Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

View Poll Results: Are you having a problem with your JK Automatic?
I have NO problems, my transmission works great 277 90.52%
I am starting to have problems requring a visit to the dealer 15 4.90%
My transmission is a constant problem and has already been to the dealer 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #31
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

ursandal...You make a good point. Many do not join forums until they have a problem. I feel better honestly after reading the results of the forum. I was getting a little nervous about the auto after reading all the negative posts on the other forum. I will be curious to see what happens in the years to come. In my experience, Chrysler has never been helpful in any type of warranty claim and the condition is worse today.

Although I strongly feel Chrysler is at the bottom end of quality and customer service, man cannot go through life without a JEEP! I knew that when I purchased it, and for every problem I have with the Jeep and Chrysler, I will always remember i went into this with that knowledge and am happy I did. I love my JEEP!

AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #32
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nothing but problems here as well. 2008 auto X. The TC shudders like crazy around 1500 rpms. The TC will lock and the rpms will start to drop down to one when on the highway or hills. I give it a little more gas and get nothing, once my foot is practically on the floor it finally kicks back in and the RPMs shoot all the way up to four. Transmission also makes a slight grinding noise that can be felt through the floor and gas pedal. Been to the dealer four times, flashed four times. No fix. This will be the last Chrysler product I buy. I love my Jeep, but a car with 4K on it should not have this problem and should be fixed. If Chrysler didn't have such bad customer service they might not be in the trouble they are in today.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #33
sk18um
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
If Chrysler didn't have such bad customer service they might not be in the trouble they are in today.
X2. Worst customer service I've ever experienced on any product.
sk18um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #34
zband
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been doing some digging (because I have the same transmission, 42rle) into this "shuddering" problem and it seems that over @ allpar they have discuvered the problem and posted a solution:

My experience (and remember I have a "lighter" tj) is that this is a great tranny if geared correctly (which Jeep/chrysler never tested). If your convinced that what your experiencing is truly a "shudder" and not lugging give this great article a read by Chris Sherman @ allpar

http://www.allpar.com/fix/torque-converter.html

here's a snippet if your in a hurry (remember the a604=42rle)

"After much testing I discovered what really causes the torque converter shudder on or about 38 MPH. The torque converter lock up clutch is not getting enough hydraulic pressure to fully engage, and it slips at 38 MPH. The solenoid that controls it is continuously pulse modulated on and off keeping the average pressure low. It never allows full pressure when the speed of the vehicle is below 42 MPH. It then slips, and “shudders.” This usually occurs after the TC clutch is worn a bit. This symptom goes away at about 42 MPH or so when the computer decides to keep the solenoid on without pulsing it. The occurrence of this symptom is influenced by load, temperature, and wear of the TC clutch and other transmission components...."

This may also explain why those that replaced the TC temporarily had the symptoms go away...

I copy and pasted this from another post I put up. Maybe it will shed some light on your issue. The other problem is completely separate- the 42rle will lock up in 4th almost immediately and not want to get out of it. Unfortunately this problem, as of now can only be solved by regear or turning off the OD, until some third party releases a a re-flashing program for the 42rle's TCM. Turning the OD off, may initially make it seem that its shifting a bit cripser but understand that this transmission has an adaptive memory to it, adjusting your driving style for the first 20 or 50 miles, so its just "adapting to your driving" with the OD off.

zband
zband is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #35
sk18um
2007 JK Wrangler 

So I'll also say the same thing I said over there:

Mine has 4.10s since it's an 07 with the auto. In addition, until very recently, I was running the stock 29" minivan tires. definitely shudder. Mine does exactly what is described in the Allpar article. Chrysler finally consented to replacing my TC but the shudder was back within 500-1000 miles. This problem is a design fault rather than defective parts. IMHO, Chrysler needs to step up and redesign something so that my nearly new, very expensive vehicle works like it's supposed to. This kind of BS is why Chrysler is on the verge of failure.
sk18um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #36
n19948
2008 JK Wrangler 

OK I guess I'm going to beat this to death. I have a slight shudder on the 2nd to 3rd shift. It's doesn't seem to care what speed it's at, just on the 2nd to 3rd shift. If you wind it up so the shift happens at 60 MPH it does it or if you're real easy on it and the shift takes place at 35MPH it does it. The 1 to 2 and overdrive shifts are nice and crisp. Is this what everyone is talking about? I have 1,000 miles on it.

Last edited by n19948; 05-20-2008 at 03:45 PM..
n19948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 12:19 PM   #37
08saharajk
2008 JK Wrangler 

My issue with the JK automatic tranny is that it downshifts too far when you step on it to the point that you are almost at redline rpm. Whats the point in that??? It feels like its going from 4th to 2nd rather than 4th to 3rd on a highway pass. I wonder if there is a way to change its shift points?
08saharajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
irishgearhead
2007 JK Wrangler 

38k and no issues even with the 35's
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #39
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

3100 miles and no problems
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #40
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just judging from the poll. Out of 124 people, 9 say they have experienced problems. That's about 7%. I'm curious to if there is a specific model that has more prevalent problems. Like in the TJ's the Rubicon was more known for a specific driveline vibration where as the Sport's, X's and sahara's were not.....

Just curious since I'm looking to purchase a JK Rubicon where as if there is another vibration issue I will look at purchasing a sahara and building it instead...
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #41
HungryHeart
2012 JK Wrangler 

get a stick. in the 28 years I've been driving, aside from replacing a clutch or two, I've never had a transmission problem. I still have the same clutch in my TJ at 170,000 miles. Let's see what happens in my JK....
HungryHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #42
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

35,000 AT 08' Rubicon no problems. Holding strong
aztec_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #43
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08saharajk View Post
My issue with the JK automatic tranny is that it downshifts too far when you step on it to the point that you are almost at redline rpm. Whats the point in that??? It feels like its going from 4th to 2nd rather than 4th to 3rd on a highway pass. I wonder if there is a way to change its shift points?
crappy gearing... You have 3.72 gears- Jeep was stupid for doing that with the 4dr autos with 32" tires. In 2007, all auto's had 4.10 gears which IMHO is the right gearing for a 4dr with 32's. The 3.72 gears just don't have the umph needed.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #44
Voodoo_Chile
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not had an issue as yet works great for me, 20K miles on the clock so id be scared if it did...
Voodoo_Chile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #45
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

My '07 just turned over 55,000 ...it gets flogged on almost a daily basis (and turning 34 MT's and 4.10's).

Not even the slightest hint of an issue. Still drive like she did on day one.

You'll never hear me professing that the auto's are problem free, but unfortunately statistics do indeed attenuate the situation. The manuals have far more reported issues than the auto's
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.