Assuming we'll have a DIESEL Wrangler in '15... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Assuming we'll have a DIESEL Wrangler in '15...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

Assuming we'll have a DIESEL Wrangler in '15...

Do you think everyone will harp on the re-gearing issue as much going with bigger tires (35's & up)? I am one of the people that held off on getting a '14 (JKU Rubi) only because I want to see what '15 has to offer...

I have yet to experience the 3.0 Diesel in the GC or truck. Those of you that have- if we basically get the same in the Wrangler...think it will feel the same?? Even though I'll prob stay with a stick...I can't imagine they'd actually throw the 8sp auto in there, but who knows. A co-worker just picked up a new Durango 2 days ago with the Hemi & 8sp tranny...that thing is perfect & smooth for that truck.

It would be nice to experience the torque of the Diesel with stock gears (4.10's or whatever) and still feel plenty of power with 35's. Thoughts? Oh...and I hope the bring back Gekko Green or DOZER.

Unread 04-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

i cannot see that fitting under a 2d. the w580 takes up some room as it is. IF they do put the CRD i would bet it will cost a lot more. Dozer was popular. not so much for geco.

the trend for a CRD is a auto? they have any that are manuals?
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah- I'm guessing they'd stick with the 5sp Auto, as the "target" off-road Wrangler customer would have no need for 8 anyway. But then again, they now slap 3.73's in Rubi's too. I have no idea about the manual option...but I just can't believe that after all these years they'd have NO MANUAL tranny's available for a Jeep Wrangler. No matter how nice the auto is...something about it being the ONLY option for the flagship off-roader just seems WRONG...but I can't think of any current new diesels being mated to a stick.

I'm more interested in honest comparisons people here may have had with the new 3.0 compared to the 3.6. Forget about the gas mileage & cost for a minute...do you think this thing would FEEL (sort) of like a Hemi off the line?? But yeah, we can expect a nice cost jump for the CRD...it's about 5K more for a loaded GC over the 3.6 gasser I think.
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Diesels mating tranny's with sticks.

Strange. Very strange.

But seriously added torque aside - wouldn't the extra weight make crawling a bit harder? Other than of course the option of squashing the rocks rather than crawl em...

I know that in my Ford deisel - if the pasture is muddy the front sinks hopelessly stuck before 4wd can even do anything. Dad's Dodge (gasser 4X) handles it no problem.

That's why I question the extra weight and its deduction of value over the added torque...
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Fuel savings is another issue. Of course, the opposite side of the coin - is troublesome emissions and astronomical repair bills if you have a lemon.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
poolboy93
2012 JK Wrangler 

does VW not still make a manual with the TDI, they always used too so why couldn't jeep?
poolboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Powered View Post
Yeah- But then again, they now slap 3.73's in Rubi's too. .
Because the W580 has a lower gear ratio than the 42le and it can handle about 2x the torque of the manual. 3:73 is in effect lower do to the way a auto works than the 4:1 manual. Though when I had our 2012 Rubi built I had them put in the optional 4:1. with 32"s i could melt the tires. with 35"s i can still turn them with out hardly trying. The new auto is best of the new parts even over the 3.6. in design and function.
Unread 04-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #8
ridesno4llfe
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboy93 View Post
does VW not still make a manual with the TDI, they always used too so why couldn't jeep?
My mother bought a 2013 golf tdi with a 6speed last year. Makes the diesel a blast to drive.
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #9
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboy93
Because VW builds way higher quality vehicles.

We bought a golf tdi 6 speed new in 2010. Best car we have ever owned. It has 55k miles on it and it had been rock solid. Great power, awesome mileage and its a fun car to drive.

For jeep/Chrysler/fiat it would be a mechanical nightmare!
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

IF they do a diesel it won't be until the refresh for the 2017 model.
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just outa curiousity, are you saying that your 2012 JKUR now has a 4/1 xfer case that will use that 4/1 ratio in other gears, besides 4lo ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Because the W580 has a lower gear ratio than the 42le and it can handle about 2x the torque of the manual. 3:73 is in effect lower do to the way a auto works than the 4:1 manual. Though when I had our 2012 Rubi built I had them put in the optional 4:1. with 32"s i could melt the tires. with 35"s i can still turn them with out hardly trying. The new auto is best of the new parts even over the 3.6. in design and function.
That must be something !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #12
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
Just outa curiousity, are you saying that your 2012 JKUR now has a 4/1 xfer case that will use that 4/1 ratio in other gears, besides 4lo ?? That must be something ! JIMBO
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets mildly annoyed when people write 4:1 when they mean 4.10:1.

For the record y'all:
4.10:1 gears are what you'll find in your differentials (or 3.73:1 or 3.27:1, etc)
4:1 gearing is what you'll find in a Rubicon transfer case.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79 View Post
IF they do a diesel it won't be until the refresh for the 2017 model.
I dunno, our North American society has a hard-on for numbers that end in zero or five, I wouldn't be surprised with a refreshing celebration with the '15.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Powered View Post
Yeah- I'm guessing they'd stick with the 5sp Auto, as the "target" off-road Wrangler customer would have no need for 8 anyway.
I cannot tell if this was serious about off roaders being the target market
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

http://http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2016-jeep-wrangler-to-get-diesel-engine.html

Yeah- I know we don't really know for sure when this will happen...but this seems as credible as any I guess. I'm not the type to buy & trade within a year or 2, but I dunno if I can (or want) to wait 1.5-2yrs to find out. I might just have to pick up a used (newer) one and ride that wave out.

And I agree- the diesel stick would be a blast. I can't imagine it would be that hard for them to screw up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.