Anyone with a Truetrac in their 2012/2013 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Anyone with a Truetrac in their 2012/2013

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had a TT in my ProRock44 that I just pulled from my 2010 JK (now for sale ). It did great in snow, dirt, and mud. It's perfect for the steering axle. My only other preference over the TT would be an ARB, but then you're talking some big $$$.

Unread 08-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #17
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Does the Anti Spin rear perform as well, or nearly as well as a locker?

I doubt that I'd ever need it, but aprox how much does it cost to have a shop install a front locker?
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #18
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
Does the Anti Spin rear perform as well, or nearly as well as a locker?

I doubt that I'd ever need it, but aprox how much does it cost to have a shop install a front locker?

A TrueTrac is not a locker. It is a limited slip. Limited slips are better than open rear ends but do not work like a locker.

The TrueTrac is good for a DD that will keep all 4 tires on the ground.

If you plan on lifting tires you need a locker, not a limited slip.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Would all of you with TT say that you saw a noticeable difference in traction in snow, dirt, back roads? Been wanting a set for awhile but always leery cause everyone says you don't notice them on the road, well maybe that's cause they don't limit slip very much.
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #20
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej132
Would all of you with TT say that you saw a noticeable difference in traction in snow, dirt, back roads? Been wanting a set for awhile but always leery cause everyone says you don't notice them on the road, well maybe that's cause they don't limit slip very much.
You don't notice them on the road because the tires aren't slipping anyway normally.
They are a smooth gear driven limited slip. They will absolutely make a difference on snow and dirt, sand etc. where tires would normally be spinning.
On a JK with traction control, the individual wheel braking should be able to nearly lock up that limited slip in a situation where a tire is almost off the ground. As one wheel spins, brakes will get applied to that wheel, forcing the torque back to the other side. However in 4 low the traction control is disabled so it wouldn't have as much help, still way better than an open diff.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have the Anti Spin, 3.73 rear end, on the "Mandatory List" when I order in six weeks.

I watched the Brake Lock thing on the Jeep website videos. i get that......
Now..... Why doesn't Jeep offer an Anti Spin dif for the front, as well?
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Liability, it does change how it drives and when you mix the general public with that it can get messy. Look how much they control the front locker in the rubicon! It can only be used in 4-lo and under certain speed. A limited slip diff can't be governed by the computer so they can't keep people from hurting themselves.

I haven't heard of any manufacturer putting a limited slip in the front from the factory. Very few vehicles have been offered with front lockers of any sort. Toyota and jeep are the only "mainstream" vehicles I can think of.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
matt03snk

I believe the raptor has a limited slip in the front.
matt03snk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #24
slider_68
2011 JK Wrangler 

Correct, the Raptor has a Torsen LSD up front, Ford also offered a front LSD as an option on full sized Broncos for several years
slider_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #25
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

The raptor LSD must be a newer option, I am pretty sure the 2012's didn't have that even as an option. They must have added it in the 2013-2014 model? That's cool!

I don't recall there being one in the bronco's but they made those for a lot of years and the earlier versions were pretty offroad friendly. Were they in the earlier versions 70-80's? Growing up I had a neighbor that had a really nice 79? bronco.

Still, not a lot of front traction devices were used in production vehicles. Maybe there are more out there than I thought though.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #26
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had an 87 bronco(first year with the big front bumper) and you could get a front lsd. in those.
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's interesting, did they offer it in the trucks too?

I think the newer dodge power wagon has a front locker?
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #28
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
That's interesting, did they offer it in the trucks too?

I think the newer dodge power wagon has a front locker?
Dont know if they came in the pickups.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej132 View Post
I will swear by the True Tracs. After I had them put in my WJ I had no problem in the snow. I live in the country and sometimes the drifts were so high that I was just cutting the tops of them off and never slowed down.

In my JKU they have definitely make a difference. Before installing them in the snow it was hard to drive because the traction control was kicking in all the time. After installing them the traction control very seldom activates.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
river2c
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
You don't notice them on the road because the tires aren't slipping anyway normally.
They are a smooth gear driven limited slip. They will absolutely make a difference on snow and dirt, sand etc. where tires would normally be spinning.
On a JK with traction control, the individual wheel braking should be able to nearly lock up that limited slip in a situation where a tire is almost off the ground. As one wheel spins, brakes will get applied to that wheel, forcing the torque back to the other side. However in 4 low the traction control is disabled so it wouldn't have as much help, still way better than an open diff.
I think you are confusing the ESC (Electronic Stability Control) with the BLD (Traction Control System). The BLD "limited slip" cannot be turned off and is always on in all drive modes including 4L.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.