JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   AUX/2nd Fuel tank build/install (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/aux-2nd-fuel-tank-build-install-1633705/)

zjilla 09-29-2013 09:43 AM

AUX/2nd Fuel tank build/install

So after taking 2 1500+ miles trips in my jeep in the last year and getting 300-320 miles pertank, i have decided im tired of stopping for fuel and want to install (not replace original) a 2nd auxillary fuel tank in my JKU. I have searched around the internet and saw the Gen kit and the price tag it comes with. so ive started pondering cheaper options in my head.
Luckly I have a 98 ZJ with a 22ish gallon tank that i started looking at.

So this is the plan- I know i need a tank, a switch, some wiring, a sending unit, and some hoses. I was going to relocate the muffler under the drivers side of the jeep and put the pick-n-pull ZJ gas tank with pump/sending unit in its place. I know i will need to cut my rear floor out for access and devise up some mounting brackets.

I was talking to my mechanicly inclined/electrician brother came came up with a few options-

Option #1:I told him i wanted both tanks independent and have each (stock OE and aux tank) pumps/sending units wired to the stock fuel gauge (activated by a switch between the two) running independently to the engine bay.

Option #2: He suggested to keep it simple and simply wire a switch to activate the second fuel pump when i need it and have the fuel lines from the 2nd tank pour into the OE gas tank to refill it.

before I start this endevor: can any one see any problems i would run into with the 1st or second option? This will be my first go at anything fuel related on a fullsized vehicle.
:2thumbsup:

222Doc 09-29-2013 09:53 AM

I have looked into it a bit. The best info on this is at Pirate, that I have read.

Gen right is expensive but, you do get what you pay for. I want to go that route, but to do their Jk flat belly. But I need to water that money tree a lot.

I read that a Tj tank works with some mods to the skid. It seems that a 3.8 runs on the Tj's fuel pump. So they were saying at Pirate. no codes.

Have not heard if this trick works on 012+ So for me it may not work.

zjilla 09-29-2013 10:37 AM

So if a tjs works should it be safe to assume the zj will work them same? Its pretty much the same beast of a jeep underneath the hood. Im leaning towards the zj only bc a tj in a junkyard in the uk is hard to comeby and i know that the junkyard a mile from my house has 3 zjs and two wjs. The wj has a smaller tank i think. They went from 22.5 to 20.5 with the new body style.As for the codes...thats why i was leaning towards option #2 to avoid anything dealing with the 07jku computer

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum

Maertz 09-29-2013 10:41 AM

you can find aluminum tanks on ebay for dirt cheap. just an fyi if thats a option for you.

zjilla 09-29-2013 11:18 AM

Ill take a look. Its just shipping usps is what gets me in the long run $$$$$. I had to pay 115 to have my bushwakers shipped to me.

I can fab up my own fuel cell with all the leftover plate steel i have from my bumper and spray the inside with a liner and use a sending unit from a zj...u think that would be a better option than trying to fit a OE zj fuel tank?

zjilla 09-29-2013 05:01 PM

so ive decided on option two with an OE ZJ gas tank, sender unit, and fuel pump with an on-off switch. now how should i pump the fuel from the OE ZJ tank into the OE JKU gas tank? Is there a hose or point i could tap the pump lines from the ZJ tank into the JKu tank? my goal is to not tap any new holes into the JKU tank. i want to retain the factory jku filler nozzle and have the aux tank have its own independent filling point.

pauljbrennan 09-30-2013 05:41 AM

I had an 80 series landcruiser, and the 2nd tank simply filled into the main tank.

Maybe you could plumb into the filler neck andthe fuel will then drain into the main tank.

TMJeep 09-30-2013 06:28 AM

Another thing you will have to think about is refilling the aux tank. I'm not sure if you thought about that yet.

73azbronco 09-30-2013 09:58 PM

And venting.

Godholio 10-01-2013 11:01 AM

Option 2 definitely has fewer potential points of failure/complication. KISS principle and all that.

zjilla 10-01-2013 12:08 PM

as soon as im done with my tire carrier over the next two days i will update this thread with a project. thanks for the input! i wanted to get as many opinions on it before i jumped into an unknown territory for me

brianjw 10-01-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauljbrennan
I had an 80 series landcruiser, and the 2nd tank simply filled into the main tank.

Maybe you could plumb into the filler neck andthe fuel will then drain into the main tank.

You can run into issues interconnecting tanks like that if it isn't setup right. Even if they are both at the same height, but the aux tank was in the far back. On level ground the tanks lower at the same rate. Some sloshing may take place as the level lowers, some could be slowed with baffles near the interconnect tubes. But the real problem could be climbing a long hill with 1/3 tank as the fuel would all move to the aux tank, and the pump in the front tank would run dry.

Setting them up to fill at the same time should be fine but either way I'd run either separate pumps, or a transfer pump in the smaller aux tank to transfer when the main tank is almost empty.

zjilla 10-02-2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjw (Post 16470969)

You can run into issues interconnecting tanks like that if it isn't setup right. Even if they are both at the same height, but the aux tank was in the far back. On level ground the tanks lower at the same rate. Some sloshing may take place as the level lowers, some could be slowed with baffles near the interconnect tubes. But the real problem could be climbing a long hill with 1/3 tank as the fuel would all move to the aux tank, and the pump in the front tank would run dry.

Setting them up to fill at the same time should be fine but either way I'd run either separate pumps, or a transfer pump in the smaller aux tank to transfer when the main tank is almost empty.

Thats how the long ranger tanks are setup. Found a local dealer here in england that sells them but they are 2300 sterling pounds! Genright would def be a cheaper option for bolt in

SubAtomicGenius 10-02-2013 05:43 AM

Great idea for the aux tank. I'm interested.

Lol, I know a fella who put a tank in the back of his diesel pickup - he used a simple 1/4 turn valve that drained into his main tank. One day, he opened the valve to fill his main tank and forgot about it. He left the airport parkinglot full of diesel fuel. In the end, he never got caught, but you can imagine what kind of trouble you'd get into if something like that happened...

The time now is 04:21 PM.