Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic JK Transmission Problems POLL

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

View Poll Results: Are you having a problem with your JK Automatic?
I have NO problems, my transmission works great 261 90.31%
I am starting to have problems requring a visit to the dealer 14 4.84%
My transmission is a constant problem and has already been to the dealer 14 4.84%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #16
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

23,000 VERY HARD miles and not a lick of problems. My first auto in a Jeep and I love it.

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #17
prezflyr
2008 JK Wrangler 

7500 miles and still slow but shifting fine.
prezflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Bouncer
2008 JK Wrangler 

No problems here..
RWC Front Light Bar, Painted Muffler, Vinyl’d Top Windshield, Husky Liners....
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #19
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB99TJ View Post
I cannot provide links to everything because i was just browsing around reading. I found many people that are having constant problems with the tranny shuddering between shifts, some so bad they cannot stand to drive it. You can see some of this on JK-Forum.com. I posted the same poll on JK-forum.com and I am happy to say the results are very close so far to the results here. It seems that about 85% are happy with no problems so far. We will keep it going and see what happens. I can say I am happy with mine so far, no issues, but I only have 308 miles on it so far. I think I will go for a drive right now...bye.
I'm no expert but I bet if you had a similiar poll on any car/truck website you'd come up with the same 85% happy and 15% pissed. All vehicles have issues and I think that things like this tend to get blown out of proportion on forums such as this.

I doubt there is a vehicle ever made that someone didn't manage to blow the tranny out of in less than 20k. While I feel bad for those with tranny issues I don't think it's something that should drive us all to trade in our JK's as some of those folks on the JK forum have talked about.

Al
Unread 05-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #20
socalduner
2007 JK Wrangler 

11,000 miles and have no trouble with anything.
Unread 05-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #21
Shirai_Ryu

Quote:
I cannot provide links to everything because i was just browsing around reading. I found many people that are having constant problems with the tranny shuddering between shifts, some so bad they cannot stand to drive it. You can see some of this on JK-Forum.com. I posted the same poll on JK-forum.com and I am happy to say the results are very close so far to the results here. It seems that about 85% are happy with no problems so far. We will keep it going and see what happens. I can say I am happy with mine so far, no issues, but I only have 308 miles on it so far. I think I will go for a drive right now...bye.
Odd, Havent seen a single Transmission problem with a JK, I guessing 15% of the people traded in their (insert Japaneese Car Manufacturer) 4cylinder for their Jeep & cant understand that its gonna drive/shift like a truck....
Shirai_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirai_Ryu View Post
Odd, Havent seen a single Transmission problem with a JK, I guessing 15% of the people traded in their (insert Japaneese Car Manufacturer) 4cylinder for their Jeep & cant understand that its gonna drive/shift like a truck....
I believe this poll was created in response to another board. Quite a few of the members there are having serious TC issues. One guy had no issues at all, but out of nowhere , a seal in his tranny wore out, blew his tranny and now the dealer nor Chrysler will warranty his Jeep. The reason being "it does not smell or look like ATF+4." The guy proved it was and it made no difference.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #23
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

21,000 and all is good!
Unread 05-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #24
Kick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2500 all ok
Unread 05-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #25
cab76
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirai_Ryu View Post
Well, as one of the 15%, I can tell you that both my Mazda Protege and my Ford Ranger can back up my driveway without shuddering like a wet dog. And I've negotiated that manuever dozens of times in my Ranger with a loaded bed (again no shuddering whatsoever). You sound a lot some of the dealer reps I've talked to: "it's the large lugs on the tires that you're feeling", "they all do that", and (my favorite) "it was designed that way for off-road travel." LOL
cab76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #26
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

No problems, but I'm only at 2000 miles on mine. So far its great!
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #27
sk18um
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nothing but problems with mine. From day one it has "hunted" for the correct gear without ever seeming to actually make up it's tiny computerized mind. It's been flashed several times to no effect. Also, the TC shudders like crazy between 1100-1400 rpm. Feels like you are driving over rumble strips. Finally, the TC locks up at very low rpms in top gear and it won't unlock (and downshift) until the Jeep is virtually crawling. Chrysler has replaced my TC once and the problems returned within less than 1000 miles. FWIW, this transmission (Chrysler 42RLE) is widely reviled on virtually every internet forum for vehicles that have it installed (300, Nitro, etc.). And all for the same reasons, TC shudder, poor shift points, TC lockup failing to unlock, short service life, etc.

