmission side should connect to the OUT of the B&M.
Hope that helps.
Unread 06-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrover View Post
I have one installed.
The upper line (white) should be the "return" line from the factory cooler that you want to splice into (double check me, it will also be the upper line into the transmission), there will be a small rubber section where you can do this.
After you cut this line, the radiator side of the splice should go to the IN side of the B&M and the transmission side should connect to the OUT of the B&M.
Hope that helps.
Ok gotcha, thankyou! I just got it mounted where it needs to be, but Ive got to run a few errands before I get going on the tubing. Just getting it mounted took me a little bit, this hot weather sucks because my hands get really sweaty lol.

Looking forward to getting this done, I can tell that the transmission isnt shifting like it should. I want to eventually get a tranny temp gauge, do you have one installed?

Unread 06-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

You could also run an in line oil filter with an oil filter relo kit. Then clamp a magnetic heat sink to the oil filter for even more fluid capacity, cooling and protection.
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Ok gotcha, thankyou! I just got it mounted where it needs to be, but Ive got to run a few errands before I get going on the tubing. Just getting it mounted took me a little bit, this hot weather sucks because my hands get really sweaty lol.

Looking forward to getting this done, I can tell that the transmission isnt shifting like it should. I want to eventually get a tranny temp gauge, do you have one installed?
if you need extra tubing be sure to get transmission line, not fuel line. You want the line to handle the heat.

I use an aeroforce gauge plugged into the OBDII port. Other options are a temp gauge attached into the trans pan. There are threads on that set up.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
if you need extra tubing be sure to get transmission line, not fuel line. You want the line to handle the heat.

I use an aeroforce gauge plugged into the OBDII port. Other options are a temp gauge attached into the trans pan. There are threads on that set up.
Oh really? Can you get me a link on a temp gauge that plugs into the port? Seems less hassle if you want a gauge.

I went to autozone and asked for some 3/8" radiator tubing. I got 3 more feet. The job wouldnt have been doable with just the tubing that came with it. I cut off about 10 inches off the one that it came with.

Unread 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys, I was cringing when I was cutting the hose the first time haha. All turned out good. Only a couple things to look out for. They only give you 4 hose clamps, when really you need 6. The other two I used on the cooler itself. So just something to look out for, because you will need 4 at where you make your splices. Also, needed 3 feet more line, worked out perfectly, only had less than a foot of hose leftover.

Also, make sure that the hose splicers are tight, i had a leak in no time so I added some thread sealer on the supplied parts and it seemed to fix the problem. All in all, it would be a really easy project if it wasnt so damn hot outside!

Unread 06-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh really? Can you get me a link on a temp gauge that plugs into the port? Seems less hassle if you want a gauge.

I went to autozone and asked for some 3/8" radiator tubing. I got 3 more feet. The job wouldnt have been doable with just the tubing that came with it. I cut off about 10 inches off the one that it came with.
I use the aeroforce interceptor. They are a bit pricey but it do a lot more than just the trans temp.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #10
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet View Post
I use the aeroforce interceptor. They are a bit pricey but it do a lot more than just the trans temp.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html
Looks nice, maybe when I have some funds.. I need to save for a bumper somehow.

Unread 06-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

That looks like quite the bend... is it just the picture angle?

I ran mine a bit differently..need to redo it.
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumOre View Post
That looks like quite the bend... is it just the picture angle?

I ran mine a bit differently..need to redo it.
Probably just the picture. Its actually pretty loose

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, I went redundant with my aux coolers (2)--

Eight 1" hose fittings, but no leaks after 3 years-

Ya just gotta be careful/w install, course I bypassed the stock cooler (warmer)--

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

why didn't you just use a barb? Instead of the treaded fittings.
brasshosebarbcoupling.jpg

MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchappy View Post
why didn't you just use a barb? Instead of the treaded fittings.
Came with the kit, had no problem using them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.