Axles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Axles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-14-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

Axles

I have heard, and read that the axles will be "better" then before. How do the axles on the 2007 compare to the axles now? What about the front 44 on the rubi, will it be better then the one they have now? Any specs. on spline count and diameter?

Unread 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAholic
I have heard, and read that the axles will be "better" then before. How do the axles on the 2007 compare to the axles now? What about the front 44 on the rubi, will it be better then the one they have now? Any specs. on spline count and diameter?
From the Jeep release documentation:
"The highly capable underpinnings of Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X and Sahara models include an enhanced Dana 30 front axle and Dana 44 rear axle – each featuring larger pinion shafts, pinion bearings and axle joints for increased durability compared to its predecessor. Engineered to take on the most demanding trails, the all-new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon model features enhanced heavy-duty Dana 44 front and rear axles, which also feature larger pinion shafts, pinion bearings and axle joints."

From 2007 Jeep Wrangler Chief Engineer Jim Issner :
"The Dana 30 front axles have a high pinion design (TJ was a low pinion design) to provide greater gear strength, the housing is stiffer and stronger, and the pinion bearings are larger for improved durability.The Dana 35 rear axle also has a larger pinion and unitized wheel bearings. The prior design had an on-shaft bearing. The axle shafts have also increased in cross section for improved strength. Overall, the axles have been improved over its predecessor. In fact, we are considering different names for the axles since they are virtually all new. "

About the T-case design he said:
"The T case is stiffer and the main case joint is clamped by 18 fasteners instead of 9 previously. The t case consists of three pieces instead of five to reduce the potential for leakage. "

I also saw the engineers wanted to rename the Dana44's Dana45's because they were so much improved, I also saw the specifics on sline counts etc, but I can't find a source for those right now. I'll track 'em down and post when I can.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
FanAholic
2007 MK Compass 

thanks thats good info. Would it be safe to say that the new 35 is as good as the old 44?
Unread 08-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
pbrutsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAholic
thanks thats good info. Would it be safe to say that the new 35 is as good as the old 44?
"As good as"?

It's too soon to tell, but I think that it would be pushing it. I think you'll be able to do things with the new D35 that you couldn't with the old D35.

My WAG (wild arse guess) is that the pecking order will be something like this, weakest to strongest:
old D35
new D35
Chrysler 8.25
old D44
new D44
Unread 08-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The new Rubi D44 front is also high pinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.