Aux Light Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Aux Light Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton93 View Post
I'm not the best with electrical

You really don't have to be with Automotive/DC wireing. Electricity runs positive to negative. If you think of water in a hose floving one way it's easier). Mostly you need to understand what the parts are. Relays handle the high amperage (power). They get wired strait to the battery and stay in the engine compartment so if they fail you don't set the cabin (where you are) on fire. The switch (low power) goes into the cabin, connects to the relay and turns it on and off. All the accessories are wired to and get their power from the relay.

Basically, you have a light. You run a positive and negative wire to the battery to get the light to work. That's great, but you don't want the thing running all the time, so you need to add a switch. Now the switch interrupts the positive lead so the electricity only flows when the switch is closed. This is the most basic way to wire a light. To make it safer you add the relay instead of the switch and you use your switch to turn on and off the relay (like a remote switch).

The only thing I left out are fuses. They also interrupt power when they blow and are safety devices. You add them into all positive leads, so if there is a problem, they blow and stop the electric from flowing.

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
nam1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Here is what mine looks like. I had a yellow waterproof box drilled some holes, epoxied some flush mount bolts in for the relays, painted and then mounted everything. The paint actually looks like hell but it works until I can find a better box. If I had all of the materials on hand it would probably cost around $120.
20130505_172806.jpg   20130505_173038.jpg   20130423_181507.jpg   20130713_160752.jpg  
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #18
Thornton93
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks nam1. Where would you be able to buy those materials at?
Thornton93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
nam1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Everything from amazon (including the heat shrink) with exception of the blue spade type connectors. I got those from a local auto parts store.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.