attempt #3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > attempt #3

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-14-2006, 08:25 AM   #1
stl_07

attempt #3

well, i just dropped off my JK at the dealership for the third time to try to have the leaking freedom top fixed!!! does anyone know what the solution for this problem is? i notice in someones post that Jeep claims any JK built after September should not leak. unfortunatly mine doesnt fit that catagory.
originally my top leaked in the front 2 doors right where the top sections meet the larger rear section of the top. after the i took it into the dealership the first time it began leaking at the front right above the center console and water was coming in the set screws that mount to the soundbar. they ordered new seals for the top but im not convinced they know what to do. if anyone has any info that i could pass on to the dealership that could resolve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.. or they might have their first JK on the used car lot. thanks

stl_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Texas TJ

exactly why i will NEVER buy a first run vehicle, WHEN something goes wrong the dealership has no idea what to do

If it won't budge, get a bigger hammer, if it breaks in the process it needed to be fixed anyway.
Texas TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TJ
exactly why i will NEVER buy a first run vehicle, WHEN something goes wrong the dealership has no idea what to do
That was helpful.

stl, did you follow the re-installation steps outlined by those who have had success getting the leaks to stop? I don't recall them all, but make sure you place the last section down rather than sliding it over. Tighten from front to back. Etc.

Your 'little feet' on the back edge of the panels aren't folded out are they?
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Sahara GT
2011 JK Wrangler 

From my experience with a 2 door Sahara which was built in late Sept the placement of the drivers front panel is important. I originally had a very slight drip over the dash which has pretty much disappeared after resetting the drivers side pane.

the technique involves placing the panel down over the seals being careful to not slide it which can crimp the seals.I have first put the rear screws into the sound bar but did not tighten them till the last step. First set the front windshield clamp; next the slider clamps that fasten the driver panel to the passenger panel; and lastlt snug up the screw that goes thru the sound bar until snug ( do not over tighten )This seems to work. My jeep has been in several torential rains ( parked ) and not a drop of leakage.

There could still be a question about drips while moving in a torrential rain but so far I see no leaks.

Are you experiencing leaks while the Jeep is parked or does it occur while you are moving. This may be an additional clue as to the fix.

It seems that many JK's report no, leak or that when resetting the panels correctly the leak disappears.I think there is still some question as to whether driving in a good rain is different than having the jeep sit in the rain vis a vis the leaking.

Interesting to hear how you make out with your dealer and whether they get any input from Jeep.
Sahara GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #5
stl_07

my leaks only occur when i am driving. when i come to a stop while driving in the rain, all the water on the roof that collects in the drain channels pours in the doors. i dont mean drips! i mean pours in the doors!
can some one point me towards the thread that has those installations steps. thanks
stl_07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Sahara GT
2011 JK Wrangler 

sounds like you have a problem with the door seals not the freedom roof
Sahara GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
jeepdude_to

I'd suggest asking the stealership to let you compare your roof panels, with those of a unit produced late/after September to see if there have been modifications to the panels. If that is the cause of your water leak, I'd ask them to change your panels out and replace them with the newer design.

The much less aggrivating approach however, is to try the method of installing the panels mentioned by SaharaGT. Sounds like he knows what he's talking about...
Unread 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
tbrkek

I had the puring leak problem too. Especially on turns it was most annoying. In any case...my delaer ordered a new passenger side section. It mostly fixed the problem. My still barely leaks...which might be from me not placing it right as mentioned in other threads. Apparantly, earlier models did not have a seal on the passenger side panel, which caused the leak. Once the was replaced, it made a VERY BIG difference. I really nead a very hard rain for the little leak to appear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_07
well, i just dropped off my JK at the dealership for the third time to try to have the leaking freedom top fixed!!! does anyone know what the solution for this problem is? i notice in someones post that Jeep claims any JK built after September should not leak. unfortunatly mine doesnt fit that catagory.
originally my top leaked in the front 2 doors right where the top sections meet the larger rear section of the top. after the i took it into the dealership the first time it began leaking at the front right above the center console and water was coming in the set screws that mount to the soundbar. they ordered new seals for the top but im not convinced they know what to do. if anyone has any info that i could pass on to the dealership that could resolve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.. or they might have their first JK on the used car lot. thanks
tbrkek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Laxstar46

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyc
That was helpful.

stl, did you follow the re-installation steps outlined by those who have had success getting the leaks to stop? I don't recall them all, but make sure you place the last section down rather than sliding it over. Tighten from front to back. Etc.

Your 'little feet' on the back edge of the panels aren't folded out are they?

actually it is helpful because this is something everyone is gnna have to deal with because they were soooo excited over the new shiny shiny jeep. There will be problems no one is going to know what to do ur just gonna have to deal with it until jeep fixes the problems at the manufacturing level
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
scottyc
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxstar46
actually it is helpful because this is something everyone is gnna have to deal with because they were soooo excited over the new shiny shiny jeep. There will be problems no one is going to know what to do ur just gonna have to deal with it until jeep fixes the problems at the manufacturing level
That was helpful.
scottyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.