Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

View Poll Results: Are you having a problem with your JK Automatic?
I have NO problems, my transmission works great 278 90.55%
I am starting to have problems requring a visit to the dealer 15 4.89%
My transmission is a constant problem and has already been to the dealer 14 4.56%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #76
Natesjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

2007 jk auto trans 32500 miles and runs great!

Natesjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #77
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine used to do the same when I "backed" my trailer up my slanted driveway and usually just dropped into 4lo--no problemo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUMLORD View Post
I also have the shuttering in reverse when backing up my steep driveway with the boat hooked up. other than that it shifts and works great.dealer told me that it was common and said that the reverse gear really wasn't designed to tow any amount of weight. understandable i suppose, its a jeep not a pickup. i commend him for the honesty, and believe he'd take care of it if it ever became a real problem, and im tired of people complaining about how under powered their jk's are. under powered compared to what? a pickup? of course, its a jeep. when i compare it to my old tj, its a big improvement. just my 2 cents.
Now I don't have to since my regearing-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #78
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know this is an old thread; but, my Jeep now has the torque converter shudder when clutch is trying to lock up under 40 mph. I have an 2008 JK Rubi 4 door w/ auto trans and 109k miles. My mechanic suggested some Lube Locker "red" to help resolve the shudder. I'll try to remember to report back if that helped resolve shudder.
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #79
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
I know this is an old thread; but, my Jeep now has the torque converter shudder when clutch is trying to lock up under 40 mph. I have an 2008 JK Rubi 4 door w/ auto trans and 109k miles. My mechanic suggested some Lube Locker "red" to help resolve the shudder. I'll try to remember to report back if that helped resolve shudder.
A problem like this might be corrected with a programming change. There is typically a pulsed signal to soften the engagement, and as stuff wears, it becomes more noticeable.

Fresh correct fluid might not hurt either, if it's old. In the old non-lockup days, none of this stuff was very critical, hydraulics just clunked the stuff in and out and the TC took up the slack. Such is the price of progress.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #80
farmer-dave1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Occasionally I've had my jeep sort of search for a gear when I've had to stomp on it to avoid a situation in city traffic, seemed like it free reved and I let up on gas and then it shifted. Also sometimes it won't kick down until I practically floor it when driving up a hill at interstate speed. Going to get the fluid changed at next appointment 50K.
farmer-dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #81
bcbass51

2007 with 112,000 miles with no problems!
bcbass51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #82
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer-dave1 View Post
Occasionally I've had my jeep sort of search for a gear when I've had to stomp on it to avoid a situation in city traffic, seemed like it free reved and I let up on gas and then it shifted.
That may be a symptom of low ATF???

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer-dave1 View Post
Also sometimes it won't kick down until I practically floor it when driving up a hill at interstate speed.
If you have cruise control set & the torque converter clutch is locked up, that can occur. I squeeze down on skinny pedal & turn off the cruise control & it kicks down to 3rd gear right away. Also, this helps avoid the 5K rpm kick down to 2nd gear.
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #83
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
A problem like this might be corrected with a programming change. There is typically a pulsed signal to soften the engagement, and as stuff wears, it becomes more noticeable.
That is my next step, if this magic fluid doesn't solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
Fresh correct fluid might not hurt either, if it's old.
Had ATF changed just 10K miles ago when I had the RubiCrawler installed and the transmission shifter position sensor replaced.
Unread 01-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #84
hcrose
2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 jeep wrangler unlimited x 4 door 4x4
More problems then time... first car was a93jeep wrangle loved it wanted a newer one when they came out i currently have 88k miles now. .. at 35 the dealership had to rebiuld my motor lifters where tapping told the dealership on 4 occasions they where tapping didn't listen to me ended up taking them a month and a half... couldn't explain to me why they where tapping what caused it or that it wouldn't occur in another 35k mile lucky for me that hasn't happened. While in reverse or going up hills with any sort of incline my car will sudder/vibrate/shake only way i can think to discribe with our having every person on here drive my jeep. It is currently in the dealership because it for suck in 4x4 and the bushing on the channel which controls the linkage broke and my wonderful"sarcasm" jeep is now suck in 4 high and the dealership is starting my lifetime powertrain and motor doesn't cover it. So yes I'd say i have had lots of problems with my jeep
hcrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #85
SRCade
2008 JK Wrangler 

110,000 miles and just put a new transmission in my '08 JK unlimited
SRCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #86
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76 View Post
07 JK Rubi Unlimited Auto (~12,000 miles) - I voted for "constant problem" because I have any issue with torque converter shuddering when encountering any resistance in reverse (such as a speed bump or any incline). I've taken it to the dealer a few times and gotten a variety of responses and reflashes done, but nothing that's cured the problem. That said, I have no issues with the transmission under normal driving conditions (other than reverse).
That is a factory setting. it is not an issue and has a rev limiter in reverse.
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #87
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I use red lubeguard and rarely now have the torque converter shutter. I have 116K miles on my 2008 Jeep and 3speed+ auto transmission is just great.

I'm not working for Robi; but, I understand that VegasRobi has 3.8 engines & trans combos taken out of Jeeps he upgrades to LS engines for pretty reasonable prices.
Unread 08-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #88
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

92,000 miles and counting. Change fluid every 10 to 15k or once a year without fail. I know the 42RLE gets a bad wrap but, its actually a very good tranny just the overdrive is a little tall for most user's who choose to run 33s and bigger hoping it stays locked in 4th even under heavy loads. The one engine it did suck balls behind though was the 4.0L that thing was just horrible. That inline engine was never meant for a big tranny behind it with overdrive. 32RH used in earlier 4.0s was the perfect tranny for wranglers. AW4 for the bigger Jeeps with a 4.0. Sometimes its possible to get a bad apple or two out of a lot but, thats with anything in this world. 90% of the problem is folks don't change the fluid like they should or use the wrong oil.
Unread 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #89
jdm45
2012 JK Wrangler 

Picked up my 2012 in late 2011 and now I've got just over 39,000 miles and no worries. Of course, I now regret saying this and have to find some wood to knock on.
jdm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #90
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

W580 is a solid unit you should not have any problems especially if cared for. The engine will give you problems before the tranny does The 42RLE,32RH and AW4 are also very good transmissions. The AX-5 and 15 are junk as well as the NSG370 for a standard. Probably the best manual tranny would be the NV3550 if I remember correctly for the wranglers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.