Axle Seal Leaking/07 JK - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle Seal Leaking/07 JK

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #16
oaklane
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well my jeep survived yet another visit to the dealer to have the axle seals looked at on April 28, 2008. They called during the day to say that they weren't leaking at all and really didn't want to replace them both since they couldn't see any evidence of leakage. I have the evidence I have the pictures and when I come to pick it up, I'll show you. Good thing I took pictures. The passenger side has been now replaced 2x and the driver side once. I find myself looking every time I get in and out. Im hoping this isn't going to be a lemon item.

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...y%20Addiction/
oaklane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
LBarcher

Dredging up an old thread...

My 09 Rubicon is headed for its 4th seal replacement in under 40 thousand kilometres.
Hopefully I can talk the dealer into finding the cause this time.

The Jeep is stock and has only seen gravel roads so I don't think they can claim abuse.

If they don't find a better fix, I'm tempted to trade it off for something else.
LBarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #18
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Since the seals are located at the differential end of the axle shaft, then you would really have to suspect burr or something on the shaft itself is tearing or wearing the seal - they should really check the inner end of the shaft for some abnormality that is causing premature wear. I have sleeves in my axles that also provide an integral seal at the outer end to prevent water, dirt and debris from entering the inside of the axle tube altogether.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Seems like it is often the right sides on these. I've had the right side fixed once. Thought it was leaking again, but it ended up being left over residue.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #20
LBarcher

The "left over residue" was brought up. Left over residue won't drip on my garage floor.
I told them that the job isn't done until the mess is cleaned up.
Honestly, any mechanic worth his papers shouldn't let something like that happen.
The dealership knows what I expect and 2 minutes with a rag isn't too much to ask.
LBarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:05 AM   #21
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bump,
Bring up an Old Thread but, yesterday I noticed as I change my oil that my driver side rear axle is leaking. Checked the level of the diff with my finger and its maybe a 1/4 inch low on diff oil. Don't want to fill it so I can show it to the stealership.
One: It has 61500 miles on it ( Daily Driver - My Wife)
Two: We off-roaded on Jan 1, 2010 however we didn't touch any water or mud.
Three: Last time I off-roaded in water or mud was right at 2.5 years ago.

SO..... for all you people that have had this problem,.... do you have any post thoughts or suggestions, or you wish you should of done........???
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle seal , JK Wrangler , leak , leaking fluid , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.