auto door locking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > auto door locking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-29-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
csmith46

auto door locking

anyone figured out how to disable the autolock feature on the 4 door unlimited? Thanks

csmith46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
EagerJeeper

Unplug the doors.
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

What does the manual say?
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #4
tolh13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
What does the manual say?
it don't say anything
1996 Harley (bad boy)
1973 WV thing
mark
tolh13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerJeeper
Unplug the doors.
he'd lose the power windows and keyless feature then

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #6
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you have the EVIC, it should be an option in there.

If not, the dealer can program that preference, along with a few others depending on how yours is equipped.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
csmith46

Yes - the manual just says it has the feature but no comment on how to turn it off. the key fob can change many other features but apparently not this one. I guess I will call the dealer and see if they know - probably not.
csmith46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
2002RockHog

This thing drives me nucking futz.
The autolocking is one thing, but at least have an auto unlock when you put it in park so that everytime I get out to go around and get my daughter, the friggen thing is locked.

Normally a key is handy, but when I park in the garage I leave the key in the ignition.

Past...
2002 TJ Rock Crawler (sold to Adam)
Fill width Dana 60's Detroits 5.38 full floater
Poison Spyder cage, exo cage, 40" Swampers
2002RockHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #9
JK2BJeep3
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just give it time, you'll get used to it. I leave my keys in the ignition too. When you open the door, just get into the habit of hitting the unlock switch on the door when you get out. 95% of the time I remember to do it, the other 5% I curse myself.

Just think.... at least if you drive or park in shady areas the carjackers, serial killers, and kidnappers can't walk up and open your doors immediately.

However, we all have our pet peeves. I have already turned off the greatly annoying seatbelt reminder chime. A little reminding is fine, but often I'll drive 1/2 mile to my neighbors house, back and forth through the plant at work, etc. and I don't bother with my seat belt - that chime is sooooo loud.
JK2BJeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK2BJeep3
However, we all have our pet peeves. I have already turned off the greatly annoying seatbelt reminder chime. A little reminding is fine, but often I'll drive 1/2 mile to my neighbors house, back and forth through the plant at work, etc. and I don't bother with my seat belt - that chime is sooooo loud.

Wow, the lengths some people will go to to be unsafe! Are you morbidly obese? I ask because I don't understand otherwise how it could be at all difficult to buckle your seatbelt. At least tell me you don't do this in front of any impressionable young people.
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on the situation, I will not put my seatbelt on.

Swapping my vehicles around so that I can drive the one I want to - and it is blocked in by the one I want to leave at home is one situation that seatbelts are not used. When I am hooking up one of my 4 trailers I don't bother with a seatbelt either.

I have disabled the bell on my YJ completely ... after changing the belts to something safer, the bell wouldn't quit chiming
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid
after changing the belts to something safer, the bell wouldn't quit chiming
There's some irony for ya.

To each his own on the seatbelt thing, however the only time I don't put mine on is if I'm staying in the driveway. There are too many bad drivers in the world, and I would feel like such a jerk if I were seriously injured while not wearing my seat belt.
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #13
JeepInfoCenter

Here are a few things you can try to disable the auto-lock features. These instructions aren’t listed within the Wrangler owner’s manual so I cannot guarantee they will work. It’s plausible that the EVIC system used in the Wrangler may be similar to those used in our other vehicles.

The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) features a driver-interactive display. It is located in the lower left part of the cluster below the fuel and engine temperature gauge. Select "Personal Settings" from the EVIC menu (vehicle must be in park)

Lock Doors Automatically at 15 mph (24 km/h)
When ON is selected all doors lock automatically when the speed of the vehicle reaches 15 mph (24 km/h). Press and hold the EVIC button when in this display until “ON” or “OFF” appears to make your selection.

Auto Unlock On Exit
When ON is selected all the vehicle’s doors will unlock when the driver’s door is opened if the vehicle is stopped (manual transmissions) or the vehicle is stopped and the transmission is in P (Park) or N (Neutral) position (automatic transmissions). Press and hold the EVIC button when in this display until “ON” or “OFF” appears to make your selection.

Let me know if these work. If you would like I can post the remainder of the EVIC settings.

Dan
JeepInfoCenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
JoeBlevins

No matter what, we would like to see the rest of those instructions. Very informative.
JoeBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepInfoCenter
Here are a few things you can try to disable the auto-lock features. These instructions aren’t listed within the Wrangler owner’s manual so I cannot guarantee they will work. It’s plausible that the EVIC system used in the Wrangler may be similar to those used in our other vehicles.

The Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) features a driver-interactive display. It is located in the lower left part of the cluster below the fuel and engine temperature gauge. Select "Personal Settings" from the EVIC menu (vehicle must be in park)

Lock Doors Automatically at 15 mph (24 km/h)
When ON is selected all doors lock automatically when the speed of the vehicle reaches 15 mph (24 km/h). Press and hold the EVIC button when in this display until “ON” or “OFF” appears to make your selection.

Auto Unlock On Exit
When ON is selected all the vehicle’s doors will unlock when the driver’s door is opened if the vehicle is stopped (manual transmissions) or the vehicle is stopped and the transmission is in P (Park) or N (Neutral) position (automatic transmissions). Press and hold the EVIC button when in this display until “ON” or “OFF” appears to make your selection.

Let me know if these work. If you would like I can post the remainder of the EVIC settings.

Dan
Added to the FAQ for future reference ...
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.