Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-26-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Expat_J33P_Fan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink

Just in case anyone is thinking of fitting an auto dimming mirror I wanted to share my (positive) experience and add some pointers.
I bought a Gentek 50-GENK41A off ebay for $169 inc S&H which provides the auto dimming and the garage door/gate opener functionality only. The '08 X has temperature and compass on the EVIC so no need to spend extra for that.
Fitting was easy - it is a direct replacement physically for the existing mirror and just needs a torx driver to remove and refit. Running the cable doesn't require too much effort as it just slips under the trim - I ran mine down the left had side (driver side) and dropped it out by the footwell.
With this mirror there are three connections, a constant live for the homelink, ignition live for the auto dimming, and a ground.
The constant live I piggy backed off the red wire on the diagnostic port connector which is +12v. No problem as the door opener takes very little current and is only operated when the button is pressed. The Ground connection is to the left of that and requires a 10mm socket to remove and replace the nut with the "install ready lug" slipped over the threads.
As for the ignition hot feed, that was more challenging since the actual ignition key doesn't appear to have anything over 5v (ie all signal wires = LEAVE ALONE) - best place I found was the violet/red on the back of the unmarked cigar lighter which is +12v when the ignition is on. Getting to it involves a bit of effort though.
You need to remove the center top dash panel (careful of the compass wires) then remove the two 7mm nuts underneath. Then remove the lower trim panel by the transfer lever (moving to 4L helps with access) and remove the other two 7mm nuts securing the bottom of the center panel. Gently pull it forward. Routing the cable is fairly straight forward along the inner lower edge of the dash below the steering wheel. The supplied cable was about 2 inches short so I made up a small extension cable with male/female spade connectors and a bit of spare wire.
Testing/setting up Homelink is as per the supplied instructions which are again very straight forward.
All in all it looks factory standard (I suppose it is on the Sahara/Rubicon!) Either way looks way better and adds useful functionality - so money well spent.

Expat_J33P_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Good stuff! This is a mod on my short list for the spring in fact. Thank you.
GNNR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
elfamiglia
2012 JK Wrangler 

That is great to know. I want one with compass since my '09 X only has the temperature on EVIC.

Have you found whether the mirror vibrates under acceleration? I bought a similar Gentek one off Ebay for my other car and found it vibrated under normal acceleration. Everything is tight so I don't know whether it's missing a 'stabilizer' (if it had one).
elfamiglia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

My 09 X has compass on the EVIC...
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

I wonder... wonder if there is another visor that would fit that has homeline and maybe even vanity mirrors. Or if we could swap out the visor from the jeep visor mount/arm assembly.
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
99TJSport
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have one in mine and I've been very happy with it. Looks factory in there too. The auto-dim was one of the TJ features my LJ had that wasn't available on the JK, so I was glad to find one of these. I was really happy beause I shopped and pick it up for $130 right around Christmas time.

Parrothead Jeepers Union #24
99TJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
Expat_J33P_Fan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfamiglia View Post
That is great to know. I want one with compass since my '09 X only has the temperature on EVIC.

Have you found whether the mirror vibrates under acceleration? I bought a similar Gentek one off Ebay for my other car and found it vibrated under normal acceleration. Everything is tight so I don't know whether it's missing a 'stabilizer' (if it had one).
Haven't seen it vibrate at all - it is all pretty tight - the mounting arm seems much ticker than that of the original/stock mirror and it screws on like the original - certainly doesn't need a stabilizer.
Interesting that your 09X doesn't have the compass - I'm guessing you have the B pack rather than the S pack.
Unread 02-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Expat_J33P_Fan
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNNR View Post
I wonder... wonder if there is another visor that would fit that has homeline and maybe even vanity mirrors. Or if we could swap out the visor from the jeep visor mount/arm assembly.
LOL - now the visors really are something that I find amusing....they really are about as useless as you could design them. I guess it's difficult with the roll cage etc but I have to say they are probably the only thing that I would redesign if it were up to me. I believe the Liberty has a homelink on the visor option (seem to remember seeing that at the dealership)

Swapping out the visors with something
a) useful (ie work)
b) cosmetically better looking
c) add function (like mirrors, homelink etc)
would probably bankrupt DC...... well if it was me doing it anyway
Unread 02-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
GNNR
2009 JK Wrangler 

Something like this homelink rolling code unit in black from ebay... I wonder if it could be hacked into one of the visors. They seem thick enough, but I don't know how they come off the arm or apart (since it seems like it may be two pieces based on a wide seam I saw).

Last edited by GNNR; 02-27-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.