Atlas 4 with 3.73 gearing on 2012 JKU sports - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Atlas 4 with 3.73 gearing on 2012 JKU sports

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
Spaf
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineguy View Post
update:

I found a rubicon t-case which i am having put in next week.

Also, in a case of poor self control, i am also swapping the front d30 for a prorock 44 with rcv axles, arb locker, and 4.88s, 1350 yoke. Adding new front driveshaft. I'm also adding an arb to the rear with alloy 35 spline axles.

So bottom line, i took my carefully laid out budget and destroyed it.

My kids really weren't college material anyway.
yes!!!

Yellow Jeep Club #54
"Que scais-je?"
Spaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Geez, I never thought that it would be an issue, whether an automatic or manual. And the T-case should be the same down to the 07's, aren't they?
Negative...In the 6 speeds, they are the same from '07-'14. Even the 4 speed automatics are the same as the 6 speed from '07-'11. However, the 5 speed auto's equipped behind the 3.6's are different. So only '12-'14 Auto equipped transfer cases can be swapped. Hope that helps...

David M
Unread 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Haha. Sweet. Sounds like something I'd do.

I'm still on the fence about spending more on my factory d44 (already with sleeves, gussets, truss etc) by adding rcvs and gears, vs selling the axle as it sits and having a pr44 built similarly.

I believe I've spent roughly $18-20k in jeep add ons in the last year so I'm trying to slow it down a bit for now.

By the way, before installing the rubi case, check for any slop in the front output shaft. Now would be a good time to replace bearings if needed, or a teraflex 2 low kit if its something you might be interested in.
IMHO, though I love the PR44/Tera44, you can build your rubi D44JK with sleeves/gussets, RCVs and a set of new ball joints cheaper than a PR44. After upgrading the Rubi D44JK, then - besides the look - they're practically the same. You won't get the same strength out of a solid thick axle tube, but virtually the same. If you had a D30JK and wanted to buy a Rubi axle to upgrade (retail), then the ProRock/Tera44 is the only answer.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius

IMHO, though I love the PR44/Tera44, you can build your rubi D44JK with sleeves/gussets, RCVs and a set of new ball joints cheaper than a PR44. After upgrading the Rubi D44JK, then - besides the look - they're practically the same. You won't get the same strength out of a solid thick axle tube, but virtually the same. If you had a D30JK and wanted to buy a Rubi axle to upgrade (retail), then the ProRock/Tera44 is the only answer.
There are two distinct reasons I would like a pr44. Less overall weight (the sleeves, truss and gussets aren't light) and the pinion angle/caster difference that can be better setup for a dual cardan driveshaft. Also considering if I re-gear I'm spending more and not getting anything back from the old gears. Seems like I could probably get a decent amount for a rubicon d44 with 4.10s, locker, sleeves, gussets, truss, and synergy ball joints that would go maybe half way to a built pr44? Rather than spending more to regear and add RCVs at this point? Or maybe I'm way off. I don't know what a used reinforced d44 sells for. But if my axle is worth, say $2k and I spend another $2k for gears installed and RCVs, I'm nearly up to the cost of that pr44 with good stuff installed in it. Decisions decisions.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Tough call. I'm lucky, I've got the D30, so she's only on borrowed time before I go for the axle swap. You're right about the caster angle correction, that is the big difference - there is also a serious difference in the strength of the axle tubes when you compare the standard Dynatrac tube thickness, the H.D. thickness and a sleeved D30/D44 axle tube thickness. If you are talking about lighter-the-better, however, the Tera44 is the lightest overall, using standard-thickness tubing at a larger diameter. I think I had a thread about that a while ago.
Unread 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Axle tube comparision between stock, PR44 and Tera44 front axle assemblies:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stock-1288838/
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #22
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Axles installed. Rubi transfer case installed. Waiting for a new rear trackbar and drive shafts.

I think I still might step up to an Atlas 4 in two years. I will see how the rubi case works with the 4.88 gearing.
image-2592416304.jpg

image-3880960704.jpg

Unread 10-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #23
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice!

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #24
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Sweet! Is yours a 5 speed auto or the 6 speed stick? Just curious where you found a Rubicon transfer case? The ones for the 5 speed auto's are a rare find...

Congrats on a sweet set-up!
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbineguy View Post
Update:

I found a Rubicon T-Case which I am having put in next week.

Also, in a case of poor self control, I am also swapping the front D30 for a ProRock 44 with RCV axles, ARB locker, and 4.88s, 1350 yoke. Adding new front driveshaft. I'm also adding an ARB to the rear with Alloy 35 spline axles.

So bottom line, I took my carefully laid out budget and destroyed it.

My kids really weren't college material anyway.
You do know you need to regear the rear also, right?
Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk
You do know you need to regear the rear also, right?
Haha. Yep. Actually I just bought a D60 with 4.88s so I'm good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.