Auto Tranny skips a gear when downshifting - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-25-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID
 
HappyTrails's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 2,899
Auto Tranny skips a gear when downshifting

Recently, I have had auto tranny problems.

If I am cruising along in OD (4th gear) and I press the gas enough to try to get it to downshift, it momentarily downshifts to 2nd gear (revs almost to redline), then shifts into 3rd gear. The same thing happens if I am in 3rd and need 2nd (it goes to 1st gear).

The only solution I've learned is to let off the gas for a moment, then step on the gas, or to push the overdrive OFF button while I have my foot off the gas.

This is NOT right. Something has changed. It used to downshift into 3rd/2nd smoothly.

I have checked the transmission fluid level recently.

Any ideas, oh JK Jedi's?


2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-25-2015, 06:38 AM
Neo1130
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Olympia
Posts: 1,278
Try resetting the computers by removing the battery cables for a bit? Other than that, I had mine start acting up once like that. A few days later, I was out in the middle of nowhere and it would start to slip out of whatever gear it was in. Then went into limp mode...

I had to limp it a few miles to get a cell signal and get closer to home... Well, it was stuck in 3rd gear (I think that's the limp gear) and kept slipping if I went higher than 30 MPH... Turns out my torque convert and valve body somehow went at the same time. I dunno if one took another out or what... But I ended up having to rebuilt the trans. If resetting doesn't help, then I'd take it to a trusty trans shop before it turns into a total rebuild. If I were in town when mine happened, I would have called a tow truck and would have been about half the cost of what I spent. All my clutches were fried from the slipping as well...
Neo1130 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-25-2015, 07:42 AM
JIMBOX
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 7,212
Oh Oh, sorry HT, Mine hasn't done anything like that-

Remember how we've learned that the ECU is "trainable"/"relearnable" ?

Could be the additional SC load on the TQ/tranny has changed the programing without digital influence-

You may have to visit the dealer for OBD11 trouble shooting-

Good luck

JIMBO

Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 10-25-2015, 02:18 PM
1222
RIP John
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson
Posts: 13,239
That brings back memories. My ’08 JKRU would do the same thing at times, I just figured it was normal. I sure didn’t like it but figured there wasn’t much I could do about it. I wonder now.
1222 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-26-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID
 
HappyTrails's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 2,899
I'll try the battery disconnect first.
If that doesn't work, to the stealership it goes.
After that, some serious "drunk sailor cussing", and then to the transmission shop.

Thanks guys!

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-26-2015, 01:37 PM
JIMBOX
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORCAL/NORNV
Posts: 7,212
Good luck--HT


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
I'll try the battery disconnect first.
If that doesn't work, to the stealership it goes.
After that, some serious "drunk sailor cussing", and then to the transmission shop.

Thanks guys!
JIMBO

Yellow Jeep No. 683
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...10-snow027.jpg
--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
JIMBOX is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
duneslider
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Riverton
Posts: 1,881
Mine used to do that a lot and years ago I got a flash at the dealer and it seems that it hasn't done it since then (that I recall anyway). I only have the issue occasionally though, not all the time and it was more likely to happen when I mashed the pedal. I have kind of learned to roll it on and I get better response from the whole beast.

I really don't know/think that the transmission programming on these is that wonderful.
duneslider is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
Recently, I have had auto tranny problems.

If I am cruising along in OD (4th gear) and I press the gas enough to try to get it to downshift, it momentarily downshifts to 2nd gear (revs almost to redline), then shifts into 3rd gear. The same thing happens if I am in 3rd and need 2nd (it goes to 1st gear).

The only solution I've learned is to let off the gas for a moment, then step on the gas, or to push the overdrive OFF button while I have my foot off the gas.

This is NOT right. Something has changed. It used to downshift into 3rd/2nd smoothly.

I have checked the transmission fluid level recently.

Any ideas, oh JK Jedi's?

Hey HappyTrails,

TSB 21-018-08 REV. A may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Flash: Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P0740 Or P1798 And Automatic Transmission Shift
Improvements 1-2 Or 2-3 Cold Shift Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM).
MODELS:
2008 (DR) Ram Truck
2008 (HB) Durango
**2007** - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
2008 (KA) Nitro
2008 (KA) Nitro (International Markets)
2008 (KK) Liberty
2008 (KK) Liberty (International Markets)
2007 - 2008 (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets)
2007 - 2008 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger
2007 - 2008 (ND) Dakota
NUMBER: 21-018-08 REV. A
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: September 17, 2008
NOTE: This Bulletin applies to LX/LE models equipped with a 42 RLE transmission
(Sales Code DGV) built before April 28, 2008 (0428XXMDH). This Bulletin
applies to all 2008 KA/KK/HB/DR and 2007 - 2008 **JK**/ND vehicles
equipped with a 42 RLE transmission (Sales Code DGV).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The software contains the following improvements:
· 2008 LX 3.5L 1-2 Shift Improvements
· Cold (Transmission Fluid below 80° F) 2-3 Shift Improvements

Let me know if you have any further questions.
JeepCares is online now  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID
 
HappyTrails's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 2,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hey HappyTrails,

TSB 21-018-08 REV. A may relate to your vehicle:

SUBJECT:
Flash: Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P0740 Or P1798 And Automatic Transmission Shift
Improvements 1-2 Or 2-3 Cold Shift Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM).
MODELS:
2008 (DR) Ram Truck
2008 (HB) Durango
**2007** - 2008 (JK) Wrangler
2008 (KA) Nitro
2008 (KA) Nitro (International Markets)
2008 (KK) Liberty
2008 (KK) Liberty (International Markets)
2007 - 2008 (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets)
2007 - 2008 (LX) 300/Magnum/Charger
2007 - 2008 (ND) Dakota
NUMBER: 21-018-08 REV. A
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: September 17, 2008
NOTE: This Bulletin applies to LX/LE models equipped with a 42 RLE transmission
(Sales Code DGV) built before April 28, 2008 (0428XXMDH). This Bulletin
applies to all 2008 KA/KK/HB/DR and 2007 - 2008 **JK**/ND vehicles
equipped with a 42 RLE transmission (Sales Code DGV).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The software contains the following improvements:
· 2008 LX 3.5L 1-2 Shift Improvements
· Cold (Transmission Fluid below 80° F) 2-3 Shift Improvements

Let me know if you have any further questions.
THANK YOU! I will contact my local dealer to look into this. Hopefully this beats a transmission rebuild.

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
THANK YOU! I will contact my local dealer to look into this. Hopefully this beats a transmission rebuild.

Hey HappyTrails,

No problem, I am glad I was able to supply you with a useful TSB. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out again.
JeepCares is online now  
post #11 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID
 
HappyTrails's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 2,899
Okay, aftermath report....

Today I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. Then took it into town. Looks like that worked! Downshifts are smooth and easy.

However, I did not really step on it.
Small steps...

If it gives me problems next time, to the dealer it goes for the re-flash!

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome