Assuming we'll have a DIESEL Wrangler in '15... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Assuming we'll have a DIESEL Wrangler in '15...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #16
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Because VW builds way higher quality vehicles.

We bought a golf tdi 6 speed new in 2010. Best car we have ever owned. It has 55k miles on it and it had been rock solid. Great power, awesome mileage and its a fun car to drive.

For jeep/Chrysler/fiat it would be a mechanical nightmare!
Apparently you didn't see the news the other day. VW for the last 30 years has been one of the worst companies in the world and has had some of the highest recall numbers of vehicles of any brand. They are utter garbage. In fact, they are one of the few companies that has consistently recalled vehicles at more than a 1:1 ratio since 1985. When you're recalling more vehicles at a greater number than what you're selling...that's a red flag that your product sucks.

Compare this to Chrysler, who was #3 on the list, fell during the late 90s/early 00s when the Germans got involved, and is now climbing back up the list and sits at #9 currently.

And, how many threads are we going to see about diesel before people understand that THERE WILL BE NO DIESEL NEXT YEAR? The CEO has said many times there will be no diesel until MAYBE the next generation Wrangler debuts which is 24 months away from now. So if you need a new Jeep now, stop waiting and just go buy one.

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Diesels mating tranny's with sticks.

Strange. Very strange.

But seriously added torque aside - wouldn't the extra weight make crawling a bit harder? Other than of course the option of squashing the rocks rather than crawl em...

I know that in my Ford deisel - if the pasture is muddy the front sinks hopelessly stuck before 4wd can even do anything. Dad's Dodge (gasser 4X) handles it no problem.

That's why I question the extra weight and its deduction of value over the added torque...
With accessories, the A630 weighs 507 lbs, bare it weighs 485 lbs. Not too bad. Certainly nothing like the big diesels in our pickups. Source:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

My Cummins weighs 1100 lbs with accessories, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Because VW builds way higher quality vehicles.

We bought a golf tdi 6 speed new in 2010. Best car we have ever owned. It has 55k miles on it and it had been rock solid. Great power, awesome mileage and its a fun car to drive.

For jeep/Chrysler/fiat it would be a mechanical nightmare!
You can still get a 6 speed manual in a new diesel Ram 2500/3500. It's hardly a nightmare. And I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of Fiats are running around Europe with little turbo diesels. I think they can handle it.

Last edited by tslewisz; 04-16-2014 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: mistyped a number
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #18
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
And, how many threads are we going to see about diesel before people understand that THERE WILL BE NO DIESEL NEXT YEAR? The CEO has said many times there will be no diesel until MAYBE the next generation Wrangler debuts which is 24 months away from now. So if you need a new Jeep now, stop waiting and just go buy one.
So are you saying there is a chance that we'll get a diesel JK next year???
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #19
OldJeeper
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79 View Post
IF they do a diesel it won't be until the refresh for the 2017 model.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Powered View Post
http://http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2016-jeep-wrangler-to-get-diesel-engine.html

Yeah- I know we don't really know for sure when this will happen...but this seems as credible as any I guess. I'm not the type to buy & trade within a year or 2, but I dunno if I can (or want) to wait 1.5-2yrs to find out. I might just have to pick up a used (newer) one and ride that wave out.

And I agree- the diesel stick would be a blast. I can't imagine it would be that hard for them to screw up.
That article in Edmunds is already over a year old, and wasn't very current even then. Back then, the redesigned Wrangler was thought to be coming out for 2015, and therefore, referred to simply as the "2015 Wrangler". We now know that the redesign isn't coming out until 2017 or even 2018.
OldJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #20
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post

You can still get a 6 speed manual in a new diesel Ram 2500/3500. It's hardly a nightmare. And I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of Fiats are running around Europe with little turbo diesels. I think they can handle it.
Yeah with a 200lbs-ft torque loss, they have to de-tune the engine to make less power so the trans will actually survive.
Unread 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJeeper View Post
+1

That article in Edmunds is already over a year old, and wasn't very current even then. Back then, the redesigned Wrangler was thought to be coming out for 2015, and therefore, referred to simply as the "2015 Wrangler". We now know that the redesign isn't coming out until 2017 or even 2018.
Did you read the article? It states: "The engine will be introduced toward the end of the model's lifecycle to boost sales before they bring in the redesigned model"

There's been talk for a few years now with such strong sales that the typical 10 year cycle on the JK would likely be extended.
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:23 AM   #22
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
So are you saying there is a chance that we'll get a diesel JK next year???
Lol. 24 months equals a year now? Seriously?

Let's try this... there will be no diesel for 2015 or 2016. The earliest that the Wrangler might get diesel power for the U.S. market is the 2017 model year, which is also the all-new Wrangler, which will start showing up in press materials and auto shows 24 months from now.

To the OP...yes the diesel would feel TOTALLY different. The diesel can make close to 400 lb/ft of torque at 1,600 RPM. Compare that to the Pentastar gas V6 which makes about 190ish lb/ft at the same RPM. NIGHT AND DAY difference between the two.

With these small turbo-diesels, you can dip into the throttle and it'll set you back in the seat without downshifting while in overdrive. It's something that you would never believe if all you've owned is gas engines.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

The problem will be the price. A JKUR is already 40k with minimal options, the diesel option on the Grand Cherokee is $4500 and it'll only go up from there.
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #24
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Lol. 24 months equals a year now? Seriously?

Let's try this... there will be no diesel for 2015 or 2016. The earliest that the Wrangler might get diesel power for the U.S. market is the 2017 model year, which is also the all-new Wrangler, which will start showing up in press materials and auto shows 24 months from now.
SOOOOO... you're saying diesel Wrangler in 2015?
(I thought I typed it sarcastically enough)
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #25
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Yeah with a 200lbs-ft torque loss, they have to de-tune the engine to make less power so the trans will actually survive.
You're absolutely right about that. Detuned to ~600 ft-lbs. so some dip**** doesn't stand on it at 1200 RPM in high gear and break things. However, you do have to give them credit for being the only manufacturer to still offer a manual in their heavy duty pickups. And truth be known, even with the right automatic, I've read that the circumstances are kind of rare that the engine is allowed to create 850 ft-lbs.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #26
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ive driven the Ram 1500 with that little diesel. It was a dog. With fleas. By the time you do the math, the 5.7 Hemi is the better choice, as far as I am concerned.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #27
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Ive driven the Ram 1500 with that little diesel. It was a dog. With fleas. By the time you do the math, the 5.7 Hemi is the better choice, as far as I am concerned.
When you consider the price it's really not worth it. If the Wrangler gets a diesel I bet its a $5k option.
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #28
jimmyjam2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79 View Post

When you consider the price it's really not worth it. If the Wrangler gets a diesel I bet its a $5k option.
But when you sell it or trade it in you make up for the extra upfront money.
jimmyjam2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #29
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Great advice--

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjam2014 View Post
But when you sell it or trade it in you make up for the extra upfront money.
Then you should buy a RUBICON/DIESEL, then you really get a final benefit--right ?

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #30
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

settles it for me, i am waiting for the new diesel gladiator jeep pick up.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.