Auto Trans will not leave PARK (Until it feeeeels like it!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto Trans will not leave PARK (Until it feeeeels like it!)

New Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps, Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic Halog

Unread 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

Auto Trans will not leave PARK (Until it feeeeels like it!)

Increasingly I can;t move the shifter out of reverse.

When I finally CAN, then I can switch to other gears just fine.

Put it back in Park, maybe I can, maybe I can't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the ability to change gears.

After trying, prying, swearing, eventually it just suddenly slides in to reverse as if nothing had ever happened.

Once I get it to reverse or drive, I can hear a slight actuator sound.

I thought there might be a problem with a switch behind the brake pedal, but guess what . . . I can change to reverse without depressing the brake at all.

I've read a few forums and threads about plastic shafts in the handle etc, folks using zip ties or chopsticks.

I'll crawl underneath and have a look, but in the mean time, anyone have any other ideas?

The transmission fluid was just at the safe line so I added 1\2 quart, it's clean looking.

Also this transmission was put in last fall with an alleged 3yr 36k warranty.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Unlimited_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

There is a shift lock override that may help. But I'd be investigating that warranty....

image-137181659.jpg
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Is that it? Mine does it too. I just physically rock the jeep and it unlocks

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited_Fun View Post
Increasingly I can;t move the shifter out of reverse.

When I finally CAN, then I can switch to other gears just fine.

Put it back in Park, maybe I can, maybe I can't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the ability to change gears.

After trying, prying, swearing, eventually it just suddenly slides in to reverse as if nothing had ever happened.

Once I get it to reverse or drive, I can hear a slight actuator sound.

I thought there might be a problem with a switch behind the brake pedal, but guess what . . . I can change to reverse without depressing the brake at all.

!
The brake lockout only locks PARK. Once you are out of park you SHOULD be able to shift to rev from N or D without applying the brakes. If you are saying you can shift into reverse (but no further) from park without pressing the pedal - that system (and or parts of it like the actual locking mechanism in the console) or a serious maladjustment of the linkage is your problem.
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thx, I'm not saying that.
Unread 09-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Good - sounds like the shifter is just way out of adjustment - like a broken bushing or something... make sure nothing has fallen in there like a dime etc...
Unread 09-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

I took off the console and inspected the assembly.

The thumb button does pull back a tiny cable that goes to god-knows-where.

When I can't pull in to reverse, it isn't at all obvious what prevents it.

I fiddled with the switch at the brake pedal. There's a plunger on a momentary switch that meets the pedal and it got stuck too much "IN". The brake lights then stayed on. I had to extend it out by pulling forcefully in order for the brake lights to go off again. It seems like the plunger is adjustable on some serrated edge like a wire tie is.

All of the harnesses seem well seated both in the console and at the transmission.

Also, when I put it in reverse or drive, I hear a bit of gear grind that lasts about a second.

I take it that's not normal? I don't recall hearing it before.

Unread 09-20-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Huh, I wasn't even aware there was a lockout?! I can start my Jeep without pressing the brake pedal and shift it from park or ANY other gear without pressing the brake? I guess I've got the opposite problem you've got?!
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
Unlimited_Fun
2009 JK Wrangler 

I threw on some warm-ups early this morning and went to the only place I knew that sold contact cleaner spray in a can.

After inserting the sprayer in the shift-interlock plastic dooma-hicky, I depressed the brake many times whilst spraying to clear whatever funk was keeping it from extended out.

This helped but it still stuck again once so I sprayed in to that same area with some silicone type spray and actuated the plastic piece over a hundred time.

I hear the distinct click from movement when the solenoid engages and in subsequent tests there's no further sticking.

Then I reassembled the console and knobs and shift lever etc and called it good.

I find that instead of needing to insert a key in to the "stick key here to save your arse" slot, I can just push down a lot on that area of the console and the emergency relief moves the interlock dooma-hicky.

A "feature" presented with fiddling with the console to many times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.