auxiliary lighting/switch panel question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > auxiliary lighting/switch panel question...

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

auxiliary lighting/switch panel question...

Is it necessary to install a switch panel to mount auxiliary lighting on a JK?

There are no switches available on the factory set up I have...

Either way, I plan on mounting either fog lights or driving lights to my windshield and am curious if it is even necessary to get a switch panel...

I see that warn has a wireless operated driving light/fog lights but,,,....not sure if thats the best route to take.....

Rdlynch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #2
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

No you don't need an actual panel, there are places that you can mount them.
This recent thread is answering the same question > http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/f...witch-1253737/
There are other great write-up's in the F.A.Q.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

So basically u can just buy a single switch, and install it on your dash?
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Or do most auxiallry lighting kits come with a switch already? Im confused... With that, to get the switch on the panel would you have to take off the whole thing and cut a hole the size if the switch and push it through?
08 JK/6 speed/2 Door/soft top--35x12.5x17 GY MTR's--ATX slot's--R.K. Stock Mod--Smittybilt rocker guards--PSC evap skid--PSC tramp stamp--Hella 500 black magic's--RK drag link. Pure Jeep axle knuckle/gusset kit.
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #5
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also, as i stated i want to mount the lights to my windshield, would it be ok to mount fog lights on the windshield?
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Most kits come with switches, relay and wiring. You donít do anything to the front panel other than drill the hole. Just remove the side panel to install your switch and do the wiring. Itís super easy. One suggestion though, give it some thought where you actually put the switch because you just might want to add more in the future.

Putting fog lights in that position might not be a good idea because of the glare it would cause off your hood and back to the windshield.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

I see. So all you have to do is create enough room on the side panel to mount a switch. I think i get it now.
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Or, spend a little money and get the --sPOD-system

Completely sealed/harness'd/aircraft style unit with 6 ckts-

Checkitout

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Or, spend a little money and get the --sPOD-system

Completely sealed/harness'd/aircraft style unit with 6 ckts-

Checkitout

JIMBO

X2 the sPod system is so worth the money!
[CENTER][URL="http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][COLOR="Black"]ROCK KRAWLER[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.4x4spod.com/"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]S-POD[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.milemarker.com/"][FONT="Impact"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]MILE MARKER[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/"][FONT="Fixedsys"][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]A.C.E.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=voodooJK;11973781]Something you said after the fact exposed that part of me... like a catholic school girl normally would.[/QUOTE]
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
onlyjeep
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here's where i put mine!
image-1733989676.jpg  
onlyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Alright. So I think im gonna go with the Hela 500 black magic driving lamps...they would look good on my black jk and they are pretty cheap. On the product description, it dosent state that it comes with a switch,,.... so would it be okay for me to just buy a single switch from like daystar or something? Would that be all i would need to operate them? I would love to get the spod, but i cant afford that right now, one day for sure tho....prolly when i invest in lockers.

What do you guys think? Any of you have experience with the hela black magics?
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdlynch2 View Post
Alright. So I think im gonna go with the Hela 500 black magic driving lamps...they would look good on my black jk and they are pretty cheap. On the product description, it dosent state that it comes with a switch,,.... so would it be okay for me to just buy a single switch from like daystar or something? Would that be all i would need to operate them? I would love to get the spod, but i cant afford that right now, one day for sure tho....prolly when i invest in lockers.

What do you guys think? Any of you have experience with the hela black magics?
Most lights come with a switch...I would say though that I prefer LED AUX. lights because they use so much less power and have been really satisified with the Rigid Industry LED's.

I bought a set of Dually's on Amazon for $175 and have found many offroad shops that offer Rigid lights will match that deal.
[CENTER][URL="http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1"][FONT="Arial Black"][B][COLOR="Black"]ROCK KRAWLER[/COLOR][/B][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.4x4spod.com/"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]S-POD[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL] [URL="http://www.milemarker.com/"][FONT="Impact"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]MILE MARKER[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
[URL="http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/"][FONT="Fixedsys"][B][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]A.C.E.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]

[QUOTE=voodooJK;11973781]Something you said after the fact exposed that part of me... like a catholic school girl normally would.[/QUOTE]
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
JK-Ford
2007 JK Wrangler 

Most people use pencile beams or long rang beams on the windshield mounts to reduce hood glare. Driving lights and fog lights are usualy mounted on the bumper. But it is your Jeep. So put em wher you like em. You certanly can buy another switch and use it with any harness. In fact, you may want to choose the LED color.
130w KC 6" Driving Beams on Grab Bar Mod
Rock light mod
Reverse light mod
JK-Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-Ford View Post
...You certanly can buy another switch and use it with any harness. In fact, you may want to choose the LED color.
Good point, especially if you plan on adding more switches later on. It will keep everything looking nice and uniform and not like a hack job.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #15
Rdlynch2
2008 JK Wrangler 

Spoke with a guy on quadratec over online chat and he stated that black magics do come with a switch....it isnt stated in the product description but, i would like to know for sure before i purchase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.