Axle Gussets, worth it or not? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Axle Gussets, worth it or not?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
takeda54
2008 JK Wrangler 

Axle Gussets, worth it or not?

Found these Gussets for making your axles a little stronger. Anyone have these installed? Could hurt for 90 bucks right.

EVO: Gussets/Brackets, Off Road Evolution Evo C2 Axle Gussets

takeda54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
RMiksits
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They have to be worth something. Several local jeepers run them.
RMiksits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Rustler55
2008 JK Wrangler 

EVO sleeves and gussetts.........................well worth the money I have a D30 sleeved and gussetted, with ARB air lockers front and rear.
Rustler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Rustler55
2008 JK Wrangler 

Even the D44 C's are weak so Rubis are not exempt from axle problems with bigger than 35" tires and hard wheeling.
Unread 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Rustler55
2008 JK Wrangler 

From JK Forum:

ATTENTION: Inspect Your Front Axle Housing!!
Unread 07-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
takeda54
2008 JK Wrangler 

That picture is scary on multiple levels. Had the Jeep a little over a week and I must say i'm having doubts about off roading lol. How hard to you have to off road it for this to occur? Would the gussets and sleeves have a good chance to prevent this? Or is it a simple case of the D30 being completely nutless?
takeda54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
MoparToYou
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is also a picture from another forum. And this is a much more common scenario than outright breakage of the axle housing. There are likely a fair number of D30s and D44s running around with something like this, and the owners don't know it yet.

I don't think it has been proven that the sleeves and gussets prevent the problem. It is generally assumed that it does, but no actual testing has been done that I am aware of. The companies that sell these re-inforcements state numbers like "30% increase in strength". Betcha that is a "best estimate" and not a measured value.
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have jumped my jeep on the dunes a few times, clearing air on all 4's without anything happening and check for damage very often. Please dont let the pics scare you too much and prevent you from wheeling. I did however just purchase a exterior sleeve kit from RS-E and might pickup the the inner sleeve sometime down the road.
Those gussets can be purchased at polyperformance for $65, no way in hell are they worth $90 and even $65 is pushing it. I decided to make my own after looking at how easy it would be. Im using the guide from JKowners called "Building the Ultimate JK 44 Front End" I would check it out. I also am going to make my own knockle gussets and tube long side truss along with a short side truss.
I would recommend purchasing the inner or outer sleeve kit, Im going to try installing it without taking the damn axle down. Will make a writeup on how that goes, I went with exterior mainly to reinforce the stock brackets, I will be making small tusses for them while Im at it.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
I have jumped my jeep on the dunes a few times, clearing air on all 4's without anything happening and check for damage very often. Please dont let the pics scare you too much and prevent you from wheeling. I did however just purchase a exterior sleeve kit from RS-E and might pickup the the inner sleeve sometime down the road.
Those gussets can be purchased at polyperformance for $65, no way in hell are they worth $90 and even $65 is pushing it. I decided to make my own after looking at how easy it would be. Im using the guide from JKowners called "Building the Ultimate JK 44 Front End" I would check it out. I also am going to make my own knockle gussets and tube long side truss along with a short side truss.
I would recommend purchasing the inner or outer sleeve kit, Im going to try installing it without taking the damn axle down. Will make a writeup on how that goes, I went with exterior mainly to reinforce the stock brackets, I will be making small tusses for them while Im at it.
I cant wait for that write up! I did not know there was an exterior sleeve kit available...
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #10
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

actually there are a few available, I picked one that already had cutouts for all the stock brackets so there is no need to cut them off. PP has one that needs everything to be cut off.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

RS-E:$319 for inner and outer sleeves and knuckle gussets. Not bad
Thanks for the info
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Link to the outer sleeves? I cant seem to find them for the life of me.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #13
Rustler55
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you looked at the post from JK Forum, you should check your axles after you do hard wheeling. Even if they are sleeved they can break, you just won't have the type of break you seen in the pictures of unsleeved axles.
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Unless there are rare cases dealing with some sort of deficiency in the metal, I can't imagine a scenario that most of us would ever run into that would cause damage to an axle like that. I've heard of slight bends from hard wheeling with big tires, but cracks like that? You can't tell me that it's a common problem. I would also imagine that people who wheel that hard have the cash to fix it.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
drowe303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryJK4455 View Post
Link to the outer sleeves? I cant seem to find them for the life of me.
Results for Drivetrain
drowe303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle , axle gussets , axle sleeves , JK Wrangler , reinforcement , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.