Armor for fire lanes, fields, creeks and streams? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Armor for fire lanes, fields, creeks and streams?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Reply
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Armor for fire lanes, fields, creeks and streams?

Hi All,

New JK owner and I live in MO. I don't plan on rock crawling, deep mud, or ocean beaches. There will be gravel bars, small beaches, small rocks and fallen trees and other obstacles in my life.

My mission is to have something that is fun, lets me get to fishing streams, camp [I'm planning a trailer], deer hunt, light trails and good times with friends and grand-sons.

Does the stock JK Sport have sufficient clearance to do what I plan or do I need some under-armor and/or height increase?

I want to be smart about it but I don't feel the need to build something just to impress others.

Thanks,

John

__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler
 
ronjenx's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,826
My advice is to start using the JK, and add things as you find the need.
You may discover it's OK as is.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx
My advice is to start using the JK, and add things as you find the need.
You may discover it's OK as is.
Agree. No sense in spending money on something that may not have been needed in the first place.
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
222Doc
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 4,492
Yes all the above that say go as is first. THOUGH, if you have a auto in your Jk it would be worth getting a real trans motor skid. Only because there is a line that comes out off the trans and crosses under. Its cheep aluminum tube. One branch kicks up catches that and you are SOL. I am not sure all of these type skids will fit under a stock Jeep?

Tires for the terrain. AIR down, even just to smooth out the ride will make the jeep have a lot more traction and save a side wall. Cheep set of front sway disconnects will also make the ride better off road, better articulation.
__________________
[URL=http://www.bullhead4wheelersinc.com[/URL]
222Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Yes all the above that say go as is first. THOUGH, if you have a auto in your Jk it would be worth getting a real trans motor skid. Only because there is a line that comes out off the trans and crosses under. Its cheep aluminum tube. One branch kicks up catches that and you are SOL. I am not sure all of these type skids will fit under a stock Jeep?
Excellent. Do you have a recommendation[s] for a tranny skid plate? You had urls under your post but they didn't create 'links' so not sure if they were recommendations.
__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

Tires for the terrain. AIR down, even just to smooth out the ride will make the jeep have a lot more traction and save a side wall.
Not trying to be a smart-a$$, I truly don't know: are the stock tires not 'beefy' enough for light trails. I'd guess that in mileage driven it'll be 75% pavement, 15% back/dirt/rock roads, 10% light off trail. It isn't my DD.

If there are significant differences between stock and 'terrain' tires... what kind, type, brand of tires should I consider?

I know these are really fundamental questions but I am starting from zero experience.

Thanks,

John
__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Cheep set of front sway disconnects will also make the ride better off road, better articulation.
Once again ....

How much is cheap? What kind are cheap? Are better ones not much more? Any particular brands, styles you recommend? Not sure what they do or how they work? Any guidance would be most welcome.

Thanks,

John
__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Godholio
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Haven, UT
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dRid3r View Post
Not trying to be a smart-a$$, I truly don't know: are the stock tires not 'beefy' enough for light trails. I'd guess that in mileage driven it'll be 75% pavement, 15% back/dirt/rock roads, 10% light off trail. It isn't my DD.

If there are significant differences between stock and 'terrain' tires... what kind, type, brand of tires should I consider?

I know these are really fundamental questions but I am starting from zero experience.

Thanks,

John
They're not too bad. I've taken mine off road a few times in the Utah mountains, and in the snow. I'll upgrade when the original tires are worn down enough to justify the cost.

What I would definitely recommend is to find a local Jeep club and tag along. If the terrain gets too much and you get stuck, you'll have someone to pull you out and you'll have a much better idea of what you and your Jeep can handle.

The only mods I've done to my '12 Sport is a shorter antenna and a bottle opener on the rear bumper.
__________________
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
They're not too bad. I've taken mine off road a few times in the Utah mountains, and in the snow. I'll upgrade when the original tires are worn down enough to justify the cost.

What I would definitely recommend is to find a local Jeep club and tag along. If the terrain gets too much and you get stuck, you'll have someone to pull you out and you'll have a much better idea of what you and your Jeep can handle.

The only mods I've done to my '12 Sport is a shorter antenna and a bottle opener on the rear bumper.
LoL....

You sound like my kind of guy!

Bottle opener and using stock tires until they need replacing.

I have a bottle opener [ace kindly gave me one when I bought my rock rails from them]

and, I hoped to wait on tire replacement until these were worn. If I need to replace them, ok but if not necessary, I'd prefer to wait.

I should look for a Jeep club in StL and find out what my capabilities are. I'll search this forum and see if any are listed anywhere - great suggestion, thanks.

