Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler

Does anyone have any ideas on some different ways to mount an automatic transmission oil cooler? I am looking to mounting one in front of the radiator and condenser........Thanks

Unread 02-29-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe you could mount it above the existing one?
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

the existing one is a part of the a/c condenser. I don't see any real mounting points for one either.
Unread 03-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, itís connected and just below it. Iíve measured the size of it and itís about the same size as some of the external ones you can purchase. I think the placement of it - below the plastic/bumper - reduces its efficiency.

I have seen others mount theirs horizontally under the engine/transmission. With an electrical fan to supply additional air flowÖ
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
Unread 03-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe002 View Post
......and itís about the same size as some of the external ones you can purchase. I think the placement of it - below the plastic/bumper - reduces its efficiency.

I have seen others mount theirs horizontally under the engine/transmission. With an electrical fan to supply additional air flowÖ
You can do what some of the hot rodders do and get a frame rail mounted one: they sell 'em in different lengths: mounting it to the SIDE of the frame would *probably* protect it pretty well................. just a thought.
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought a B&W cooler.........about 7" x 10" and I am trying to figure out a bracket arrangment to mount it in front of the condenser, down low..... Not much in that area to mount too...
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Roger Frazer - I think the stock cooler - with its not so good placement - is around 4x18 or 72 square inches of cooling. I also think itís about 1Ē thick so that would be 72 cubic inches of cooling.

I donít know what the B&M cooler is, but if itís about the same size and you canít find a good area to place it then Iím not sure the cooling will be improved.

Iíll be watching this thread - living in the desert I'm interested in keeping my transmission cooler too.
Unread 03-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

According to B& M, the cooler is sized for about 13,000 btu of cooling. I plan on adding it in series with the exisiting cooler. I plan on towing a small boat, so this should help........as well as with off roading when there won't be a lot of air flow do to vehicle speed. I figure additional cooling sure could not be a bad thing as automatics don't like excessive heat.

I was just hoping someone had done something similiar.....other than mounting it flat with a fan. Oh well, nothing like being the "leader" in invoation...
Unread 03-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ah, OK - could double the cooling. I donít know if you have to worry about the flow direction/restrictions in the coolers. Maybe while you are at it you could add a temp gauge?

Anyway there is plenty of space in front of the AC condenser. Maybe bolt it to that heavy metal tube that is directly in front of the AC condenser?
Unread 03-02-2008, 12:06 AM   #10
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, I spent the day working on it and here is what I finally wound up doing.

I installed (2) pieces of 1"x1/8" x 15" long aluminum flat bar vertically from the top radiator support to the bottom support tubing. I paint the pieces black and bolted the cooler to those. It spaced the cooler about 2" away from the condenser, right in the center. It acutally turned out pretty good. Tomorrow I am going to hook up the lines and reinstall the grill...
Unread 03-02-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Finished the install and it turned out real good. Its not even noticable unless you really look close.
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds great! Do you have any pictures, or procedures you used to install it? Did you hook up the stock radiator too? Hook up a temp gauge? How much extra oil did you have to add? Sorry, about all of the questions, but like I indicated, I live in the desert and probably should do the same thing some day.
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I installed it in series with the cooler incorpoarted in the condenser......it was the bottom line which I think is the return line to the transmission.

The cooler came with the necessary fittings.......barbed hose fittings. I took 2 pairs of needle hose vice grips and clamed the lines and cut it in between them. I then installed each line (one at a time) onto the barbed fittings and tightened the clamps. I had already installed the lines on the cooler.

To install the cooler, I cut 2 pieces of aluminum flatbar (1/8"x1") 15" long. I mounted each piece of flatbar to the top radiato support with 1/4-20 bolts and snaked the nuts inside of the slotted opening on the top. I attached the bottom of the bars to the lower support brace by drilling holes all the way through the bar. I then installed each with a 1/4-20 x 2 1/2" bolts with a 3/4" spacer to allow for clearance for the hoses. I routed the hoses out the bottom and around to the back when the transmission lines are.......there is a section of rubber hose in each line and I spliced into it there...

I don't have any pics but its actually pretty straight forward. I did not install a temp gauge. I see no reason for one considering the size of the cooler. If the oil doesn't stay cool with this setup, then its a pretty much mute issue.

Let me know if you need any further info... If you were closer, I would be more than happy to help you install one...
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #14
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Roger Frazer - thanks for being the first to do the install and posting it. I think you found a good place to mount it. Iím marking the page for when I give it a shot too. If I run into difficulties Iíll be sure to send you a PM or two.

Yeah, it would be a lot easier if I could drive over to your place and get your help with the install. I always procrastinate, so I probably wonít be doing it for at least a few weeks. I have two bumpers and a winch to install first.

Thanks again for doing it and posting the set-up. If you see any long term issues, please post Ďem here.
Unread 03-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Roger - thanks for the write up! I know you say it's easy (and it does sound fairly simple), I have a tendency to really muck up the simplest of tasks. Thus, any pics you could take would be appreciated!
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.