Automatic vs. Manual - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic vs. Manual

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

The overheating issue was with the old transmission and was fixed with an aux cooler (which should have been included from the start). The '12+ has a completely different auto and an aux cooler.

Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
The overheating issue was with the old transmission and was fixed with an aux cooler (which should have been included from the start). The '12+ has a completely different auto and an aux cooler.
Nice, then not an issue if purchasing new. I'm partial to the m/t just bc it makes me feel more in touch with my rig. But thats just me
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Auto.

The only reason for a manual is that you like to shift gears. That's it.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Auto.

The only reason for a manual is that you like to shift gears. That's it.
Really? There are zero benefits for the m/t? Lol
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #20
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Right.... Zero benefit to be able to downshift and compression brake, select the right gear for what you're doing without the transmission hunting and failing to anticipate your next move. No benefit to having the driveline 100% connected to the engine without slipping through the torque converter...

There are benefits to both. Manual transmissions win for low maintenance costs and long term reliability, generally. No overheating, little complexity. Some of us enjoy shifting and having more control over the vehicle, and more hands on driving. I actually enjoy driving. I suppose once I get old and hate driving I will start buying all vehicles with an auto trans. A boring car to get me from point a to point b in traffic, something that is enjoyable in no way at all (think Toyota Camry) I guess an automatic would be fine for me.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

The new auto is definitely nice. I got the 6spd simply so I didn't have to worry about my JK going up in flames. If I were to get a '12 or '13, I'd get an auto, no question.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #22
DaK09

Times are a changing. Am seeing more autos than manuals on the trails when it comes to JK's. Just easier, put in the gear and 4 wheel ya need, gas brake steer, all ya need to do. No worry about a clutch, stalling on a incline or over an other obstacle.
DaK09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Really? There are zero benefits for the m/t? Lol
Yep.

Look at the semi-pro offroading rigs. You'll be lucky to find one with a manual.

Compression braking is completely unnecessary unless you are driving 7k elevations. The auto doesn't "hunt" if it's geared correctly. Ask anyone who bought a 2012.

There's no more maintenance to an auto than there is a manual. Come to think of it, I've never replaced a clutch or adjusted a clutch fork or replaced a throwout bearing on an auto.

Ten years ago the manual was an advantage. It ain't ten years ago, though.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.