Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

View Poll Results: Are you having a problem with your JK Automatic?
I have NO problems, my transmission works great 278 90.55%
I am starting to have problems requring a visit to the dealer 15 4.89%
My transmission is a constant problem and has already been to the dealer 14 4.56%
Voters: 307. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #61
cmashark
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmashark View Post
2011 2 door. Almost a year old. Has 3,500 miles. Can't disengage overdrive with the button. Jeep is at the local dealer waiting to be fixed... Kinda sucks, but I am glad I am having my issue while it is still stock....
Update. Got the heep back today. Not fixed. They said the switch is bad and of course, it had to be ordered and they said they have never seen this before.

Unread 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #62
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmashark View Post
Update. Got the heep back today. Not fixed. They said the switch is bad and of course, it had to be ordered and they said they have never seen this before.
So, probably not a transmission problem?
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #63
cmashark
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
So, probably not a transmission problem?
eh, not really. Just a switch for the overdrive.
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #64
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by element981 View Post
I believe this poll was created in response to another board. Quite a few of the members there are having serious TC issues. One guy had no issues at all, but out of nowhere , a seal in his tranny wore out, blew his tranny and now the dealer nor Chrysler will warranty his Jeep. The reason being "it does not smell or look like ATF+4." The guy proved it was and it made no difference.
Either you have not heard the full story, or he hasn't pushed for his rights. Legally they cannot do that, they cannot cancel the warranty unless they can clearly demonstrate the problem was due to customer abuse.

He should contact the state consumer protection board.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #65
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

37,000 miles and no problem. Only gripe is that the gearing is too high. I shudder to think what a 5th gear would be like... 0.35:1??!!
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #66
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

I started this post when I was hearing horror stories about the tranny. I have 35" tires and stock 4:10 gears. I have 44k with no problems so far.
AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #67
miDushi

Won't shift up

At 6800 miles, my JK decided to stop shifting. First day, it would not get above 2nd gear. Limped home at 20mph. Drove to the dealer the next day, wouldn't go above 3rd.

Once i got to the dealer, it wouldn't go at all unless I ran the rpm up. I didn't want to chance it launching into the customer service area, so the dealer pushed it out of the bay.

I'll update when I hear back from the dealer. UPDATE: dealer reports a loose fitting and AT fluid leak. Tightened the fitting, topped up the fluid. Seems ok, we'll see if it stays fixed.

I love my JK, but this is the fifth warranty claim in under 7000 miles.

Last edited by miDushi; 05-07-2012 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Update
miDushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #68
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Took my 2007 to the dealership two weeks ago for a transmission problem I've had almost since purchasing it last year. Transmission would occasionally slip when accelerating, and sometimes when rounding corners the transmission would lock into its current gear and not shift. A few months ago it began overheating if in 4H for more than 10 minutes.
Shop had it for 4 days, transmission fluid and filter were changed and they told me they couldnt find any issues with the transmission, but flashed the PCM because of a transmission related recall. Service guy told me they could add a cooler for ~$600, but the overheating was a known problem with the auto.
Leaving the lot the tranny slipped again, so I did a loop and pulled back in, and pretty much blew a gasket on the service guy.
Canceled my warranty, and filed a complaint with Chrysler. The very next day got a call from a Chrysler special investigator, who was VERY interested in the transmission issues....as it seems my symptoms are pretty much spot on for the serious transmission failure with the 2007-2010 Automatic....lets see where this goes.
LVCapo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #69
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

2008 JKU Sahara on 35s, 70,000 miles and pull a trailer regularly and NO issues....
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #70
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab76
07 JK Rubi Unlimited Auto (~12,000 miles) - I voted for "constant problem" because I have any issue with torque converter shuddering when encountering any resistance in reverse (such as a speed bump or any incline). I've taken it to the dealer a few times and gotten a variety of responses and reflashes done, but nothing that's cured the problem. That said, I have no issues with the transmission under normal driving conditions (other than reverse).
Weird. I noticed the same thing. My dad told me to put it in the different gears and put the e break on. If it does it when in all gears it's tranny. Mine only does that in reverse as well. I tried all the other gears and couldn't mimic the shutter
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #71
SLUMLORD
2011 JK Wrangler 

I also have the shuttering in reverse when backing up my steep driveway with the boat hooked up. other than that it shifts and works great.dealer told me that it was common and said that the reverse gear really wasn't designed to tow any amount of weight. understandable i suppose, its a jeep not a pickup. i commend him for the honesty, and believe he'd take care of it if it ever became a real problem, and im tired of people complaining about how under powered their jk's are. under powered compared to what? a pickup? of course, its a jeep. when i compare it to my old tj, its a big improvement. just my 2 cents.
SLUMLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #72
miDushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
Occasionally tranny will slip while accelerating.....after doing this it will lock in that current gear and wont shift until I pull over and turn off the engine.
Has been to the stealership twice (for two days both times) and they say they cannot find any issues or recreate the problem.
Capper,
Your problem sounds like mine. It was still happening when I got to the dealer, I'll update my post when I get their diagnosis.
miDushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #73
str8fan
2009 JK Wrangler 

2009 JKU almost 50,000 no worries
Unread 07-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #74
marcus2137
2000 TJ Wrangler 

60K+ miles on 2010 Rubicon and no issues.
marcus2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #75
badgerking
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had to have the transmission torn down and the solenoid packs rebuilt. This was before 36k miles, and thankfully, Chrysler covered it under warranty. I don't trust it though, and honestly expect the thing to detonate someday.
badgerking is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.