Automatic Hot Oil Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Automatic Hot Oil Problem

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
jft99Wrangler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Automatic Hot Oil Problem

I recently bought a 2010 Sport (automatic) after a few years of owning a TJ. I've enjoyed the Jeep so far and just recently started to make a few minor cosmetic mods. I was searching the forums for a few things, and saw a number of alarming posts about automatic transmissions overheating pretty easily while off-roading. I don't do any serious off-roading at this moment since the Jeep is my DD, but I'm a little concerned that people had their trans. overheat with light off-roading (logging trails), which I primarily do. Is this a big problem or just isolated to a handful of Jeeps? I don't want to dump a lot of money into the Jeep and then have to worry about the tranny burning up every time I go off-road. I know I can get a trans. cooler, but I've heard it voids the warranty. I also read some of the tips about using 4-Lo, turning off OD, etc.

jft99Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It's 4hi uphill or on sand that overheats the transmission the quickest.

There are several things you can do.
Install an additional transmission cooler.
Use 4lo, O/D off, transmission in "D", as much as possible.
Install a transmission temp gauge so you can keep an eye on the temp and take action before it overheats.

Your best bet is the cooler.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If your worried about it just throw a cooler in takes 1 hr and about $50 - $75 cheap and easy mod and itll save your tranny.
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.