Anyone using the Currie Tow Bar Mounting Plate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone using the Currie Tow Bar Mounting Plate?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 01-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
jcgribks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone using the Currie Tow Bar Mounting Plate?

Does anyone have the Currie tow bar mounting plate CE-9033JK? How do you like it? Does it work with a Blue Ox tow bar? I know that Currie's site says it will work with a blue ox but someone else's post (can't find it now) said that the blue ox tow bar he had didn't fit.

Also anyone with a 2010 and up, what modifications did you have to do to get the Currie plate to fit. The web site says minor trimming.

Thanks,
John

jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I installed a RoadMaster - but the currie would see the same minor trimming - a hole or two on the frame and cross support needs drilled out trimmed, 2 on a five scale for difficulty.

Instructions
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
jcgribks
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't know about the Roadmaster baseplate but the Blue Ox I've installed before on my 06 TJ and in the directions for my 2012 JKU, all I had to do was drill some mounting holes, no trimming. The Currie says minor trimming to the frame/crossmember. I'd like to know how much trimming. Sure I can call Currie and they'll probably say it's only minor. I'd like to hear from someone that acually installed the Currie on an 2010 and up.

If I have to cut or trim up the frame, I might just go ahead and buy the Blue Ox. Not that I'm not capable in doing it, I just don't want to cut up the frame on a brand new JKU.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Look under the front cross - the side plates come down slightly below the actual cross (by about 1/4 inch) - pretty sure thats the trim spot - when you look at the instructions page 2 photo 8 the down brace with the 3 holes... slightly longer on 10+ models... I would think that unless its a foot narrower the Blue Ox would hit that corner as well.

Just trying to be helpful no need to get snarky.

Snarky is MY territory lol.

EDIT: as a matter of kindness - here is the blue ox instructions - they have ya whacking off a good six inches (photos 6-10) of the pre 10. - the blue ox (like roadmaster) attaches to the frame rails while the currie attaches to the bumper and cross. I prefer the blueox or roadmaster design for strength... but the currie gives ya a real nice front skid!
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
RubiconTested
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Look under the front cross - the side plates come down slightly below the actual cross (by about 1/4 inch) - pretty sure thats the trim spot - when you look at the instructions page 2 photo 8 the down brace with the 3 holes... slightly longer on 10+ models... I would think that unless its a foot narrower the Blue Ox would hit that corner as well.

Just trying to be helpful no need to get snarky.

Snarky is MY territory lol.

EDIT: as a matter of kindness - here is the blue ox instructions - they have ya whacking off a good six inches (photos 6-10) of the pre 10. - the blue ox (like roadmaster) attaches to the frame rails while the currie attaches to the bumper and cross. I prefer the blueox or roadmaster design for strength... but the currie gives ya a real nice front skid!
To clarify and confirm, yes, on 2010 up the way Jeep put the crossmember together was slightly different, not leaving a smooth underside to mount to at the ends. That is where the slight trimming / grinding is needed. As earlier posted, not very difficult. Currie used my '12 to confirm no additional changes last year when new, and one guy had it trimmed, installed and removed in about 20 minutes.

EDIT: Found a photo to show where/what. This photo was during my bumper install and not for the tow bar plate - the frame cutting is NOT required for the tow bar plate.
Austin
cross-1.jpg  

Last edited by RubiconTested; 01-28-2013 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: Found a photo.
RubiconTested is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.