Auxiliary transmission cooler needed for a DD JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Auxiliary transmission cooler needed for a DD JK?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 07-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Auxiliary transmission cooler needed for a DD JK?

Hello--
I have a 2010 Sahara Unlimited that's on pavement 99.9% of the time and forest service roads for camping the other 0.1%. I don't do any towing either. I've read numerous posts about the benefits of adding an auxiliary transmission cooler for off-roading and towing, but I haven't been able to figure out if this is worth adding to a Jeep that gets babied like mine...

If so, I'd probably go with the Mopar unit. I live in the Minneapolis area and the dealerships are quoting $295 for the part (I'll try and buy it online for less if I can) and $250 to install so I don't really want to spend this kind of money if it's not going to be a significant help. I checked with a local repair shop and they quoted the same price as well. Not sure I can install it myself as my skills are limited to oil, differential, and transfer case fluid changes and tire rotations.

Thanks for your input!

sdebol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would.......When my hot oil light came on before i did the Mod i was on a Forest service road.

B&M trans cooler DIY for less than 50.00
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Get the cooler , even daily driving through elevation changes and stop and go city driving can cook the trans. fluid. It's too bad you couldn't do it yourself it really isn't that complicated, especially if your getting the Mopar kit.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

If people are questioning the fluid that high anyways without the second cooler, i figured $250 was cheaper than tranny rebuild to keep it cooler.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
aznjeep

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsther View Post
If people are questioning the fluid that high anyways without the second cooler, i figured $250 was cheaper than tranny rebuild to keep it cooler.
...it isn't so much as a rebuild as it is replacing the whole Jeep after it catches on fire from the tranny fluid dripping on to the exhaust. X2 for getting a cooler. On the 2010, we installed the B&M.
'10 JKUR (sold) Build Thread
'99 TJ (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

The Recall should prevent the leaves and such from staying above the skid plate next to the exhaust, to prevent the jeep from catching fire when they installed the bar.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

If I try to install the Mopar unit myself, what's the worst I can do if I screw up?...
sdebol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

I HIGHLY recommend an aux. cooler on all automatic JKs pre 2012 model year. The Mopar kit wasn't available when I did mine. I put a Hayden brand cooler on mine, pretty much the same as the B&M kit. Pretty simple install, but you have to fab up some mounting brackets. I made mine out of some galvanized strap. I recently installed the Mopar kit on a friends '10 JKUR and highly recommend it. You can get it from any number of Mopar online selelrs for around $250. If you have some tools and patience you can install it yourself quite easily. One way or the other, get one on there.
SoK66 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.