Before anybody asks, 1) my Jeep was stone stock until very recently (finally gave up waiting and bolted all my stuff on), 2) I'm a former technician not some newb whose making up problems, and 3) I've always driven trucks so I'm not expecting seamless perfection. Long story short, this is the only automatic I've ever owned that required me to manually shift it for the vehicle to be drivable. Oh Yeah, and Chrysler customer service is the worst I've ever experienced (and I've owned several British vehicles in my lifetime).

BTW........think about the 15% thing. If you had known before you bought your $30,000 Jeep that you had a 15% chance of it being a total POS, would you have gone ahead with the purchase?
sk18um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #28
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursandal View Post
I'm no expert but I bet if you had a similiar poll on any car/truck website you'd come up with the same 85% happy and 15% pissed. All vehicles have issues and I think that things like this tend to get blown out of proportion on forums such as this.

I doubt there is a vehicle ever made that someone didn't manage to blow the tranny out of in less than 20k. While I feel bad for those with tranny issues I don't think it's something that should drive us all to trade in our JK's as some of those folks on the JK forum have talked about.

Al
I disagree, 15% is terrible (remember, we are talking about transmission issues, not the entire vehicle). Do the math and imagine the number of transmissions 15% calculates to. 1% is about average for Honda or Toyota...and yes, i realize it's a Jeep, but when you spend 30K, you expect your vehicle to work past the warranty period without shuddering issues. Most of these people only have 20k or less. If 15% of the people here are having trans issues now, imagine what may happen at 60K?

Nothing here is blown out of proportion. This is simply a poll to help all of us see the averages, and those that have problems, to see what similarities there are...and I can't recall a discussion here about all of us trading our JK's in.

Knowledge is power. For these people with transmission issues, I am sure this is very helpful. Discussions like this could lead to future solutions.
AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #29
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by element981 View Post
I believe this poll was created in response to another board. Quite a few of the members there are having serious TC issues. One guy had no issues at all, but out of nowhere , a seal in his tranny wore out, blew his tranny and now the dealer nor Chrysler will warranty his Jeep. The reason being "it does not smell or look like ATF+4." The guy proved it was and it made no difference.
You are correct, it was created in response to research I did on the other forum. I just spent 35K on a new Rubicon Unlimited and want to research the issue. I hope with all of us discussing this, that maybe it will help those with problems, and help us understand the problem if our jeeps start someday.
AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2008, 04:44 AM   #30
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I disagree, 15% is terrible (remember, we are talking about transmission issues, not the entire vehicle). Do the math and imagine the number of transmissions 15% calculates to. 1% is about average for Honda or Toyota...and yes, i realize it's a Jeep, but when you spend 30K, you expect your vehicle to work past the warranty period without shuddering issues. Most of these people only have 20k or less. If 15% of the people here are having trans issues now, imagine what may happen at 60K?

Nothing here is blown out of proportion. This is simply a poll to help all of us see the averages, and those that have problems, to see what similarities there are...and I can't recall a discussion here about all of us trading our JK's in.

Knowledge is power. For these people with transmission issues, I am sure this is very helpful. Discussions like this could lead to future solutions.
Not saying there isn't an issue but we have to remember that this is the internet. Often time folks don't show up on these forums unless they have a problem. If you look at threads in vehicle forums often they are for people having problems with the vehicle looking for a solution.

Also the numbers in these polls are very small. I don't know how many JK's have been sold but I don't think we can use a poll with a couple hundrend responses to form a conclusion or a comparison to Honda or Toyota. As far as people wanting to trade in their JK's, check out the JK forum, you'll see plenty.

Is this info useful, absolutely!! I may very well look into a tranny cooler just to give myself some peace of mind. I believe Mopar makes one for this tranny that would help keep the warranty intact.

I think Chrysler is hurting in a bad way and trimming warranty work is one way for them to save money. Unfortunately many of us mod our vehicles and give them ammunition to avoid warranty work and short of hiring a lawyer it's often hard, if not impossible, to win that battle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.