Atlas 4 with 3.73 gearing on 2012 JKU sports - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Atlas 4 with 3.73 gearing on 2012 JKU sports

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Atlas 4 with 3.73 gearing on 2012 JKU sports

I have a 2012 6-speed manual JKU Sport (3" lift... 35's) that like everyone else I am slowly building up.

I've found myself getting more and more into rock crawling here in Idaho and I have big... expensive... long term plans, but right now, my number 1 complaint in my crawling.

At first I was thinking about just doing a gear swap to 4.88 and reinforcing my front D30, but quite truthfully, I'm pretty happy with my 3.73 and 35s while driving around town at least for now... but on the rocks, I am really having to work the clutch and the skinny pedal, while the rubicons are just crawling over the obstacles.

Of course in hind-site, I should of got a Rubicon, but who knew that this off roading thing would be so addictive (oh, everyone on this forum).

Now, I'm thinking that maybe I should just start off with a transfer case upgrade + the D30 truss and C's to give me that power and control when crawling. Then next year do the axles upgrades and gearing changes.

What say you?

Turbineguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Ruby_Tuesday
2012 JK Wrangler 

An Atlas would be awesome...if you got the coin do it, you won't regret it.
Ruby_Tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Atlas would be really cool, but it looks like a big undertaking too! (fairly custom to mount it) First I would look for a Rubi takeoff as that would be straight bolt in and more than likely enough for your needs. But if you plan on going BIG I think an Atlas might be a worthy upgrade
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rubicrawler a possibility for you? A little easier to install and still will lower your ratio quite a bit. I'd have to look in to it more but just throwing it out there as an idea.
Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ah crap you talked about skinny pedal... I don't think they make the rubicrawler for manual transmissions...
Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmars07 View Post
Ah crap you talked about skinny pedal... I don't think they make the rubicrawler for manual transmissions...
Correct
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Tuesday View Post
An Atlas would be awesome...if you got the coin do it, you won't regret it.
It would probably end up costing $4 to $4.5 K installed.
Unread 09-06-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

The extra torque of that low range will shorten the lifespan of your front shafts especially at the u joint. I would factor in cromolly shafts or rcv's if that d30 is expected to survive long.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ IMHO, I don't recommend chromoly or RCV shafts on the D30 at all. Better to snap an axle shaft than grenade your diff, the D30 has an awefully small center section.

Though I love the Atlas 4-speed, she's expensive. Personally, I'd go for a Rubi 4:1 swap first (or even the Atlas 4.1:1), which would be less than half the cost of the Atlas 4. I still think that you'd be better off beefing your D30 with sleeves and gussets at a bare minimum, then regear and add lockers than go for a high-end transfer case swap.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
^^^ IMHO, I don't recommend chromoly or RCV shafts on the D30 at all. Better to snap an axle shaft than grenade your diff, the D30 has an awefully small center section.

Though I love the Atlas 4-speed, she's expensive. Personally, I'd go for a Rubi 4:1 swap first (or even the Atlas 4.1:1), which would be less than half the cost of the Atlas 4. I still think that you'd be better off beefing your D30 with sleeves and gussets at a bare minimum, then regear and add lockers than go for a high-end transfer case swap.
Agreed, problem is finding a rubi take out t-case from a 2012-2013. I know the computer won't recognize the lower ratio in the automatic, not sure on the 6spd.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Geez, I never thought that it would be an issue, whether an automatic or manual. And the T-case should be the same down to the 07's, aren't they?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #12
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Good read. I though I wanted a Rubi transfer case but instead got 4.88 and ARB front and rear.. I also did truss my D30, I am really happy no serious rock crawling just trail rides with lots of rocks. I to was happy with 3.73 and my 315/70/17s but after 4.88 WOW what a huge difference. Has massive torque, but I have the auto.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Geez, I never thought that it would be an issue, whether an automatic or manual. And the T-case should be the same down to the 07's, aren't they?
I'm having "issues" linking back this page from my phone right now, but you can search for this....Rubicon 4:1 transfercase into sport question. It gives a little insight.

Unread 09-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Update:

I found a Rubicon T-Case which I am having put in next week.

Also, in a case of poor self control, I am also swapping the front D30 for a ProRock 44 with RCV axles, ARB locker, and 4.88s, 1350 yoke. Adding new front driveshaft. I'm also adding an ARB to the rear with Alloy 35 spline axles.

So bottom line, I took my carefully laid out budget and destroyed it.

My kids really weren't college material anyway.
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbineguy
Update:

I found a Rubicon T-Case which I am having put in next week.

Also, in a case of poor self control, I am also swapping the front D30 for a ProRock 44 with RCV axles, ARB locker, and 4.88s, 1350 yoke. Adding new front driveshaft. I'm also adding an ARB to the rear with Alloy 35 spline axles.

So bottom line, I took my carefully laid out budget and destroyed it.

My kids really weren't college material anyway.
Haha. Sweet. Sounds like something I'd do.

I'm still on the fence about spending more on my factory d44 (already with sleeves, gussets, truss etc) by adding rcvs and gears, vs selling the axle as it sits and having a pr44 built similarly.

I believe I've spent roughly $18-20k in jeep add ons in the last year so I'm trying to slow it down a bit for now.

By the way, before installing the rubi case, check for any slop in the front output shaft. Now would be a good time to replace bearings if needed, or a teraflex 2 low kit if its something you might be interested in.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.