Axle sleeves & c-gussets - this is the quote I got... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle sleeves & c-gussets - this is the quote I got...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Axle sleeves & c-gussets - this is the quote I got...

I'm looking to strengthen my front D30. Emailed my local shop to get a quote and got a quote that seems way too high. Initially the quote included TB bracket reinforcement, LCA skid paltes, c-gussets, & front axle truss along with the axle sleevs - total cost apprx $1600! dropped the "axle armour kit" off the quote and got the following response. Let me know what you guys think of this:

"$899.99 to dis-assemble the entire axle, drill 10+ holes through the housing, install the sleeves, weld them up, re-assemble the entire axle, shafts, hubs, & brakes, then buff and prep the axle for the gusset kit + that includes the parts! That doesn't seem to bad."

Does that sound like a deal??

Thanks for your help guys!

janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Seems high to me, personally. I'd do that work for $200 + parts.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yah seems a little high. I spent roughly 1800 + tax for Sleeves, Gussets, Aussie Locker, Regear Front/Rear Axles and Diff Covers...
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Brightwhite
2012 JK Wrangler 

I was quoted $525 for teraflex sleeves, gussets, and knuckles installed. It was 5 hours of labor and parts included.
Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

It's not that hard, actually - for an honest quote I'd like to see charges for hourly labor, welding materials, drill bits, the parts/kit and perhaps buffing/painting afterwards.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
It's not that hard, actually - for an honest quote I'd like to see charges for hourly labor, welding materials, drill bits, the parts/kit and perhaps buffing/painting afterwards.
I agree however being in the auto industry and working with all sorts of shops and some quite goods ones I can honesty say 99% of the shops that I deal with never charge for consumables. They fiqure out how long it should take and charge an hourly rate. Things like drill bits and welding wire,paint etc. Very rarley are added to an invoice. The shops that do, not only make more money but usually are the shops that do the best job.
liveflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ I agree, but one has to realize what is actually used in a job such as this. I know, I just finished sleeving, gussetting and regearing my JK. My only point is that there is alot more involved than just buying the kits and labor.
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
NYCunlimited10
2009 JK Wrangler 

Installed Nitro No Weld Axle Sleeves with a friend, No Charge, ruined a cheap race driver set.
Quoted $200 to weld Upper and Lower C Gussets.

Purchased Gussets from Northridge for $65.
Purchased Axle Sleeves from Northridge, I cannot recall pricing at the moment.

The welding was to be performed by a local welder with licensing, certification, etc. for structural purposes who went on the forums and other online sources to see exactly what needed to be done before giving me a quote.
This did not include removing the axle or the ball joints. I am ok with purchasing a set of synergy ball joints if the stock ones are effected.
2009 Silver JKU, Auto4x4, Painted Hardtop, Teraflex Sliders, 2.5 RC BB, RC Spacers, 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac, MBRP Tire Carrier Extension, AEV Snorkel, IPF 968, Smittybilt XRC10 Winch, Hella700FF, ARB Deluxe Bumper, Bilstein 5100's, PSC EVAP Skid, Riddler Diff Covers, Nitro Axle Sleeves, Synergy C Gussets, Axle/Trans Bellows, Teraflex Bump Stops
NYCunlimited10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Overheating ball joints and axle seals PLUS leaving metal filings/debris are the concern when doing this job - it is very messy drilling and stepping up holes for plug welds to 1/2".

I was pretty thorough, put rags on coat-hangers into axle tube while drilling to sweep out filings, then used a magnet to gather the fine stuff. Then I swapped out the stock ball joints for Synergy's and put wet rags over the axle seals to keep them cool while plug welding (diff was removed, regearing anyhow).

Regardless, the OP's original quote is higher than I would have expected.
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Who did you go to in Atl?
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlrubicon05
Who did you go to in Atl?
Allsouth Autosports. They are an awesome shop and do great work, but seem to be a little spendy when if comes to this kind of stuff...
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #12
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had them quote some shocks for me when I lived in Buford. They are high on their pricing. I can't really recommend anyone in that area lol. Closest guy to you that does the best work is Fred Perry shop Clemson 4wd. It's far though
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.