Atlas II in a '13 JKU Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Atlas II in a '13 JKU Sport

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Reply
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
David_M
Member
 
David_M's Avatar
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 446
Atlas II in a '13 JKU Sport

Looking for opinions, and have a question or two about Atlas transfer case upgrade. I have a '13 JKU sport, I have been searching for a rubicon 4:1 transfer case to swap since I bought this jeep new one year ago. I have found a couple but they all wanted what I consider to be a kings ransom, $1,500 or more plus shipping. I absolutely refuse to pay that for a stock rubicon transfer case. The earlier models can be found for a much more reasonable price. Since I have a 5 speed auto transmission only '12-'14 year models will work. I have priced them new from the dealer with warranty for around $1,800.

My frustrations have led me to pursue other options. I was looking at advanced adaptors website and it appears I can get a Atlas II with a 4.3:1 low range ratio with cable shifter, speedometer sensor, yokes, etc for around $2500. It is definitely more than I originally planned to spend but I would rather pay that for an Atlas than $1800 for a stock rubicon case. Honestly, I'd even consider a Atlas 4 speed if it could be done with the automatics. According to Advanced Adaptors web site the computer on the 2012 - '14 year models can only compensate for a single low range gear ratio not multiples that would be used with a 4 speed transfer case.

So my question is being that the Atlas cases are gear driven instead of chain driven is there a noticable increase in noise under normal driving conditions? Any other options I have not considered?

__________________
My '13 Gecko JKU On 37's Build
David_M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
SoK66
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_M View Post
Looking for opinions, and have a question or two about Atlas transfer case upgrade. I have a '13 JKU sport, I have been searching for a rubicon 4:1 transfer case to swap since I bought this jeep new one year ago. I have found a couple but they all wanted what I consider to be a kings ransom, $1,500 or more plus shipping. I absolutely refuse to pay that for a stock rubicon transfer case. The earlier models can be found for a much more reasonable price. Since I have a 5 speed auto transmission only '12-'14 year models will work. I have priced them new from the dealer with warranty for around $1,800.

My frustrations have led me to pursue other options. I was looking at advanced adaptors website and it appears I can get a Atlas II with a 4.3:1 low range ratio with cable shifter, speedometer sensor, yokes, etc for around $2500. It is definitely more than I originally planned to spend but I would rather pay that for an Atlas than $1800 for a stock rubicon case. Honestly, I'd even consider a Atlas 4 speed if it could be done with the automatics. According to Advanced Adaptors web site the computer on the 2012 - '14 year models can only compensate for a single low range gear ratio not multiples that would be used with a 4 speed transfer case.

So my question is being that the Atlas cases are gear driven instead of chain driven is there a noticable increase in noise under normal driving conditions? Any other options I have not considered?
First up, the Rubi 4:1 is an excellent, robust box, and it will likely be and easier swap than the Atlas. That being said, if I ever have a fail with mine the next box going in will be an Atlas II. I had an Atlas II 3.8:1 in my last rig and it was probably the best upgrade of any I did on that Jeep. AA makes a great product, with excellent support. Being gear driven they do make more noise than the chain driven boxes, no doubt. However, the newer ones use shift cables rather than rods like I had and I'm told that reduces the noise considerably.

Lastly, I'd be cautious about going 4.3:1, that's a really low reduction. A 3.8:1 should be plenty with a manual trans.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
David_M
Member
 
David_M's Avatar
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
First up, the Rubi 4:1 is an excellent, robust box, and it will likely be and easier swap than the Atlas. That being said, if I ever have a fail with mine the next box going in will be an Atlas II. I had an Atlas II 3.8:1 in my last rig and it was probably the best upgrade of any I did on that Jeep. AA makes a great product, with excellent support. Being gear driven they do make more noise than the chain driven boxes, no doubt. However, the newer ones use shift cables rather than rods like I had and I'm told that reduces the noise considerably.

Lastly, I'd be cautious about going 4.3:1, that's a really low reduction. A 3.8:1 should be plenty with a manual trans.
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your input. Let me re-iterate that a rubicon case was and is my first option. At this point with the prices I'm finding it just doesn't make a lot of sense when for $800 more I can have a Atlas. Not only a more robust unit which will undoubtedly carry its resale value. Also, have the ability to do front digs is a plus. I'll be the first to admit that a front dig isn't called for often, matter of fact it is rare. But, in my experience when its needed, its needed and there isn't another way.

Regarding your concerns with the low range gear ratio. I do have a automatic not a standard. Is your concern with the 4.3:1 ratio pushing through the brakes or what?

On a side note: I see your from Durango, CO. Any plans of attending the All for fun event in Silverton, CO this summer. My family and I might pack up the JK and head up there in late July.

Thanks, David M
__________________
My '13 Gecko JKU On 37's Build
David_M is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
SoK66
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Durango, CO
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_M
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your input. Let me re-iterate that a rubicon case was and is my first option. At this point with the prices I'm finding it just doesn't make a lot of sense when for $800 more I can have a Atlas. Not only a more robust unit which will undoubtedly carry its resale value. Also, have the ability to do front digs is a plus. I'll be the first to admit that a front dig isn't called for often, matter of fact it is rare. But, in my experience when its needed, its needed and there isn't another way. Regarding your concerns with the low range gear ratio. I do have a automatic not a standard. Is your concern with the 4.3:1 ratio pushing through the brakes or what? On a side note: I see your from Durango, CO. Any plans of attending the All for fun event in Silverton, CO this summer. My family and I might pack up the JK and head up there in late July. Thanks, David M
I just got elected Pres. of our, local club, so I'll no doubt be at All 4 Fun. You'll find yourself rowing in & out of 4lo a lot with a 4.3 and the ratio isn't that much of an advantage over the. 3.8. Sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post re the trans. I had a manual in my old YJ and the 3.8 was the bomb.
__________________
Driver has no money. Owns two Jeeps.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.