Auto Trans stuck in reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto Trans stuck in reverse

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 06-23-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Auto Trans stuck in reverse

I was parked and when I reversed out out I became stuck in what I think is reverse. Could be neutral? My waranty expired 2 weeks ago a i am feeling fd. It is being towed to the dealership now so we will see what they say. I am having nothing but problems with my 07 and now considering trading it in for an 08/09. This sucks? I really love the Jeep but this is getting old. Has anyone had experience with this issue?

Any thoughts or suggestions would help. I guess i need to gear up for a fight with the dealership. Any thoughts on that as well?

Thanks

jarrod318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not sure what you would fight with them about. If the warranty expired, that is just plain bad luck. You have a decision to make. You can get an extended warranty for FUTURE occurences (prepare yourself to pay for this one) or get into a newer Jeep with warranty still left.

I bought mine with one year of warranty left and did no mods until it expired. It has behaved beautifully. When the warranty expired, I had the same choice. I decided to mod the heck out of it because I felt confident about my Jeep. Doesn't mean it won't break on me in the future, but at least I feel it is worth it. If I had any serious issues with it like you seem to have, I would have probably reconsidered my decision.

Good luck and let us know what the dealer says!
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I haven't had this problem but a buddy has had a similar issue with his Mercedes. Problem is that the reverse switch breaks and doesn't feed info to the control module. Cost of new switch for him is less than $30. You should be able to override by starting and then pushing a screwdriver in the override slot and putting in gear. Too late if it is already on the way to the dealer.
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

I hope it is a quick cheap fix like that SoCalJK. I was thinking that it is the linkage or something else.
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have an 09 auto and never had this problem or heard of anyone having this problem. If you're considering trading to an 08/09, keep in mind most of them don't have a warranty because they came with the non-transferable lifetime powertrain. Otherwise you can try to find a dealership offering their own used vehicle warranty. Hopefully it's not an expensive fix.
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Good luck. Let us know what it is.
Unread 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrange View Post
I have an 09 auto and never had this problem or heard of anyone having this problem. If you're considering trading to an 08/09, keep in mind most of them don't have a warranty because they came with the non-transferable lifetime powertrain. Otherwise you can try to find a dealership offering their own used vehicle warranty. Hopefully it's not an expensive fix.
The regular 3 year/36,000 mile warranty is transferable, though.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok so i just heard back from the dealership. The shifter cable came loose and they need to replace the whole assembly which is $600.00. Naperville Jeep gave me a one time good faith pass and will do it for free and pick up the tow charge. I am in shock! Naperville Jeep ROCKS!!!
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod318 View Post
Ok so i just heard back from the dealership. The shifter cable came loose and they need to replace the whole assembly which is $600.00. Naperville Jeep gave me a one time good faith pass and will do it for free and pick up the tow charge. I am in shock! Naperville Jeep ROCKS!!!
Awesome. Being so close to the warranty I would expect them to fix it to keep you as a customer.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod318 View Post
Wow! Outstanding! Those guys deserve extra business for taking care of you like that. Congratz!
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
BigRed09
2009 JK Wrangler 

when you go pick it up i'd bring in some sodas or beer or something, that's not a common occurrence.
Unread 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Ditto on that. Bring both and offer beer first then soda afterwards if they refuse the beer.
Unread 06-23-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

This rare occurrence has made my day......

Usually, all we hear about is crappy dealerships!

Congrats!!
Unread 06-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
jarrod318
2007 JK Wrangler 

I completly agree guys. I may add a few pizzas in as well. Thanks to everyone for the post's. I am new to the Jeep world and not very handy (yet) so I always appreciate the help and suggestions from everyone. Jeep Forum ROCKS as well!!!
Unread 06-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

That is great customer service! They deserve the treats. Also let them know that you posted on the forum. Good publicity is always welcome at the dealers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.