John
__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Monkeybomber
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: toms river, NJ
Posts: 119
You'd be surprised at how far the stock tires will get you. I've been off road a decent amount ( beach, mudding and rock krawling) with them and I've gotten completely stuck only once, and that was two foot deep water. My advice? If you're worried about getting stuck, air down to 12-15 psi. Bring along a 1' x 1' board to use as a jack stand. Keep a shovel in the Jeep, as well as a flashlight. Those three items have gotten me out of a lot of tough situations.

Finally, buy a recovery strap and keep in in the Jeep for when the above fails.

Other than that, I'm not sure if you really need armor. Jks have pretty decent clearance to begin with, and the stock armor is ok (but not great). Maybe an oil pan skid if you're really worried about it.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler
 
Prot's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 7,345
When the time comes to replace tires, you can put on a set of Rubicon take offs which can be had cheap with plenty of life left in them.

Alternatively, replacing the tires with 285/70-17 is a very popular thing to do. There are lots of choices available in that size. It's basically a 33" tire that is roughly 11.25" wide. Space the wheels out a bit and a 1" budget boost and you are good to go. This will also increase your ground clearance some while costing very little money.

I am a big advocate of replacing front and rear bumpers. They are useful both on and off road. I got rear ended one night by a girl that was following me too close on a rainy night. I had to make a quick stop because an ambulance was going to come across the intersection with it's red lights and siren. She slid right into me pretty hard. The front of her car was crushed. I didn't even have a scratch on my JK. I have Mopar front and rear steel bumpers. I paid $415 for the rear and $425 for the front. They only charged me $35 to install them. The stock bumpers are plastic garbage and get messed up simply by backing into a trash can. I also have the front Mopar skid plate that attaches to the front bumper. It protects my steering components and sort of smashes branches and stuff I am running over and prevent them from going up and getting into the radiator, serpentine belt, or anything else up there.

To me, bumpers should be the first mod simply because the stockers are useless and you have a benefit both on and off road.

By the way, when I got hit from behind, it was hard enough enough that it snapped the left pin on the back of my seat that supports it in the vertical position.
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Unlimited Sahara in progress
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

I am a big advocate of replacing front and rear bumpers. They are useful both on and off road. I got rear ended one night by a girl that was following me too close on a rainy night. I had to make a quick stop because an ambulance was going to come across the intersection with it's red lights and siren. She slid right into me pretty hard. The front of her car was crushed. I didn't even have a scratch on my JK. I have Mopar front and rear steel bumpers. I paid $415 for the rear and $425 for the front. They only charged me $35 to install them. The stock bumpers are plastic garbage and get messed up simply by backing into a trash can. I also have the front Mopar skid plate that attaches to the front bumper. It protects my steering components and sort of smashes branches and stuff I am running over and prevent them from going up and getting into the radiator, serpentine belt, or anything else up there.

To me, bumpers should be the first mod simply because the stockers are useless and you have a benefit both on and off road.

By the way, when I got hit from behind, it was hard enough enough that it snapped the left pin on the back of my seat that supports it in the vertical position.
Do you have pictures and/or part numbers for the Mopar steel bumpers?

Also the skid plate?

I see you have an '07.... were stock bumpers on that year different than the stock bumpers on my '13?

Thanks for the excellent suggestions.
__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
Prot
Web Wheeler
 
Prot's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 7,345
Bumpers for JK's will bolt up for all model years. In some years and models, they have a silver plastic insert in the middle for appearances which is removable. Regardless, the stock bumpers are absolute garbage.

I just looked and apparently the prices have gone up big time since 2007. Those same bumpers now sell for close to $800 each. Absolutely incredible how much of a price increase in such a short time for the same product from the same manufacturer.
__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Unlimited Sahara in progress
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
R3dRid3r
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: StL, Mo
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Bumpers for JK's will bolt up for all model years. In some years and models, they have a silver plastic insert in the middle for appearances which is removable. Regardless, the stock bumpers are absolute garbage.

I just looked and apparently the prices have gone up big time since 2007. Those same bumpers now sell for close to $800 each. Absolutely incredible how much of a price increase in such a short time for the same product from the same manufacturer.
Ya, I thought so. when I went to find what you referenced I could not [in the price range you said they cost].

Not certain they are worth it at that price.
__________________
"You'll Shoot Your Eye Out"
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Prot
Web Wheeler
 
Prot's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 7,345
Here are a couple of pictures of the bumper I was referring to, which has now gone up so much that I think there are better options at that price point. I got them mostly because the price was pretty good for what you get.
jeep-pictures05.jpg

jeep-pictures02.jpg

jeep-pictures01.jpg

__________________
2014 Copperhead Pearl Unlimited Sahara in progress
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.